Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Monkey Training - Little did I know the extent of damage done by todays run... (Read 470 times)

This is the heel of my shoe...

The Thunder

Geez, how many miles do you have on that shoe?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

The Greatest of All Time

God damn son. Either you're a fat fucker or that shoe is about 2 years old. I guessing the later.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Was it all a dream?

Yeah, go buy some new shoes...

S&M Collector

Yes, seriously. Buy new shoes! Reminds me of my first pair. I finally bought some real running shoes 2 weeks before my very first marathon. Thank goodness.
            Come across any cool medals lately?
              They're only a few months old. I'm thinking the Monkeys sprinkled some acid or something on the trails. (They probably read these boards and know when we're coming). I ordered two new pair yesterday, so I'll probably get some big PRs soon. Big grin ...and I range from 170-175, so at 5' 10", 175, my BMI says I'm overweight. Thanks for pointing that out Marcus Clowning around
                I'm 5'7" and 170 and my Saucony Trigon Ride 5s have probably 510 miles on them. They don't look anything like that.
                  Im such a shoe snob. I put 300 miles on a shoe and I toss it. Tony ... toss that shoe.

The Thunder

Im such a shoe snob. I put 300 miles on a shoe and I toss it. Tony ... toss that shoe.
                    Yeah, 350 tops here.

These weren't this bad before the run Sunday. I usually go about 400 (when I'm keeping a log). MTA: I think those steep downhills were rough on the heels.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lean forward into the descents. You need to be perpendicular to the slope.

The Thunder

These weren't this bad before the run Sunday. I usually go about 400 (when I'm keeping a log). MTA: I think those steep downhills were rough on the heels.
                            Dude, a shoe shouldn't look like that even after 400 miles. What type of shoe was it, and how long have you had it? Do you walk around in your running shoes too?

Dude, a shoe shouldn't look like that even after 400 miles. What type of shoe was it, and how long have you had it? Do you walk around in your running shoes too?
                              They are Saucony Trigon Guide 4 (or 5). I ordered them mid-April and I only run in them. It's hard to find this model and the newer model made the outside of my calf tight and I started having back pain, so I went back to the old ones. I didn't realize I'd had them since April. Still I don't think I have much over 500 miles on them.

Why is it sideways?

I'd be curious to see the rest of your sole. Looks to me like you heel strike very hard, which is what's causing the excessive wear on the back portion of the shoe. That excessive wear is a sign of energy being lost in every step. You might benefit from paying attention to how your foot is striking the ground, making sure you're not "braking" with your foot strike, and maybe working on landing closer to the midfoot, rather than the heel.