Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Is this Monkey Training? (Read 617 times)

Why is it sideways?

Andrew - is this better? 9/13 – A 17 mile run with the last 5.8 or so in the park. 9/27 – 20 (none in the park) 10/11 – RACE (MURFREESBORO HM) 10/25 – 20 (with the last 11.2 +5.8 in the park) 11/8 – 20 with last 11.2 in the park
    Tony, I'm not Andrew, but that looks like a lot of long running to me. I'd say that looks about right if you've got 70 or so mpw backing it up. If not, I'd knock those long runs back to 17 or so. The long run puts the tiger in the cat, but if the cat's not strong enough the tiger just eats the cat and shits out a dead runner. If you want to go that long that frequently, make sure you run those runs VERY easy. Long runs are cool, but it's a steady diet of hilly 6-12 milers that will really do the trick.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What an odd metaphor.

Why is it sideways?

Thought you'd like that.

The Thunder

Tony, I'm not Andrew, but that looks like a lot of long running to me. I'd say that looks about right if you've got 70 or so mpw backing it up. If not, I'd knock those long runs back to 17 or so. The long run puts the tiger in the cat, but if the cat's not strong enough the tiger just eats the cat and shits out a dead runner. If you want to go that long that frequently, make sure you run those runs VERY easy. Long runs are cool, but it's a steady diet of hilly 6-12 milers that will really do the trick.
          Part 1- The "I'm not Andrew" part. Do you really feel the need to do that? I mean dude...you AREN'T Andrew, but you are Jeff Edmonds...and that is good enough for me. It should be good enough for you too. Part 2- The cat/tiger/shitting part. How does a tiger fit in a cat....and after that whole thing goes down...why is it pooping anything? Does the tiger finish up before eating the cat? Sort of like a black widow mate? Does the tiger try and pick and choose weak or strong cats to get in, and/or eat? Plus, where in the hell did this dead runner come from? Did the little weak cat eat him first? I'm so confused, but for some reason this all makes me want a bowl of Frosted Flakes, cause they're GREEEEEAAAAT!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

The Greatest of All Time

Tony, It's pretty tough to give you advice (not that I am going to anyway) when your log isn't public. As others have pointed out your plan is very aggressive and if you don't have the proper base you could well come out of that injured. Just sayin'
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

The Thunder

Oh SHIT! I just realized that Tony IS the tiger....TONY! Please don't shit out any dead runners!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Why is it sideways?

FWIW, I've only gone 20+ miles in training once, and it was at the end of a 106 mile week. This is one of my favorite topics, which is why I'm beating on this horse, but for those interested in the place of the long run in training, read this letsrun thread.
                  Thanks for all the input. Marcus - I'm not really keeping a log right now except what is downloaded from my Garmin, but I'm running 25 or less mpw right now. Not exactly a good base. I've been biking and swimming (trying to swim) since May. Jeff - I won't be able to run 70 mpw. Because of my schedule I can run 3-4 days one week, then 4-5 days the next week. I've heard other fast marathoners say they only did up to an 18 mile long run in training. I know it works for you and others, but I think I'm just missing something. Like what I need to do on the non-long run days. Probably just need more miles, but I'm limited there. I think I'll back off on the long run distances and just do one 20 mile run w/11.2 of it in the park. During the week, I can do 6-12 mile runs with hills. I made a spreadsheet, so at least I have a plan now.

The Greatest of All Time

Tony, Try to keep it simple. With your schedule may I humbly suggest: 1 long run per week 1 mid-week longish run...say 9 miles or so 1 faster than normal run up to one hour max, i.e. tempo run 1-2 easy runs Simple. Since you're limited you have to make each run count so you cannot afford junk miles.

Long runs are cool, but it's a steady diet of hilly 6-12 milers that will really do the trick.
                      Will this be my best bet as well? My only goal is to survive....I have wondered if I would even be able to get up to a 20 miler - I don't know that I want to push a run much longer than 3 hours. At this point, I'm thinking it best to not worry about my longest run and just get there in one piece Wink I can handle this run every 8-10 days and I have a side street I can add to it to bump it up to close to 14. I don't have access to runs that have multiple hills - even my regular route is pretty much straight up and down. Thanks for any advice. MTA: yeah, Drew is not the only idiot who is making this their first marathon.....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

The Greatest of All Time

MTA: yeah, Drew is not the only idiot who is making this their first marathon.....
                        As your attorney I advise you to have your affairs in order prior to 11/23/08. Wink

Why is it sideways?

... may I humbly suggest: 1 long run per week 1 mid-week longish run...say 9 miles or so 1 faster than normal run up to one hour max, i.e. tempo run 1-2 easy runs Simple. Since you're limited you have to make each run count so you cannot afford junk miles.
                          Marcus is wise. The reason I say not too get too caught up in the long runs is that those are single runs. Tony listed four runs between now and the Monkey like those four runs are going to prepare him. Four runs won't do crap for anybody. I'm picking on Tony now, but if he gets out the door 4-5 times every week between now and then, he'll get in around 50 runs between now and then. 50 runs is a training plan. 4 runs is nothing. I don't care how long and scary they are. You catch my drift?
                            As your attorney I advise you to have your affairs in order prior to 11/23/08. Wink
                            Is there a charge for this consultation Tongue

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

The Greatest of All Time

Is there a charge for this consultation Tongue
                              No charge. I need to pad my pro bono hours. Big grin

You catch my drift?
                                I browsed the lets run thread - this is what stood out to me "In fact, for most people the long run has become so sacrosanct that they get it in at the expense of every thing else, when they'd be much better off concentrating on the other six days of the week and making that 7th day more proportional to their overall mileage." I have finally accepted that it is in my best interest to keep my runs to no more than 4/week. My mid-range goal is to be comfortable with a 10 mile easy run. I think I'm on the right track with not worrying about whether or not I get to the 20 mile run or not before the Monkey, and focus more on building endurance - I'm trying to work in more regular biking to help out with that. I really liked the idea of having the "confidence" of having a 20 mile run in - but hey, if it doesn't happen - I have something else going for me....I have a very poor sense of perspective when it comes to distance.....I have a shot at crossing the finish line before I realize I have run that far Big grin

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group