Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Time conversion (Read 606 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Yeah...this would be a big deal for me. I don't think I have ever....EVER raced w/out a watch. Like ever since High School XC. Not one race. EVER. But I'm thinking about it. It would be a big step for me. To run by feel.....hmmmmm
    wow that would be a big step!

Was it all a dream?

I'm actually thinking about leaving the watch at home for this one....could be interesting.
      Don't do it. The weight difference will completely throw off your stride. Wink Hmmm, adding somewhere between 5 and 30 minutes... you guys are starting to get me a bit worried about those hills...

Why is it sideways?

Yeah...this would be a big deal for me. I don't think I have ever....EVER raced w/out a watch. Like ever since High School XC. Not one race. EVER. But I'm thinking about it. It would be a big step for me. To run by feel.....hmmmmm
        Go for it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hmmm, adding somewhere between 5 and 30 minutes... you guys are starting to get me a bit worried about those hills...
          Your goal?

Why is it sideways?

Ben, I'd say that the hills are worth about 20s per mile; if you're in pace to run 6:00's, I'd start out with 6:30's and go from there.

Was it all a dream?

Your goal?
              I was hoping to go fast enough to keep MJ and Jscovill from disappearing over the next hill... Wink
              Ben, I'd say that the hills are worth about 20s per mile; if you're in pace to run 6:00's, I'd start out with 6:30's and go from there.
              Good advice. This will likely be my toughest marathon to date, so planning on being a bit conservative seems like a good idea. Definitely a "run by feel" race.

Why is it sideways?

Plus, one thing to note is because of the way the course is set up, the second half has more downhills than the first half. My first monkey (the one I ran well) I ran a huge negative split: 6:45's on the front half, 6:20's on the back half. If you can make it to the top of the hill at 19 feeling strong, you've got it in the bag.

Was it all a dream?

Plus, one thing to note is because of the way the course is set up, the second half has more downhills than the first half. My first monkey (the one I ran well) I ran a huge negative split: 6:45's on the front half, 6:20's on the back half. If you can make it to the top of the hill at 19 feeling strong, you've got it in the bag.
                  Good to know.

The Thunder

Go for it.
                    Easier said than done my friend. The watch...it's an addiction!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

If you can make it to the top of the hill at 19 feeling strong, you've got it in the bag.
                      That is more true in the Monkey than any other marathon I've ever run. Somehow, I always think of the course as being downhill (ha. hah ha. heh.) from that point to the finish. Obviously, it's not, but for some reason that's the sense I always have.

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, watch out for the hill by the golf course. It's steep. And then it goes on. And on. But by that point, if you've got a good one going, it'll hurt but you'll survive.