Low HR Training

HRM tech (Read 216 times)

RER

I was told by a gadget geek that today's heart rate monitors use the same technology as those from years ago. It's an analog signal, the same one in every monitor (the reason you could pick up someone else's HR if you're close, or get interference with other signals around town). I just found a box of HRMs from my lab (retirement...cleaning my office) and wonder if I can mix and match them. All the HRM companies would send us samples. But I always used the old 'hard wired' method to maintain accuracy with our treadmill studies. DavidD

run-easy-race-hard

You can probably mix and match some, but not all. For example, my nike monitors are polar-compatible, but the garmins aren't compatible with any others, although I don't still have my timex, maybe that matches something. Some also are encoded so that they only match the one they came with.
      RER

Thanks, Jesse. My tech geek friend also said most HRMs average every so many beats and displays this average, rather than the actual HR. This makes sense to me as I often used these HRMs when I did testing, along with ECG leads on the skin (which gives actual HRs). This would lead one to believe that anaerobic and race HRs would be more accurate (faster beats, quicker display), but it’s clear to me that these HRs are not accurate. The difference, and what’s not taken into account, is stress hormones, which significantly influence the HR. These hormones are raging during runs above MAF, especially in a race. Since stress hormone variability can be significant, so goes the anaerobic HR variability. I noticed a lot of talk about racing HRs as I pop in and out of this forum and wanted to mention that – sorry to be off topic (who’s in charge here, anyway?).

run-easy-race-hard

No one's in charge here. It's anarchy!