Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23113 times)

Just back from 3 weeks of travel, and getting back to it. Did some walking while away, not my normal volume or anything formalized. Started with a 4 mile walk today, which included a walking MAF test. Lost only a little fitness and weight remained even, so that's good.

Keep going! Cool

--Jimmy

woo hey welcome back here! Smile

Today is my LiteDay

I'm still building up from it being a "Rest Day"

so for me it was just

:20 walk-only

No jogging.

Saturday is LongRun :50

Fran

Bad Ass

Hi, another 5 this morning at 140HR and 11:31mm.  Yesterday it was 144 and 11:32mm but it was 88F then and 72F this morning, so the weather sucked.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

jimmyb

4 miles run/walk with 1 mile MAF test (running). My running aerobic speed is still improving from walking. I did a some run/walk aerobic intervals after the MAF test. My running is back to a speed that's comfortable, and feel I can start adding more running.

Cool

Log    PRs

Bad Ass

I sound like a broken record, but another 5 at 142 this morning and 11:36mm.

Blog

Consistently Slow

1st run this week .Tennis elbow. Slight swollen . Received a cortisone shot.I It helped the knee.

12 miles  HR 132 /164.

Jimmy ,wearing wicking socks your feet dry fast. It is a great race There is a HM in Feb. It does not do the waist deep water crossing.

Run until the trail runs out.

2014***1500 miles 09/28/14

50miler 13:26:18

Race Less Train More

Pistol 100 ----01/03/15

Ana Trason  "Living Her Life"

"The Marble in The Groove"

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Bad Ass

6 miles with a 5K in the middle.  Warmup at 140HR and 5K at 174HR.  Not a PR but albuterol free and one of my fastest performances since asthma.

Blog

6 miles with a 5K in the middle.  Warmup at 140HR and 5K at 174HR.  Not a PR but albuterol free and one of my fastest performances since asthma.

Great race. Congrats on the no Albu

Fran

Chasing the bus

Run last night was another inexplicably brutal one...I dunno. HR was low, but just didn't have it. Cut it short at 4 mi. Mileage this week is toast, gotta find some consistency! weather killing me too...almost spring, then winter again. Oh well, there's always next week!

Have a great weekend, all!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Bad Ass

I did 12.20 miles today at 145 but the pace was 11:06mm average.  Most of the miles were 10:30-10:51 and with this hot and humid weather, the fact that the HR was so low says a lot!

Blog

labhiker

no running this weekend.  Worked out on the eliptical both Sat. and Sunday for 60 minutes @ 122-126 ave.   Also walked both days.  Slow, easy come back.

labhiker

Bad Ass

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning at 138HR and 11:42mm.

Edited:  Did 2 miles @ 138HR in the afternoon, and 2.66 run/walking with my husband.

Question for those that use MAFF on hills.  What do you guys do?  Do you run the uphill until you reached Maff and walk after?  I have the SF Marathon in June and I don't train in hills so I was considering walking the uphills and running the downhills.  I always run marathons at 155HR so I wonder if I should just run uphill until I reach 155 and then walk until I lower the HR.  Thoughts?

Blog

I run a pace easy enough that I don't go above my HR target, but I keep running.  This is an awful lot of guess and check, but I've learned to do it pretty well by feel.  Many of my routes have hills like this in them.  Anything much steeper, and I find power-hiking more efficient in terms of pace-at-given-HR, though.

Since you don't have the chance to run hills often, though, I would say "be more conservative on hills than you think you need to."

To hit your target HR, do you plan to let it slowly rise over the race?  I've had great luck using the MARCO Marathon Calculator for that.  If you follow the HRs, not the paces, the hills won't matter--just don't go above a given mile's HR target.

The last time I used MARCO, I will admit that I Sharpied all over my arm to do it. Smile

Good luck!  Running hills is fun as long as you remember: give speed to the hill on the way up, take speed from the hill on the way down.

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning at 138HR and 11:42mm.

Edited:  Did 2 miles @ 138HR in the afternoon, and 2.66 run/walking with my husband.

Question for those that use MAFF on hills.  What do you guys do?  Do you run the uphill until you reached Maff and walk after?  I have the SF Marathon in June and I don't train in hills so I was considering walking the uphills and running the downhills.  I always run marathons at 155HR so I wonder if I should just run uphill until I reach 155 and then walk until I lower the HR.  Thoughts?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

Bad Ass

Me too!  The first time I used his paces I sharpied my arm too!

SF will be for fun, so I'm not worried but yes, if I can keep running in some way, I would.  I hate walking.  having said that, I can easily hit 170 on hills and my HR for marathon pace is 155.  And that 170 feels like jogging not even running too fast.

Blog

Still recovering from the HM.  First aerobic activity last night...took the sulky off my walk-behind mower, lol.  2.6 miles, 19 m/m, 109 AHR.  Haha!

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013