Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Is this Monkey Training? (Read 617 times)

That would be a great long run prep. Basically, I look at it like this: There are 11 weeks until the Monkey. That means, taking a 2 week taper into consideration, you have about 9 more long runs. For me, every other or every third week, depending, is a cutback week. So, there are roughly 5 long runs to build upon. If you're at 13 miles right now, you can build up to 20 soon enough to have 2-3 20+ milers before the Monkey. In my mind, 11 weeks isn't plenty of time, but it's enough time if you're already in double-digit long runs and running at least 30 miles a week. Or there's the option of not training. This is also quite effective at the Monkey.

The Greatest of All Time

Tony, tapers are way overrated. Just ask JK, Trent, Casa, MJ, etc. Big grin FWIW: Ahhh never mind.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran a long training run this past weekend. Apparently it had about 60% of the elevation change Monkey has.
          True, tapers are totally overrated, but the one thing I do cut way back on is the distance of the long run the weekend before the marathon. Obviously, some people can run 3 marathons in 72 hours, but since Tony was asking kind of general advice questions, I gave him a general answer. I hate severe plans as much as the next person. But I hate being under/overtrained when race day shows up even more.

The Thunder

I would say that's too much too soon. (Meaning 17 miles of the Hills in the park...not the 17 miles) Just my thoughts. The hills out there are going to beat you up. You need to do some hill work in prep, but you don't need to be doing all or most of your long runs at the park. You want to make sure that you make it to the start of the race feeling good and healthy...because you won't at the finish! I will most likely do the 11.2 + 5.8 at some point...but I won't be doing it in September. One thing I did on my long run the other weekend was do an easy 10 somewhere flat that leads into the park, and then I added on another 6 in the park on those hill. So I feel like I got the benifit of running some hills while being tired, but only had 6 miles worth of real pounding on my legs. I'm thinking that's the best of both worlds! So maybe you can do the radnor lake run (10ish) and then add on the 5.8 + luke lea or something for your long run on 9/13. I would think that's a better idea. But that's just me.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Why is it sideways?

Thunder, may I just say that you are full of pearls of wisdom.

The Thunder

Thunder, may I just say that you are full of pearls of wisdom.
                See, I never know if you're serious or not. But there is no smiley face...and obviously you haven't checked the mini swamp yet...or you may not call me so wise! But thanks.

Why is it sideways?

See, I never know if you're serious or not. But there is no smiley face...and obviously you haven't checked the mini swamp yet...or you may not call me so wise! But thanks.
                  It was good advice, but yeah I retract the comment after heading to the mini-swamp.
                    I would say that's too much too soon. (Meaning 17 miles of the Hills in the park...not the 17 miles) Just my thoughts. The hills out there are going to beat you up. You need to do some hill work in prep, but you don't need to be doing all or most of your long runs at the park. You want to make sure that you make it to the start of the race feeling good and healthy...because you won't at the finish! I will most likely do the 11.2 + 5.8 at some point...but I won't be doing it in September. One thing I did on my long run the other weekend was do an easy 10 somewhere flat that leads into the park, and then I added on another 6 in the park on those hill. So I feel like I got the benifit of running some hills while being tired, but only had 6 miles worth of real pounding on my legs. I'm thinking that's the best of both worlds! So maybe you can do the radnor lake run (10ish) and then add on the 5.8 + luke lea or something for your long run on 9/13. I would think that's a better idea. But that's just me.
                    I knew this is what the swamp mom would say. Although I don't consider your 10 miles before heading into the park "easy" there were some hills. But I only know that because Casa kept crying about them on our way there.

The Thunder

I knew this is what the swamp mom would say. Although I don't consider your 10 miles before heading into the park "easy" there were some hills. But I only know that because Casa kept crying about them on our way there.
                      Well you were running much harder then I was.

Well you were running much harder then I was.
                        Blah blah.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Blah blah.
                          Candice, congrats! Globule said you are 2 weeks pregnant!!

The Thunder

Candice, congrats! Globule said you are 2 weeks pregnant!!
                            Dude, that's not funny. My brother found out his Ex-wife was pregant about 2 weeks AFTER they decided to get divorced. Yes, it was his...and that's a lot to go through during a divorce!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm just reporting what Globbie said.

Why is it sideways?

Dude, that's not funny. My brother found out his Ex-wife was pregant about 2 weeks AFTER they decided to get divorced. Yes, it was his...and that's a lot to go through during a divorce!
                                Is this the same brother that you went to visit in Singapore?