Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23290 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

10 miles Saturday HR 115/ 130

6 miles Sunday HR 105 /124  Ran  2.5 miles walked  3.5

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.

I did 15 yesterday at 142 (11:32mm) and was surprised at the low HR.  Today, I tackled the very technical advanced trail at the Oleta State Park and did 5.30 miles at 142 as well.  There was a very technical section that made my HR go up to 157 but I got it down very fast.  The asthma attack was coming but I stopped it.

Still, for the first full week of close to 90F and high humidity (compared to 80F and high humidity, LOL), I think I caught myself early enough so as to keep the HR low.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3.5 mile walk .No HRM.

Nice going D-R

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

Don't you feel naked without it, clay?

My week has been going OK.  All my runs below Maff.  I did 5, 7 with strides, and 5 this week.  Rest day today.

I've had intermittent internet all week.  Ugh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

npaden

Still struggling to get all the way down to my MAF of 136.

Really nice easy run yesterday though, beautiful evening, 67 degrees, 14% humidity and light breeze 8 mph out of the NNE.

8.11 miles, 9:46 avg pace, 139 avg HR.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like nice weather too, npaden.

I did 6 with 8 X 100m strides this morning with super humidity (I hate Miami!).  Maintained 140-143 throughout the recovery portions and the strides went well.  This week has been a nice Maf week for me.  5K tomorrow but it will be super hot and humid.  Hoping to run at 175HR and hang on for dear life.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Good luck with the 5K tomorrow, Damaris.  It sounds painfully fun Big grin

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

Docket_Rocket

There you go, I fixed your post. Joking

Good luck with the 5K tomorrow, Damaris.  It sounds painfully not fun Big grin

Damaris

Fundraising Page

13.2 miles at 142 HR and 9:15 pace this morning.  I can now say I have run the distance once (and only once!) before my first HM Cool

Eric

Docket_Rocket

One of my slowest 5Ks in months but still an improvement from last year's bout with asthma.  First 5K without albuterol, so I"m pretty happy.  Ran it at 172HR and ended up with 27:22 in 84F and 74 dewpoint so weather was not ideal.  Very happy even though I'm not speedy lately.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

One of my slowest 5Ks in months but still an improvement from last year's bout with asthma.  First 5K without albuterol, so I"m pretty happy.  Ran it at 172HR and ended up with 27:22 in 84F and 74 dewpoint so weather was not ideal.  Very happy even though I'm not speedy lately.

Congrats. Hopefully not to painful.

9.7 miles

7K race HR 132/ 167 48:57 unofficial. 4.75 mile warmup.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

Great job, clay.

Well, it was and it wasn't.  Last mile I was coughing and had chest congestion from the asthma so I felt like I was drowning but kept pushing to end before it ended me!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Great job Damaris!  Sounds like steamy conditions.  Were you just trying a test without albuterol or trying to manage it other ways?  I take a couple of hits of albuterol before every run.  Probably not necessary except on race day.  I was diagnosed with "exercise-induced" asthma as a kid, then I didn't do much exercise again until I was 37  Big grin   If I don't use the albuterol before a hard effort, I will be coughing and wheezing for a day or two afterwards.  Honestly, I haven't looked into other ways to control it, but I'm sure there's a better way.  I'm not a big fan of taking meds unless I have to.

Eric

Docket_Rocket

A test.  I knew a PR would be difficult with marathons every month and illness two weeks ago.  Last time I tried racing a 5K without albuterol was December and I failed.  I've been running marathons without albuterol so I knew I felt stronger.  But yes, it was muggy and sunny, and blah.

I used to need albuterol before every run and every 2 hours during the race.  I actually had to use 6 pumps of albuterol during the Berlin Marathon last September.  Now I have run two marathons faster than Berlin without albuterol.  So yay!

One thing that has worked for me has been: allergy shots for my lethal allergy to dustmites (oh, joy), being a vegetarian or 99% vegetarian (for some reason, there is some connection with stomach and asthma issues), and MAF.  I have started to add fish and meat to my diet without big issues but I've noticed that the week before a marathon the more vegetarian I eat the less asthma issues I get.

I was on Symbicort, Singulair, and Ventolin daily, now I'm only on Symbicort every day with Ventolin as needed.  Last pump of Ventolin was on December 30, the day of my last 5K. Big grin

Great job Damaris!  Sounds like steamy conditions.  Were you just trying a test without albuterol or trying to manage it other ways?  I take a couple of hits of albuterol before every run.  Probably not necessary except on race day.  I was diagnosed with "exercise-induced" asthma as a kid, then I didn't do much exercise again until I was 37  Big grin   If I don't use the albuterol before a hard effort, I will be coughing and wheezing for a day or two afterwards.  Honestly, I haven't looked into other ways to control it, but I'm sure there's a better way.  I'm not a big fan of taking meds unless I have to.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Chasing the bus

I'd have melted in that heat, D. Just can't do it, with or without meds, so, well done!

Ran outside, here, first time this spring, at 71 deg. N. lat. Temp zero F, no wind, beautiful night. were on to 16 hr days already, but still cold here, and the wind has been blowing, so I've been chained to the dreadmill when I'm here, up north. I missed my long run at home this week, and had pretty much resigned myself to not making my mileage goal this week. After a 12 hr day (not hard physical labor, but we don't get off 'till 6), and not being able to get to the gym much before 7, and trying to run as much as possible, in my slow MAF way, it's hard to get mileage in and still get down to get something hot to eat before they close the kitchen at 8:30pm. so yesterday, on hopes of good weather, I brought my clothes to work, and after my relief arrived, I literally ran out the door! HR immediatly skyrocketed. I didn't believe it at first, thought it was just initial anomaly, but I am using electrode gel, and it eventually came down. I think it was just first-outside-run-here-this-spring jitters? Otherwise uneventful. Got in an easy 10 miles in the arctic AND got a hot meal! I also think I'm getting used to 30 mile weeks, and running 2 hrs. is becoming less stressful. Thinking about the move from 30-35...

Synopsis; 10 miles outside last night, avg. HR 126, pace 11:31, finish my week at 30.1 miles.

Have a great weekend, all!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                                Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test