Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23290 times)

5 Miles today after 10 yesterday. Todays run: 5 miles Time: 45:01 Pace: 9:00 HR AVE: 132 Max: 137 I am relatively new to MAF running. Fairly new to running altogether. Is it common that my fastest runs seem to come on the day following long runs?
      No run for me today. *sigh* My lower calf/achilles acted up in the last half mile of a 10 mile easy run yesterday. Completely out of the blue. Now, I did use a brand new pair of shoes, but it's the same model I rotate 4 pairs of shoes with, and have logged 2500 miles on. I'm hoping that caused it. I was just getting ready to hit the next 5 to 6 weeks aggressively before my taper, too. Bleh. I'm taking tomorrow off as well, and will hopefully resume an easy week this week on Tuesday. This is the most concerning injury/pain I've had in 17 months of running. I don't like it. Angry Keep the HR in check everyone! Smile
        12/22/07: 8.08 miles / 1:18:32 / 9:44 / 152 AHR 12/23/07: 5.64 miles / 51:27 / 9:08 / 150 AHR Shins are a little sore after this weekend so tomorrow will be off. We'll see about Christmas day. I hope to break 30 miles for the first time next week.

sean

run-easy-race-hard

I'm in rebuilding mode since my last marathon on 11/24. I did very little running for the few weeks afterwards and I've just gotten back up to 70 mpw this week, with my first 20 since the marathon today. ~10:30 minute/mi avg pace @ 135 avg HR. MAF is about 147-150 or more for me. Just hoping to regain my conditioning before Rocky Raccoon 100 miler at the beginning of Feb. Here's my run: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4634042
          labhiker

12/23/07 - 10.8 miles (mixed hills), 12mm, 127 bpm AVE, 138 MAX (8min total above MAF target) MAF = 134 (180-age). Down week (28.7 miles), previous 2 weeks 38 - 42 mpw run felt good. Wx warmer than past few days, 46F vs mid 20Fs. Tried JimmyBs advise and threw in a few brief aerobic intervals on short downhills hoping to improve training pace. Pace seems to have slowed by about 30 seconds during the past few weeks? Im hoping a few aerobic intervals may help jump start MAF performance?

labhiker

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

No run for me today. *sigh* My lower calf/achilles acted up in the last half mile of a 10 mile easy run yesterday. Completely out of the blue. Now, I did use a brand new pair of shoes, but it's the same model I rotate 4 pairs of shoes with, and have logged 2500 miles on. I'm hoping that caused it. I was just getting ready to hit the next 5 to 6 weeks aggressively before my taper, too. Bleh. I'm taking tomorrow off as well, and will hopefully resume an easy week this week on Tuesday. This is the most concerning injury/pain I've had in 17 months of running. I don't like it. Angry Keep the HR in check everyone! Smile
              Docster, Hopefully you didn't inflict any lasting injury. I just today went on a 10 miler with a new pair after maxing out the previous ones. I had been rotating 2 pair and trying to have the first at 50% and then alternating with the new pair, thereby never going consecutive runs on high mileage ones. Your post reminded me to go back to the rotation method. I'm probably lucky I didn't cause a similar problem. Going from extremely worn to brand new must put different stresses on sensitive areas. I think we're all aware of the "nothing new" on race day advice, but i'm realizing that it can apply somewhat to training as well. I wish you a speedy recovery. LG1 rollin.....implementing Dr. Ruth rhythm method
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
              BeeRunB

Hey Magill, who calls himself Lil, but everyone knows you as Jesse, I have a feeling your conditioning will be just fine for that ultra. 10:30 pace for 20m at MAF-13 isn't far off the mark. What's with this my MAF is "147-150" or "more." Does it get higher if you get excited? What's up? Docster, I've had new pair of shoes bring on very temporary weird stuff when I haven't taken time to break them in with a few 5 milers, and have gone out for a 10 or more. If there is any added stress from the holidays for you, or from something. That can do it as well. You'll heal, and be back to it. Just chill, Galloway your way back if you have to. Remember, long walks can help maintain. You might try this very, very slowly and gently. This one has helped me a lot with lower leg, front back, heel, and plantar. Very slow, very gentle. Do not overstretch, very, very gentle: lower leg and foot RX Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! And if that offends anyone....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! I wish you all the very best in life. I'll be off-line for a few days. See ya text soon. Keep going? Keep going! --Jimmy
                BeeRunB

P.S. Did 2 miles today. My HR has been 56 (normally 49) the past few days. All week I've felt a bit off, like my body is fighting something, yet no cold or flu symptoms, no pain, nothing. Just a body depression (I'm thinking it's mourning my Mom's 2-year death anniversary). Anyway, I find the most important thing Maffetone has helped me to do is to back off when the body doesn't feel right. I had 60+ scheduled with a 20, did 39 this week with 8 being the longest.

