Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23290 times)

kopid905

Friday run  128 /138

7.5 +.6 mile CD. 1st half of run felt great. HR low and 11:30 pace. Did a turnaround. Discovered it was uphill going back Shocked. Gradual  declines are deceiving.

I know that feeling.  I did a run the other day and was about a minute faster than my normal MAF pace, turned around and realized I had been going downhill and with the wind.

With you being a bigger runner much like myself (200 pounder) I'm going to shave an experience I had about this time last year. I too was pretty excited about putting together a nice little running streak while training for a goal HM I had planned in April, again much like you. My training was going geat, HR was controllable and even going down at the same effort \ paces. I was getting faster, fitter and was primed to shatter my HM pr and every pr under that distance.

I started to feel a little twinge or two in my right tibia that I just attributed to the pain and stiffness that goes along with the increase in duration, mileage and intensity of the meat of a training program. It got to the point that it would hurt, throb for several hours after a workout and even hurt when walking so I called a freind who is a PT and asked a few questions. Best case senario was MTSS, Medial Tibial Stress Syndrom which is pretty much the precurser for a stress fracture and worst case was an actual stress fracture. Now that I had an idea of what I was dealing with and what I needed to do to recovery, I didn't bother with going to a doctor for stress fracture testing as the recovery process is what I was going to do anyway.

I ended up having to stop running for 4-6 weeks and lost a lot of fitness in the process. I tried to supplement the lost run time with an elliptical workout but that didn't really help. I biked a lot and swam but that doesn't replace running. I had to pull out of my goal HM and honestly most of my summer triathlon training and racing was greatly affected by my down time to heal.

Moral of my story is that I became a slave to a streak during a time of never before experienced duration and intensity although I had done that sort of mielage before. Part of the scheduled REST time is to let your skeletal system recovery from the acculation of stresses you're putting on it. Bones need to rob calcium from other bones in order to rebuild themselves and that rebuilding process involves rest. Although you may feel good and think that running a couple active recovery miles on your scheduled day off will only help you and not hurt you, you may be setting yourself up for an injury you never thought about.

MTA: I'm not saying something like this is going to happen to you, but as a larger runner, we need to think about things like this more so then a 130 pound runner as we are putting much more stress on our bodies then they are.

Feel like I've made a mini breakthrough on my running this week.  Not sure if it is due to getting my HR up on a 2 mile race last Saturday or if I'm just adjusting to my new training volume or just having a good week.  Nice weather hasn't hurt anything either.

7.2 miles, 10:06 avg pace, 135 avg HR.  Not much creep at all either.

My daily running streak just crossed 300 miles today too.  44 days and 306.1 miles.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Chasing the bus

And last night was SOOO much easier...6 miles, 11:45, avg. HR 122, it felt really good, except I could feel my right calf trying to cramp a few times...I'm not sure what's going on there. I think I need to spend more time stretching/rolling/and do a little strength training there (toe raises).

It's funny how non-linear my HR/pace is...at 122-125 I can go all day at 11:45mm, any faster and the HR starts climbing and I end up back at 11:45 or even 12mm, at a higher HR!

Shooting for another 6 tonight before my rest day Sunday.

Good luck, Damaris, go get 'em!

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Goal 15-18 miles. Back to car at mile 3. In need of water and food. Sit in car and realize I am exhausted(8 miler yesterday) and starving. Drove 22 miles to the horse park. There is noway I can stop at 3 miles. Drive 6 miles to get peanut butter cookies. Drive back. Eat 3 packs of cookies. 37F and 35 mph wind gust. Reset the watch.OK, I need to make it at least a 6 mile day. I make it to 4.5 mile and decide I can keep going .Mile 8 two hours without water. Mile 10 I see the parking lot across the street. I really need some water but this is need the trail I came in on. Stay on the trail and get back to the car after .5 mile. 13.5 mile done. Get in the car for water,cookies and warmth. OK, there is noway real runners stop  at this point. I only need 1.5 miles. Out the car. Gust of  cold wind hits me. Do I real need to do this. It is only 1.5 mile. I start to run. To cold to walk. 14 mile mark  the voice in my head says" real runners would do the 4.5 miles to reach 18. Why I am I listening?I finally reach mile 17. No small feat. I start walking the cool down on and open field. The wind  blowing hard now. Luckily the wind  is at my back. I see the car.  but I still need 0.75 miles. The last quarter mile is straight into the wind. I make it Thanks to all my virtual  running partners. Little Rock marathon March 3. #38.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I'll do a re(?)introduction sometime soon, but, I read your account, runnerclay, and I just want to say this:  What you did might be crazy, but it's the right kind of crazy if you want to run fast and reach your goals.  Days like that are what separates you from the feint of heart.  Excelsior to you!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

4.25mile walk HR 96 / 110

John-- Reach goals,yes. Fast is in the past.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I know that feeling.  I did a run the other day and was about a minute faster than my normal MAF pace, turned around and realized I had been going downhill and with the wind.

