Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Monkey Training (Read 729 times)

The Thunder

Well I finally got in a training run for this thing. 16 miles today, a nice easy 10 with a couple fellow monkeys, then another 6 in the park. Good times.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What was your route?

The Thunder

What was your route?
        It's a secret with me and the Monkeys.

a nice easy 10 with a couple fellow monkeys.
          I like how you call that easy.

S&M Collector

Thunder: A pleasure! Glad we got to finally share some miles. I know your normal solo pace is faster, so thank you! Hope the rest of your "secret route" run went well. As Candice said in another thread, you should have been there when it counted. DAMN! There were some internal/external battels after the 13 mile mark!
            Come across any cool medals lately?

S&M Collector

Trent, speaking of monkey training (which is obviously futile), I put on my Saturday best and ventured to the south side on Saturday. Anyway, driving back from Brentwood, I came upon an intersection that looked very familiar to me. I THINK it was the place that you, me, Silke, and Shelly began our run on that one weekend mornning. It was snowy and hilly and memorable. Pehaps HWY 31 and Moore's lane? Confused Do you have this course mapped out? I'd like to run it again sometime.......maybe somewhere between Tupelo/HOA and the K2K weekend.

The Thunder

I like how you call that easy.
                I like how after 10 miles of listening to me tell you that you should be running your long runs much easier (and you agreeing) you still ran your long run at your marathon pace. Well done Candice. Casa-that was my long run pace. I wasn't going any easier than I would have if I was running those 16 miles alone. That's all just a part of my plan. Hopefully if my plan goes well I'll be able to challenge your PR at Lousiville, and be ready to rip up the Monkey in November. Also, very nice running with you as well.

I like how after 10 miles of listening to me tell you that you should be running your long runs much easier (and you agreeing) you still ran your long run at your marathon pace. Well done Candice.
                  Well ... maybe that's not my marathon pace anymore?? Big grin Oh and...I told you i'd have to ask you again so that I could write it all down. About the speedwork, I mean.

The Thunder

Well ... maybe that's not my marathon pace anymore?? Big grin Oh and...I told you i'd have to ask you again so that I could write it all down. About the speedwork, I mean.
                    Do you have a race that you can base a realistic new MP on? Either way, if you were burnt at mile 13 of a long run that's supposed to be easy (obviously that depends on your training plan) then you were going too hard. Do you have a training plan for the monkey yet? If not, you should start to formulate one. Are you going to have ST or something coach you, or just going at it yourself?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

tell you that you should be running your long runs much easier
                      stand in line...
                        Do you have a race that you can base a realistic new MP on? Either way, if you were burnt at mile 13 of a long run that's supposed to be easy (obviously that depends on your training plan) then you were going too hard. Do you have a training plan for the monkey yet? If not, you should start to formulate one. Are you going to have ST or something coach you, or just going at it yourself?
                        No, I don't. But I assume I will after I do the Louisville half marathon. Unless I can use the Franklin Classic, which i'm not comfortable with doing. I wasn't burnt at mile 13. I wasn't burnt at all. The only reason I said I was "done" at the Mapco (which is mile 15 I think) is because my stomach was hurting really bad...you know, fear of Candicing and all that. My body was fine, as I kept telling Casa...i'm sure he remembers. "My body is fine, my stomach is killing me" Or maybe I was telling the other guy that. I don't really have a training plan for Monkey...i'm loosley following a Pfitz plan, taking out some of the running at first just until after Music City. ST isn't coaching me for Monkey...he doesn't even know i'm doing it. He's coaching me for Boston. And honestly, I don't care what I run at Monkey...so it really doesn't matter if I run my training runs too fast at this point. I'll train correctly for Boston.

S&M Collector

Trent, speaking of monkey training (which is obviously futile), I put on my Saturday best and ventured to the south side on Saturday. Anyway, driving back from Brentwood, I came upon an intersection that looked very familiar to me. I THINK it was the place that you, me, Silke, and Shelly began our run on that one weekend mornning. It was snowy and hilly and memorable. Pehaps HWY 31 and Moore's lane? Confused Do you have this course mapped out? I'd like to run it again sometime.......maybe somewhere between Tupelo/HOA and the K2K weekend.
                          Bump. Answer my damn question.
                            He has a map of it. Nevermind. He used to.

...so it really doesn't matter if I run my training runs too fast at this point. I'll train correctly for Boston.
                              Speaking as one of the growing crowd of people who have enjoyed stress fractures to one of the people who is worried about getting one...Suddenly doing a run that is substantially faster and longer than anything you've been doing is truly the most wondrous way to proud ownership of your very own stress fracture. At least it was for me. That's exactly how I got mine years ago. And it took me about 4-5 months to get back to where I'd been. So, just to say, it may actually matter a lot if you run your training runs too fast even 7 months before Boston.

Speaking as one of the growing crowd of people who have enjoyed stress fractures to one of the people who is worried about getting one...Suddenly doing a run that is substantially faster and longer than anything you've been doing is truly the most wondrous way to proud ownership of your very own stress fracture. At least it was for me. That's exactly how I got mine years ago. And it took me about 4-5 months to get back to where I'd been. So, just to say, it may actually matter a lot if you run your training runs too fast even 7 months before Boston.
                                I would read this after I posted in that other thread...huh? You have a point. MTA: But...I didn't get a stress fracture before St Louis/CMM, and that's exactly how I ran. You're saying the difference would be that I haven't trained like this in 3-4 months?