Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23290 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Its funny looking over your runs, as mine seem to be faster. I can run under MAF under 8 m/mile pace. DO you guys not keep to around MAF, I see the makority work well under your MAF

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

That's always nice when you start to dip into the next pace level. Hope and promise of flying. Warm out today, huh? Keep going! --Jimmy
      Yes it is nice. Although, I was at an avg of 11:40, but had to take a month off due to illness, etc. Anyway, yes, it's been warm the past couple of days. Yesterday was almost 70 in the Cincinnati area, today will be about the same.
      BeeRunB

Its funny looking over your runs, as mine seem to be faster. I can run under MAF under 8 m/mile pace. DO you guys not keep to around MAF, I see the makority work well under your MAF
        I only get to MAF in the last few miles of my "hard" runs (high mileage) or during MAF tests. Recovery days, I max at MAF-5. Once I get fit, my paces will be substantially faster. I looked at your PR's, and they seem to be in the same range as mine (our 5k is just 15 seconds apart), though I'm 20 years older, so I don't know if age has any play in explaining the difference in our MAF running. I've never run under 8:00 pace at MAF, yet. Haven't really given it long enough. Basically, during the aerobic or "patience" phase, I'll start my runs anywhere from MAF-10 to Maf-20 depending on the distance, then keep an even pace, letting HR max out as stated above. Once in awhile I'll do aerobic intervals aerobic hill repeats. Maxing out at MAF, and dropping to MAF -10 during rest. I don't know how to explain why your MAF running paces are so fast and close to your 5k-5m paces, just aprox. a minute over if you are running sub--8:00. Enjoy it! --Jimmy p.s. Now, we really don't like you, Mr. Sub--8:00.
        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Tuesday 08 January 2008 AD 06:18:15 AM CST live from future home of Bo Pelini 34f 81hum 29dew 8nw 28wc Just a sensible 5.3 miler at maf -3 average. Broke into elusive 12 and change pace bracket. Well, fiddy cent and a nickel kinda change, but nevertheless sub 13. First mile clocked in 11:41 from launch pad of 1/2 mile downhill. Satisfactory enough for this 58 y.o. of firm buttocks, which have never felt the sting of a HGH hypo, thank you. LG1 ......10/4..Roger and out
          ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
          Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
          ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
          BeeRunB

Tuesday 08 January 2008 AD 06:18:15 AM CST Satisfactory enough for this 58 y.o. of firm buttocks
            The only thing firm right now for this 46-year old is the silky tofu in the fridge.
              I looked at your log. You are 28, but your Low HR runs average more than 180-28=152. Plus I see you are maxing out in the high 160's low 170's. So that could be the reason why you are running so fast. I'm 35 so MAF=145. I haven't run a race since Thanksgiving (34:10 5-miler), but think I'm in better shape now. I am currently in Week 4 of an 18 week Daniels' plan for Boston. My last four runs were all Easy, thus @ MAF. Sat 1/5 - 7.02mi @ AHR=140, 8:45/mile Sun 1/6 - 19.97mi@AHR=144, 8:49/mile Mon 1/7 - 6.15mi@AHR=133, 8:57/mile Tue 1/8 - 7.02mi@AHR=136, 8:50/mile On most, if not all of my runs, I speed up as my run progresses (also my HR gets closes to MAF). The long run on Sunday really slowed me down the first couple of miles on Monday. However, it was a good long run each my mile averages MAF or lower. My first mile on Monday had an AHR of 119. I've never been that low HRwise for a mile. I guess when your legs are tight it slows you down. I did run a 20:37 5k last July, besides that 2007 was a wash out running wise for me. My PR's since I started running again in 2004 are 5k-20:13, 10k-41:28, HM-1:29:05, Mar-3:06:16.

Master of Inconsistency

10.35 miles today 1 hour out & back 2:00:08 11:37 pace AHR 132 (MAF-5) Max 139 for about a second. Ran even splits, but for some reason I felt like I was slower on the return trip,maybe just tired legs. It's either the great weather or I'm actually seeing improvement,We'll see next week when the cold comes back Temp = 57 degrees and sunny Smile Jimmy how's the RHR , mine is almost back to normal l RHR +2

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

BeeRunB

I looked at your log. You are 28, but your Low HR runs average more than 180-28=152. Plus I see you are maxing out in the high 160's low 170's. So that could be the reason why you are running so fast.
                  If DCV's statement is true, that might explain it, as you aren't really doing an MAF training aerobic phase, Eddy. You would be either doing some other form of training or be in the anaerobic phase (according to Maffetone's definition). If you keep an entire long run below MAF, you might see a dramatic slowdown. Or maybe you're just using magic! Love to see your act. --Jimmy
                    I only get to MAF in the last few miles of my "hard" runs (high mileage) or during MAF tests. Recovery days, I max at MAF-5. Once I get fit, my paces will be substantially faster. I looked at your PR's, and they seem to be in the same range as mine (our 5k is just 15 seconds apart), though I'm 20 years older, so I don't know if age has any play in explaining the difference in our MAF running. I've never run under 8:00 pace at MAF, yet. Haven't really given it long enough. Basically, during the aerobic or "patience" phase, I'll start my runs anywhere from MAF-10 to Maf-20 depending on the distance, then keep an even pace, letting HR max out as stated above. Once in awhile I'll do aerobic intervals aerobic hill repeats. Maxing out at MAF, and dropping to MAF -10 during rest. I don't know how to explain why your MAF running paces are so fast and close to your 5k-5m paces, just aprox. a minute over if you are running sub--8:00. Enjoy it! --Jimmy p.s. Now, we really don't like you, Mr. Sub--8:00.
                    Lower max HR would be my guess. Or definitely a lower AT. Or you have a really high AT....or a combination of both. Smile MAF isn't a good fit for everyone. Definitely most people, but not everyone. --------------- Woops...just read the other posts. I was assuming strict adherance! Big grin
                    BeeRunB

