Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

BeeRunB

Yeah, I think you've hit it on the head. Feels like lead. I have actually seen some progress, with somewhat faster paces at low heart rates. But not wildly so. I think I went from around 14 minutes per mile to about 12:30 per mile at constant MAF. Could be that I never really got enough weekly mileage to be particularly successful. OK, thanks for the encouragement , I won't give up. But I will start doing more and more of the tempo runs, gradually. I'll keep my easy runs MAF-easy.
    You made aerobic progress for sure. Success is measured in better race times. The key is to not lose touch with MAF training in between the workouts and races. The progress you make in both phases will feed on each other like Twitchy Pigs in Lipidland. I did my first anaerobic (in Maffetone's terms) workout today, and my legs were Ripvanwinkling bigtime. --Jimmy
    BeeRunB

I am currently in my base building phase. There are a couple of races I have my eye on in March. I will finish my base training hopefully by then and then get in some tempos in time, see how it goes. I am in no hurry. So do you guys recommend that I start again with a new MAF of 152? What i dont get is that if i have not been doing it correctly how do you justify the following graph that represents my low hr training at maf 157 since i began? It must be working and I must be at the right MAF surely?
      Eddy, It always comes down to honest self-assessment in all forms of training. No need to explain yourself to anyone here. Nothing wrong with MAF +5, it's part of the training suggestions, and if you feel it fits your current level, then who is to say...but you. Do what you gotta do, when you gotta do it. If what you are doing is producing results and you are staying healthy, stay the course. I can't read the graph, but according to your posts, you are doing really well, progressing nicely. Then don't fix what ain't broke. Unless you feel like it for whatever reason. People were just responding to your bostpost and misunderstanding what they were reading in your log. Me included. Now everything is crystal clear. I still think you are using real magic here with your sub-8:00 MAF runs and a 21:00 5k.You're not warping space in front of you and slipping through time are you? Keep going! --Jimmy

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy, It always comes down to honest self-assessment in all forms of training. No need to explain yourself to anyone here. Nothing wrong with MAF +5, it's part of the training suggestions, and if you feel it fits your current level, then who is to say...but you. Do what you gotta do, when you gotta do it. If what you are doing is producing results and you are staying healthy, stay the course. I can't read the graph, but according to your posts, you are doing really well, progressing nicely. Then don't fix what ain't broke. Unless you feel like it for whatever reason. People were just responding to your bostpost and misunderstanding what they were reading in your log. Me included. Now everything is crystal clear. I still think you are using real magic here with your sub-8:00 MAF runs and a 21:00 5k.You're not warping space in front of you and slipping through time are you? Keep going! --Jimmy
        Remember my 5k PR was some 4 months ago, so that is relatively a long time in training terms. Thanks for the comments, I will stick to my guns as like you say, it is working, and I wanna get even quicker at MAF Just for info m fastest mile up to now whilst at MAF is 7:25

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Remember my 5k PR was some 4 months ago, so that is relatively a long time in training terms. Thanks for the comments, I will stick to my guns as like you say, it is working, and I wanna get even quicker at MAF Just for info m fastest mile up to now whilst at MAF is 7:25
          While it's never apples to apples (my MAF is 144...max HR about 206), my "MAF" is probably about an 8:15 pace or so. My 5K time from last summer is 19:52. I think that's around 6:25 pace. If you were to race a 5K now...21:00 would be silly easy for you. If you can run 8:00 miles at such an easy effort, then cranking down some 6:20's should be doable, if not much faster than that. Smile Great progress so far without a doubt.

Master of Inconsistency

Todays run 6.2 miles , AHR 130 (MAF-7) MAX 137 pace 11:03 Shocked I actually felt like I was running today instead of just shuffling along My legs are even a little achy ! Starting to believe this might work for me. 52F and sunny sure helps! Russ hope you recover soon, Jimmy, glad to hear your back in shape too New gen keep kicking treadmill ass & LG1 ,Tea with whiskey ,honey & lemon usually does the trick for a cold coming on. Happy with MAF..........for now, Greg Edit: sorry for the jinx LG but that was newgen who thought he might be coming down with something. the advice still applies Big grin

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Shiksa

3.5 for me today Avg 142/max 152 14:07/mile I decided to adjust my MAF by -5. My dream of being the fastest slow person is going to have to wait. I think the physical and mental shift will help me concentrate on staying low. I only had 4 spikes this session vs. 8-9 in prior sessions. The highest was only 152 vs. 158 too. Mile 1 12:32 138/148 Mile 2 13:33 142/150 Mile 3 14:36 144/152 1/2 mile 7:38 (15:18) 144/148

