Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Is this Monkey Training? (Read 617 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

so you mean all this sabotaging of my mileage all because I stress out over the long run may be for naught??

The Greatest of All Time

so you mean all this sabotaging of my mileage all because I stress out over the long run may be for naught??
      Shan, I think not. Here's why. In my experience helping first time marathoners I think it's important they do at least a 20-22 before a race. Your legs simply need to know what running that long feels like. Monkey throws a wrench in the chain but you still need a couple of good long runs in there, IMHO. Once you have done a couple of marathons you can probably get by going no longer than 18 or so before a race because you know what to expect when you're out on the course. There are two parts of a marathon. The first 20 and the last 6.2. All of the weird nasty stuff happens around 20 miles for us mortals and I think you need to have peered into that a little before the race so you know what to expect. If you show up to monkey with no real long run base it's going to be uglier than it needs to be and you might DNF. So take that as you will.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Marcus, when you quit your job and are unemployed, that means you are supposed to sleep late.

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, when you quit your job and are unemployed, that means you are supposed to sleep late.
          I wish I could T. I really do. Instead I did a tempo run at 5:30. I just can't sleep in, not even on the weekends.

There are two parts of a marathon. The first 20 and the last 6.2. All of the weird nasty stuff happens around 20 miles for us mortals and I think you need to have peered into that a little before the race so you know what to expect. If you show up to monkey with no real long run base it's going to be uglier than it needs to be and you might DNF. So take that as you will.
            100% true. You might be able to finish a marathon with long runs of only 12-15 miles, but the final 6.2 miles will be torturous. Mulitply this times two for the Monkey. Are you still training for this, Shannon?

I just looked at your log Shan. You really should be much further along than you are right now. Monkey is going to hurt BAD if you don't start running.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You people are jerks. It makes me happy.
                  You people are jerks..
                  Shan asked us to be. Though, admittedly, it would be more gratifying if we were jerks through our own initiative.

The Greatest of All Time

Shan asked us to be. Though, admittedly, it would be more gratifying if we were jerks through our own initiative.
                    Yeah for sure. I have to try really hard to be a jerk. But I am well schooled in being a jerk-off. Tongue

Oh Mighty Wing

I was really just joking with my statement. I can't discuss this right now without crying and since I'm at work it would be best if I don't do that.

Why is it sideways?

Shan and Chenille, You will both finish monkey and have a great time doing it. I will defer to Marcus and Tanya's advice on long running. Do the long runs so that you know what it's like. But don't forget the other 50 runs, too. And by the way, don't be thinking about the monkey every time you get out the door. If I looked at my training as a means to an end, then I woulda quit a long time ago. Try to enjoy the runs themselves. You're not running for the monkey; you're doing the monkey because you're a runner.

The Greatest of All Time

Try to enjoy the runs themselves. You're not running for the monkey; you're doing the monkey because you're a runner.
                          Amen.

Marcus - thanks again for the input...and dude, you've done an Ironman, so you don't have to "humbly" suggest anything - I'm glad to get your advice. You gotta know something about this stuff to have done an Ironman! Jeff - I see what you mean, and I guess I wasn't clear on my "plan". I was just trying to build a plan around the long runs since those are the toughest to get done because of time/schedule constraints. Good point about enjoying running...I think it was 3 miles into my 10 mile run last night that I enjoyed it a little Big grin I think it has to do with the lower humidity. Shan and Chenille - RE: Jeff's advice, "dont' think about the monkey every time you get out the door" ... very good advice. When I was training for my first marathon, 8 miles seemed overwhelming and when I thought about 26.2 I just had to tell myself that the 8 would make me stronger so I could do more the next week, and the next...and eventually be able to do the 26.2.

S&M Collector

I like Jeff's advice. That is a great comment. You're doing the monkey because you're a runner. Running shouldn't seem like a chore and you shouldn't feel like you're a slave to a schedule......even though it may feel that way sometimes. But also remember, that you You can't bluff your way through a marathon......or the training........no matter how good of a runner you are. If you miss a long run, it's not OK. Make it up. As was pointed out in this thread.........we all have got to get out the door and get more miles in....some more than others. It is Sept. 4 already. You can actually train for this thing. Eiither way, this is going to be one of the toughest days of running you will ever experience. Prepare for it a little bit, and you MIGHT feel like running again afterwards.
                              Come across any cool medals lately?

The Thunder

Crap...I DO need some more miles. Casa! You want to run today at 5:15ish...around where I work?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…