run-easy-race-hard

Hey Magill, who calls himself Lil, but everyone knows you as Jesse, I have a feeling your conditioning will be just fine for that ultra. 10:30 pace for 20m at MAF-13 isn't far off the mark. What's with this my MAF is "147-150" or "more." Does it get higher if you get excited? What's up? --Jimmy
                    Well, just keep in mind that MAF is not really something that comes from a formula; it's a physiological turning point. It happens that Maffetone's formula works very well for people with minimal to fair aerobic development. However, I do believe that after over 2 years of running almost everything other than races below MAF, I've continued to push my MAF heart rate higher, as suggested by Mittleman and I think I have a low RQ at over 10 beats above 180-age. This is evident from the fact that I can run a marathon (or more) at 30 beats over 180-age without any carb intake at all and minimal slow-down. Of course, without another vo2max test, it's just an estimate. Ultimately for me it doesn't really matter because I run most everything even under the most conservative MAF estimate and I've learned what it takes to get pace improvements without doing speed work.
                      Docster, Hopefully you didn't inflict any lasting injury. I just today went on a 10 miler with a new pair after maxing out the previous ones. I had been rotating 2 pair and trying to have the first at 50% and then alternating with the new pair, thereby never going consecutive runs on high mileage ones. Your post reminded me to go back to the rotation method. I'm probably lucky I didn't cause a similar problem. Going from extremely worn to brand new must put different stresses on sensitive areas. I think we're all aware of the "nothing new" on race day advice, but i'm realizing that it can apply somewhat to training as well. I wish you a speedy recovery. LG1 rollin.....implementing Dr. Ruth rhythm method
                      Thanks LG! It feels a bit better today. Tomorrow maybe I'll start out walking on the treadmill (good advice as always Jimmy....an extra day off is better than a one week set back) and see how things go. That way I can shut it down if necessary when I'm not 2 miles from home. Merry Xmas everyone. (or your equivalent Smile) everyone!
                      lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Christmas eve, 2007 04:40:07 CST 12 degrees farenheit 72 percent humidity 5 degrees dew point wind calm FULL MOON Shocked Fool moon mesmerizes from western sky; Venus hunkers on eastern horizon, wary of Legendary Luminescence. Celestial spy reports to Dick Tracy wrist unit thusly: 6.9 pedestrian miles in 01:38:19 yielding 14:15 m/m at 113 bbm A brisk and refreshful 'recovery' walk, with sugar plums dancing in head, mini candy cane earning stripes, brrr Hear,here to "Merry Christmas!!", Jimmy, and may I extend like salutation to all!! LG1, .....shivering pair of sugar plums tango less than adolescents at first sock hop, (old school)..brrr
                        ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                        Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                        ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                          Snow removal: Snow depth: 6 inches, drifts as high as 9 inches Total time: 1:12:14 (55 minutes with snow blower, 17 minutes with shovel) Avg HR: 106 Max HR: 123 Three weeks ago, during 55 minutes of snow removal, my avg was 113, and max was 140.
                            Good news and bad news. My goal for the end of 2007 was to be able to run a 14-mile run without getting injured. If I was successful, I would commit to training for my first marathon. The good news is that I completed the 14-miler on a fairly tough course on Saturday. The bad news is that I ended up with an average HR 3 beats over my MAF. I had a dilemma as I could not keep my HR under MAF after completing a hill climb, but I did not want to walk as I did not think that would count as meeting my 14-mile run goal. Saturday: 14.1 miles Big grin, mostly on the Flying Pig course, 12:00 pace, 149 AHR No Sunday recovery run on the treadmill: 3 miles, 10:54 pace, 131 AHR.
                            newgeneration

I ran for 80 minutes today, avg HR=135. I popped up to 140 a few times, but was under 137 for the most part. I ran at 6:30 A. An almost full or full moon lit the first part of the run. I ran at my high school again, but upgraded from the parking lot. There was a fog yesterday, and today I saw that recently all the athletic fields are now astroturf. There were several connected fields that I was able to run around. A MAF'er's paradise...soft and flat.
                              newgeneration

Hi Lowgear and Docster, I had an interesting series of pains that fortunately did not become serious when I switched shoes. I had a been running in Gel Landreths, but switched to Cumulus' about 9 months ago. The Cumulus' felt so good, even out of the box, but I had pains in various parts of my feet and ankles. I backed off on a few runs when it hurt consistently, but eventually the pains went away. I attributed this to the lack of structure to the Cumulus (even though there is not much in the Landreth, either). Anyway, hope everyone emerges unscathed.