Stacy
              I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

BeeRunB

5 recovery miles today. RHR is normal, but I think I'm still a bit off jetlag-wise, as my paces are deteriorating quickly during the run. Feel dehydrated and can't seem to catch up. Can't seem to get the ol' pee to a clear state. It's the yellow of an infinite school bus in a field of sunflowers. Does jet lag mess with your electrolytes? I had an intuitive thought that they were off in the middle of one of my yellow geysers. I'll have to consult Google on this, and maybe a medical forum if there is one. My singing voice has recovered and I'm currently back to learning the Perry Como catalogue (screw Bing and his pseudo-Como ways). --Jimmy
                  5 recovery miles today. RHR is normal, but I think I'm still a bit off jetlag-wise, as my paces are deteriorating quickly during the run. Feel dehydrated and can't seem to catch up. Can't seem to get the ol' pee to a clear state. It's the yellow of an infinite school bus in a field of sunflowers. Does jet lag mess with your electrolytes? I had an intuitive thought that they were off in the middle of one of my yellow geysers. I'll have to consult Google on this, and maybe a medical forum if there is one. My singing voice has recovered and I'm currently back to learning the Perry Como catalogue (screw Bing and his pseudo-Como ways). --Jimmy
                  I had been feeling dehyrated as well for a couple of weeks. I'm not familiar with the climate in your neck of the woods, but if you're indoors a lot in a cold climate, dry air will takes it's toll....particularly if you have forced air heat (as opposed to hot water heat) in your home. About a week ago, I started drinking large amounts of gatorade (32 oz.) after each workout and in the evening. Water alone wasn't sufficient. This seems to have worked for now.
                  BeeRunB

I had been feeling dehyrated as well for a couple of weeks. I'm not familiar with the climate in your neck of the woods, but if you're indoors a lot in a cold climate, dry air will takes it's toll....particularly if you have forced air heat (as opposed to hot water heat) in your home. About a week ago, I started drinking huge large amounts of gatorade (32 oz.) after each workout and in the evening. Water alone wasn't sufficient. This seems to have worked for now.
                    You know, I think you have a point about the forced air. We just moved into this place about 6 months ago, and just started using the forced air gas-heat (use to have oil/water heat). It does leave you dry in the morning. And since the flight, I feel like I've been through the desert all-night. Maybe that has slowed my body being able to catch up since that grueling flight. Thanks for making that point. I'll grab some electrolyte replacement in the am and get started on that. Run with it for awhile as well. --Jimmy

run-easy-race-hard

Had one of those annual reminders of how much difference the temperature makes. Yesterday, 13.35 miles, 9:16/mile pace with fast finish (up to HR of 160), average heart rate 145. Temperature: 62 http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4745207 This morning, following a one mile swim, 10 miles (same course as the yesterday), 8:52/mile pace (not fast finish), average HR 141. Temperature: 30 http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4750931 Pretty significant difference!
                      lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

I'm 1,883,375 heartbeats from the presidency.. 1159 miles home to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC 1159 times 13 min/mile = 15067 minutes 15067 minutes times 125 bpm (maf) = 1,883,375 Your mileage from the oval office and fitness level will yield varying results. Tomorrow I'll attempt a manageable 9750 beater (6 miles) LG1 ...remember, every single beat counts
                        ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                        Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                        ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                        BeeRunB

Jesse, that's why I always pray for cool marathons for my running brethren, myself, and the elites as well. Makes a difference. BTW, your Avatar is wicked action packed. Dynamic. Impacts the eye. --Jimmy
                          BeeRunB

I'm 1,883,375 heartbeats from the presidency.. 1159 miles home to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC 1159 times 13 min/mile = 15067 minutes 15067 minutes times 125 bpm (maf) = 1,883,375 Your mileage from the oval office and fitness level will yield varying results. Tomorrow I'll attempt a manageable 9750 beater (6 miles) LG1 ...remember, every single beat counts
                            Dude, you have to get off Google Maps. Your life is getting unmanageable.
                              This week Tuesday was my first run after Christmas. I do wonder who put lead into my legs. Oh, I ran Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (4.5M, 4.5M and 3.5M, respectively) and I was suffering during my runs from stiff and heavy legs and overall feel of lack of energy. RHR were 57, 56 and 54, when my before Christmas RHR was between 40-45. I really struggled to get even to my MAF (147). Nah, I decided to start MAF training, so it is not that bad, but still it is always the same after long holidays or travelling. First few weeks are really struggling. Still, I just wonder if I lost more of my fitness now then before. Maybe age is starting to show it's effect, don't know. But, even with poor start of the year, I'm really looking forward to see what kind of effect MAF training will have on me. Long miles for year 2008 for everybody!
                              newgeneration

Greetings from treadmill land. Dropped in an easy 10 tonight because I could (and I couldn't this morning...). Avg pace was 10:59, and avg HR 134. I have seen, over the past two runs more of a creeping up of heart rate. Oh well, I will just keep at it and see how it goes. I am trying to drink more water during the day and during runs. 'night all.