Pretty cool where you were, Greg, as it was 65 here today in Rhode Island. My RHR was 56 this morning, still 6-7 beats over, but feeling much better, the cold is on the way out. I still feel a bit "laggy", but seem to be on a regular sleep schedule now, though a brand new one. I use to sleep from 1:00 am to 7: am. I am now sleeping from 9:00 pm to 6:00 pm! At least it's regular. ran 5.3 miles today outside. 2 laps around the Les Pawson loop ( read about Les ) at Lincoln Woods. This is my hills course. Kept my HR at MAF on the hills (132-134). average HR 123 (MAF -11) highest ave HR per mile 132 (MAF-2) pace: 12:44 5 miles isn't a lot for me, but felt like a milestone today. --Jimmy
                      BeeRunB

Lower max HR would be my guess. Or definitely a lower AT. Or you have a really high AT....or a combination of both. Smile MAF isn't a good fit for everyone. Definitely most people, but not everyone. --------------- Woops...just read the other posts. I was assuming strict adherance! Big grin
                        How's lower leg doing, Doc? Back to normal?
                        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Pretty cool where you were, Greg, as it was 65 here today in Rhode Island. My RHR was 56 this morning, still 6-7 beats over, but feeling much better, the cold is on the way out. I still feel a bit "laggy", but seem to be on a regular sleep schedule now, though a brand new one. I use to sleep from 1:00 am to 7: am. I am now sleeping from 9:00 pm to 6:00 pm! At least it's regular. ran 5.3 miles today outside. 2 laps around the Les Pawson loop ( read about Les ) at Lincoln Woods. This is my hills course. Kept my HR at MAF on the hills (132-134). average HR 123 (MAF -11) highest ave HR per mile 132 (MAF-2) pace: 12:44 5 miles isn't a lot for me, but felt like a milestone today. --Jimmy
                          Jimmy, Just scoped out Les Pawson Loop on Treo/Google maps, satellite view. Way cool. Felt like I was right there. Wonder if they would let you borrow a greyhound from across the highway. Win/win situation; You get a pacer, they get their pup exercised. Course you'd wanna be at full strength for that adventure! For now it looks like I could almost 'cut n paste' your stats into my log. Take er easy for now. Mr Pawson was absolutely awesome! LG1 ....I thought our 30s was a heat wave ??
                          ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                          Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                          ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                            After a Thanksgiving to New Year break of only running 3x per week about 3-5 miles each, I stupidly decided to jump up to 26-30 I sit here tonight with a 102F temperature and aches/chills that make me wish for unconsciousness. I should mention to make matters worse, my son was sick wehn I kicked up mileage... Do I get the gold star for stupidity. Amazing how fast it came on, hopefully it leaves as fast.
                              First formal session in my MAF training today!!! Tongue By the way, I'm australian but will attempt to convert everything to miles/farenheit also Weather: 84F/29C Distance: 4.1 miles/6.6km Avg HR: 149bpm Max: 156 for a few seconds (MAF 154) Pace: 12:17p/mile or 7:41p/km (slow) That said I had very heavy sore legs, I played a game of netball two nights before I think I had some soreness from that. Let the MAF journey begin Smile

Just running for the fun of it!

northernman

Fight The Future

I am starting to think this type of running is not helping me as much as I'd hoped. I have been doing all my runs under MAF (HR 130, age 50, MAF pace probably close to 12:30 or so on the track) for the last three months. Now it seems that I am completely comfortable running at MAF. But the last few days I've started to try for a little speed again, and it seems much more difficult for me to run faster than before I started MAFing. Before, my training runs were all done around 9:30 to 10:00 pace, and I ran my first marathon in October at average pace 9:30. (I was somewhat taking it easy during the race, because it was my first.) Now, when I try to run 6 miles at 10:00 pace, it feels like I'm hitting a wall! well, OK, not really a wall, but it definitely feels much harder than I recall. I can't understand how you all can do all of your long runs so slowly and then just break out at a fast pace for a real race. Is it due to the many years of MAF running you've been doing? Is it that you are actually athletes in disguise? I do feel the need at this point to change things somehow, because I'm starting my 18-week program for the second marathon, and I would really like to break 4 hours. Maybe it's time to give up on the MAF until after the race.