Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

About those hills.... (Read 705 times)

S&M Collector

No, that's how Casa does it. MTA: My first Casa joke since he's been back....chaaa!
    Dang. I just now saw this. and, first joke? What took you so long?
    Come across any cool medals lately?
      JK - So, yes I could go look up the elevation chart. And yes, I guess I could figure out the little wavy lines myself. But I'd rather have the completely biased opinion of one Gorilla Man. Hills on the PV marathon course - kinda sorta the same as those on the Monkey? Or total weaksauce in comparison?
      Dude, stop looking for new recipes using baby seal penis and get around to answering my question already.

Amy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Amy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Working on it for you.
          JakeKnight

JK - So, yes I could go look up the elevation chart. And yes, I guess I could figure out the little wavy lines myself. But I'd rather have the completely biased opinion of one Gorilla Man. Hills on the PV marathon course - kinda sorta the same as those on the Monkey? Or total weaksauce in comparison?
            Remember that hill at mile 2 and mile 24 of the PV marathon? That's the Monkey right there. That one's a lot like the 18-19 mile hill at monkey ... Actually, the hill in PV is harder, since its straight up and down; the Monkey is full of cutbacks and curves. But, of course, you're running UP it at mile 18. And there are 3-4 more similar hills. And the rest of PV was rolling. Yes, I know everyone said it was hilly. And it does have 2000 feet of elevation change. But the Monkey hills are steeper and more frequent and with the exception of a couple spots, there's nowhere flat. PV isn't weaksauce. That's a tough course. And that first hill is a monster. But it's still no Monkey.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Palos Verdes - Monkey - Total elevation for PV is about 2000 feet up/down. Monkey is about 3500.
                Very helpful. Thank you, JK. Smile (Just to be clear, I haven't run the PV marathon. I am, however, very familiar with the hills along the way.) MTA: Spelling.

Amy

Thanks, Trent!!!

Amy

JakeKnight

Very helpful. Thank you, JK. Smile (Just to be clear, I haven't run the PV marathon. I am, however, very familiar with the hills along the way.)
                    Well, you can sure see that monster hill at mile 2 and 24. It's evil. But ... it's in a great place for an evil hill. You start with an easy jog for a couple miles, then just have one big hill to deal with. (Which, by the way, you'd do on the half marathon course, too). You hit at the start when you're fresh ... and then at the end, just when you're dying, there's a nice steep downhill. It hurts the quads, but with a couple miles left, who cares? Conversely, at the Monkey, the prick race director put the worst hill at the almost exactly precise spot where you least want to find one. If you're going to bonk, according to his own oft-pasted mathematical formula, it may be right on that hill. But it's not even the hill that's the worst part - its getting to the top and realizing you still have 7 long miles to go ... The worst hill in PV is that one at 21 ... but its nowhere near as steep as it looks ... it just sorta climbs and climbs and climbs. But you always know you've got that downhill coming. The Monkey offers no such hope. The only thing after the next hill is more hills. The hill I hate most at the Monkey is that very last one on the graph. It's not that big. You're headed out of the woods, you know the finish line is right there ... you might even hear it ... but the prick director makes you cut right instead of head straight for it ... and then go up one last little hill. It's little, but its loathsome.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

The RD is evil.

Amy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ok so it's been awhile since I've done any "hill" work outs and I am NOW officially "scared" of the Monkey. These are nothing compared to some of the hills in Seattle, however they were the most local to me. Photobucket

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Rocken where was that. Here is VF: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6349481 Still sucks, but it's better than nothing right?? How can I show the picture instead of doing the link?

S&M Collector

Or is is this one?
                            Come across any cool medals lately?