Indianapolis Runners

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon (Read 572 times)

L2Run

RoadRunner

The 500 Festival announced today the 34th running of the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon sold out with 35,000 entries on December 14, 2009.

Who's in?  What is your bib#?  What is your expected finish time?  When do you start training for the Mini?  What do expect your weekly training miles to be?

This will be my second Mini.  I signed up a couple of days after I finished my first race.  My bib# is 2725.  I plan on finishing in 1:33:00 or less.  I will be maxing out my weekly training miles at 35 miles per week.

Ostrich runner

I'm out.  I might run the Anti Mini up in Zionsville--the Mini just has too many people for me.  Good luck with your goal--I don't think I would be able to get that fast off of 35 miles.  Maybe you should join in the Sam Costa don'tgetgeezered6packathon.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

L2Run

RoadRunner

I didn't know if I would get a response.  The forum went a little dead.  I am trying to get C-R back in here.

Funny, live in Zionsville.  Don't think I could run with the Geezers and the Mini.  I will need to increase those weekly miles and I don't have enough time to get that accomplished in 2010.  I will be ready to do both in 2011.   Good luck at Costa.  Are you racing C-R?  He talks about Costa and racing for beers

Ostrich runner

Yeah, C-R is going down at the Costa...if I ever get over these Tecumseh aches.

C-R

Yeah, C-R is going down at the Costa...if I ever get over these Tecumseh aches.

Hey Beef. How'd that work out? I never saw you at the race. Saw mrakers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

I haven't raced since Tecumseh.  It took getting sick for a few weeks this spring to finally get rid of the aches in my legs.  I'm doing the Run With the Foxes and Geist if you're going to be around.  I can't believe I haven't made any of the training runs--I've been doing quite a few weekend runs with a couple guys who are preparing for the Mohican 100, so I'm hoping I haven't lost too much speed.

C-R

Glad you're feeling better. We had a good 11.5 this morning to shake off some of yesterday.

I'll be at Geist. We can chat there.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Ostrich runner

Just don't go skipping the course for PRs, us young guys need a chance. 

C-R

Just don't go skipping the course for PRs, us young guys need a chance. 

On the fence about racing vs. running. Probably will race. I'm just that dumb but I need to shave some time off.

L2Run

RoadRunner

Since this is a forum for the Mini, here is C-R's time:

Division   Overall   DivPl         SexPl           5M        10M      Guntime  Time     Pace   
                        C-R                      M4044      327         31/1956   298/14441  33:25  1:06:10  1:25:49  1:25:41  6:33

Don't race Norm.  I think he sandbags. 

C-R

Since this is a forum for the Mini, here is C-R's time:

Division   Overall   DivPl         SexPl           5M        10M      Guntime  Time     Pace   
                          C-R                      M4044      327         31/1956   298/14441  33:25  1:06:10  1:25:49  1:25:41  6:33

Don't race Norm.  I think he sandbags. 

Oh sure. Listen to Mr. 1:28 talking.

Feeling the growl again

Just joined the group courtesy of beef's sig line.

I am not registered for the mini but may run if I can hit the elite qualifier in Feb/March and they let me in.  That should be sub-1:15 or a sub-33 10K, unless they've changed it in the last couple years.

The anti-mini is a nice, no-frills race.  You time and write your own finish down, they do have a big clock at the turn-around...which is the start/finish/turnaround for this 3-lap race.  If you run it do it for fun, even if dry it is NOT a speed course.  It is a short section on a rail trail, then down a multi-switchbacked boardwalk into the lowlands and fun but windy trails.  There will be two-way traffic on these narrow trails in parts on subsequent laps.  You have to navigate the switchback boardwalk (with two-way traffic potentially) on the way out of each lap.  So not fast. 

I won it last year, it was a lot of fun.  If I am not in the Mini I will do it again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

L2Run

RoadRunner

I am not registered for the mini but may run if I can hit the elite qualifier in Feb/March and they let me in.  That should be sub-1:15 or a sub-33 10K, unless they've changed it in the last couple years.

So where do they post the elite qualifying times?  Do you have to know the double secret handshake to see them?  Congrats on even being in the ballpark.

Feeling the growl again

So where do they post the elite qualifying times?  Do you have to know the double secret handshake to see them?  Congrats on even being in the ballpark.

Yes, you have to know the secret handshake.

When I moved to Indy in 2007, a google search still turned up the announcement that they no longer recruited an elite field and a document detailing the replacement program.  In subsequent years (and this year) I could never find the document again.  However, an email to the RD in 2008 when I still had a 1:14 within the prior year confirmed that they still honored the previously advertised qualifying times.  When my 1:09 was still current they even offered me half a hotel room (which I declined).

The last couple years I have not had a qualifier.  I am in shape today to hit it and have about 3 races this spring in which I may hit it so I will email the RD when I have one.

With a lot of these larger races that have some sort of elite field, it's often just a matter of contacting the RD to work something out.  I ran the Steamtown Marathon under a similar program (fine organization and RD).  The Shamrock VA Beach marathon RD was a great guy too, I approached him to bring in a whole group of guys trying to run sub-2:22 to qualify for the 2008 Olympic Trials.  I ended up overtrained and did not go but one of my friends followed through with the group and qualified.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

L2Run

RoadRunner

Ran the 500 Festival Training Series 5K last weekend.  Did it in 18:51.  My Garmin and the official time were the same and distance matched up as well... that's unusual.  According to McMillan's Calculator that would put me right at 1:27:00 for the Mini which is my targeted time.  Starting to bump up my miles.  How's everyone else doing with their training?