Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Monkey run in jeopardy (Read 733 times)

During running before the 2nd kid came along, I pulled something out of place. 10 days off didn't fix, but yesterday I was able to pull a 7 miler with "4/10 pain" the whole way. At the doctor's today, he gives me the "that's what I was afraid of" sigh. SI joint injury. Scheduling PT to try to work things back into place. I was pretty much at ease with a 50 mile week two weeks ago. Don't know where I'll end up on the other side of this issue. Louisville Marathon is out. I'm probably not going to ditch my gigs for a 1/2.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh no!!! I'm sorry to hear that!! You rest!! Rest/recovering now is better than running now and putting yourself out of the game farther down the road!!
      JakeKnight

Sorry to hear that. The Monkey is still a long ways off. I hope you can heal up and at least come run it for fun.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Sorry to hear that. The Monkey is still a long ways off. I hope you can heal up and at least come run it for fun.
          Fun run??? I thought this was a torture run. I'm probably going to hit some intense bike miles in the gym to keep up some measly percentage of my aerobic capacity. Doctor strongly suggested that I stay off running until I'm cleared by PT. I'm mostly mobile right now, so I should have a decent shot at getting back to it. Should I go ahead schedule a doctor's appt for Tuesday after the Monkey (after the quad pain subsides enough to feel the other pains?)
            Should I go ahead schedule a doctor's appt for Tuesday after the Monkey (after the quad pain subsides enough to feel the other pains?)
            Yes, and also pick out a casket, buy a cemetary plot, etc...just in case.

At the doctor's today, he gives me the "that's what I was afraid of" sigh.
              Sorry to hear about that. I hope things go as planned and you can PT your way to being better asap.

Michelle

Fun run??? I thought this was a torture run. I'm probably going to hit some intense bike miles in the gym to keep up some measly percentage of my aerobic capacity. Doctor strongly suggested that I stay off running until I'm cleared by PT. I'm mostly mobile right now, so I should have a decent shot at getting back to it. Should I go ahead schedule a doctor's appt for Tuesday after the Monkey (after the quad pain subsides enough to feel the other pains?)
                That's what I thought too.... Sorry to hear about your troubles. Biking sounds good, and do you have access to a pool? I found pool running to be pretty decent as far as maintaining aerobic shape too. Sending healing vibes your way and hope to hear this clears up quickly.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Sorry to hear it Strings. I think Drew is running it with crutches and he's bringing extras so we can save you a spot back with us.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

S&M Collector

That's what I thought too.... Sorry to hear about your troubles. Biking sounds good, and do you have access to a pool? I found pool running to be pretty decent as far as maintaining aerobic shape too. Sending healing vibes your way and hope to hear this clears up quickly.
                    What Chenille said. About the biking and stuff. Just keep moving! Even if it is stationary or elliptical. Not scenic and it is difficult to keep staring at the time and calorie counter, but at least it's something. It'll help you in the long run. And, it might be a nice mental break too. You've putting in some pretty damn good mileage this year, despite all of the irons in the fire. Good luck working through this. I hope it goes well for you and that you're in good to go for a serious beatdown on 11/23.
                    Come across any cool medals lately?
                      What Chenille said. About the biking and stuff. Just keep moving! Even if it is stationary or elliptical. Not scenic and it is difficult to keep staring at the time and calorie counter, but at least it's something. It'll help you in the long run. And, it might be a nice mental break too. You've putting in some pretty damn good mileage this year, despite all of the irons in the fire. Good luck working through this. I hope it goes well for you and that you're in good to go for a serious beatdown on 11/23.
                      My blog label for cycling days is "i hate cycling." At the end of it, I got on the weight machines to expend the energy that I couldn't realize through my trashed quads. I'd go for road biking, but I live in a moderately redneck area and really don't want to die. I'm not sure about elliptical, yet. Less impact, but most impact would happen at the hip area. I'll have to ask my PT about it. Before I started running, I used to crank up the elevation and resistance on the elliptical. One thing I've found is that the machine rank in the following order in terms of bacteria transmission: 1) Elliptical 2) Stair Machine 3) Bikes 4) Treadmill I figure it's a combo of contact with the machine and health of rest of the people using it.

S&M Collector

I'm not sure about elliptical, yet. Less impact, but most impact would happen at the hip area. I'll have to ask my PT about it. Before I started running, I used to crank up the elevation and resistance on the elliptical.
                        Good point on this. Now that i did some google research, I can see where elliptical could be questionable. It's probably best not to listen to me!
                        One thing I've found is that the machine rank in the following order in terms of bacteria transmission: 1) Elliptical 2) Stair Machine 3) Bikes 4) Treadmill I figure it's a combo of contact with the machine and health of rest of the people using it.
                        Yeah, gyms are dirty and gross. And,fat old men have no shame when it comes to walking around naked in locker rooms. All in all, it's not the most pleasant place for one to be, yet it's a necessary evil for some people.
                          And,fat old men have no shame when it comes to walking around naked in locker rooms. All in all, it's not the most pleasant place for one to be, yet it's a necessary evil for some people.
                          So sad...... women's locker room is much nicer Tongue

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Good point on this. Now that i did some google research, I can see where elliptical could be questionable. It's probably best not to listen to me! Yeah, gyms are dirty and gross. And,fat old men have no shame when it comes to walking around naked in locker rooms. All in all, it's not the most pleasant place for one to be, yet it's a necessary evil for some people.
                            It's a gym at work. MTA: I asked the question of the PT... "When can I run again????" Answer was get into the physical therapy sessions (3 scheduled next week), I may be allowed 1-2 miles per day. Ack. Other activities... anything that doesn't hurt is allowed.

S&M Collector

DAMN! Well, good luck, strings, and I'm sure you'll keep us all posted!
                                DAMN! Well, good luck, strings, and I'm sure you'll keep us all posted!
                                Thanks. Don't worry; I'm pretty good at whining about injury.