Big grin

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

natalie412

Stared LHR running on Jan 30th, and definitely seeing improvement.  From my first run to my last I went from 11:33 avg pace at 138 avg HR to 10:24 at a 136 avg HR.  Those are for ab a 6.5 mile loop that I do several times a week.  Most of that improvement was between the first and second run though, so I don't expect to keep improving that fast!  My first long run (11) at 138 or under was great.  Saturday I ran 12.3, but gave up trying to keep my HR below 138 after mile 4, because I have a head cold and it was stressing me out!  Ended up with a 144 avg HR and 10:49 per mile for that run, but it did feel great and felt strong at the end.  Now if I could just figure out how to prevent the crash I always have about an hour after long runs.  Takes me a few hours to get over it.  My stomach is usually sensitive, but it was a little better this time.  Protein shake and plenty of water right afterwards, and then keep snacking.  It used to happen after 10 milers, but not anymore, so I think I just have to get used to the longer distances.

Chasing the bus

Six treadmill miles, 11:42, avg HR 123. I cranked the cadence up to 170 steps/min and worked on my form, felt like I had kicked it into overdrive...HR dropped, speed went up, and I ran for quite awhile at 11:00 with HR hanging at 125, running easy. I've run at that cadence before, but never felt that "shift". Unfortunately, it didn't last, as my calf tried cramping around mi. 4, and I had to alter form/pace to continue. I was able to work back up for the last mile, and over all it was a good run, and a good way to finish my week, at 24 miles.

Planning for 25 next week, with the last 3 at the Frostbite 5k, Anchorage Fur Rondy. Still can't decide if i want to run it LHR or see if I can break 27 min...

Have a great weekend, see you all monday!

John

Wandering Wally

Weekend update:

Friday - Rested.  Did chores around the house.

Saturday - 144 minutes at MAF.  I ran this one in the early evening.  When I left the temp was about 20F.  By the time I got home it was 2F.  Had I known the temp would drop that fast, I would have chosen different gloves on my way out the door.  C'est la vie.  Enjoyed a beautiful sunset though.

Sunday - 62 minutes at MAF.  Noticed that I am able to run longer stretches at my MAF goal of 130 bpm without walking.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I was super busy this week and weekend, and had some issues with my cat getting an eye injury and my dad being shot at back home, so I was not able to check in here until now.  My dad and my kitty are fine, thankfully.

I ran the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon yesterday and it was cold and windy in South Florida (finally).  The 23mph headwind was brutal and I was freezing but I was able to perform well.

I ran by HR with the first 5 miles as close to 145-150HR, 10 miles @ 155, and then the rest at above 160.  Average HR was 157 which is smack on my HR for marathon pace and I PRd by 3 minutes.  Very happy.

Today is a rest day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

npaden

With you being a bigger runner much like myself (200 pounder) I'm going to shave an experience I had about this time last year. 

Moral of my story is that I became a slave to a streak during a time of never before experienced duration and intensity although I had done that sort of mielage before. Part of the scheduled REST time is to let your skeletal system recovery from the acculation of stresses you're putting on it. Bones need to rob calcium from other bones in order to rebuild themselves and that rebuilding process involves rest. Although you may feel good and think that running a couple active recovery miles on your scheduled day off will only help you and not hurt you, you may be setting yourself up for an injury you never thought about.

MTA: I'm not saying something like this is going to happen to you, but as a larger runner, we need to think about things like this more so then a 130 pound runner as we are putting much more stress on our bodies then they are.

Thanks for the input.  I'm trying to listen to my body and not be a slave to my streak.  I may end up having to schedule a rest day eventually and make myself take it.  I keep thinking something will come up with life that will make me miss a day but it hasn't happened yet.  This week is a cut back week on my plan so I don't think I'll end it this week, but I'm thinking of ending it next week with my first scheduled 16 miler on the agenda.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hi, guys.  I was super busy this week and weekend, and had some issues with my cat getting an eye injury and my dad being shot at back home, so I was not able to check in here until now.  My dad and my kitty are fine, thankfully.

I ran the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon yesterday and it was cold and windy in South Florida (finally).  The 23mph headwind was brutal and I was freezing but I was able to perform well.

I ran by HR with the first 5 miles as close to 145-150HR, 10 miles @ 155, and then the rest at above 160.  Average HR was 157 which is smack on my HR for marathon pace and I PRd by 3 minutes.  Very happy.

Today is a rest day.

Congrats. PR very impressive.

PS: You failed to mention you  probably had a negative split. 2:16:17 at 13 miles. 4:34:09 finish. Kick butt impressive!!

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Today is a rest day.

Glad to hear your Dad and cat are doing alright. Yikes!

Congrats on your PR! AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Fine run.

Keep going!

--JimmyCool

p.s. ME: 7 miles today--walk

Chasing the bus

Like i said, Damaris, well done!

last nights run; a Galloway/Maffetone hybrid (see my other post); 6 treadmill miles, 11:10mm, avg. HR 121, max 134.