Low HR Training

Experienced runner - new to MAF (Read 40 times)

ErnieDK

Hi,

I started MAF running 6 weeks ago.

Decided I needed a radical change after running Berlin marathon end of September this year. I PR'ed in Berlin, but again only with seconds... I have trained hard for 5 years only to improve my marathon PR by 3 minutes.

At training sessions I beat other runners every time - who at races I can't keep up with. I have probably trained too hard.

I like to run every day so I will continue this, but now I will keep at MAF speed and see what it brings.

I will use the MAF tests to make adjustments and monitor what works best for me. I am prepared to put in a lot of slow hours of running the next months, but really like to know if I am at optimal MAF rate. Therefor I am intrigued about determining my MAF zone from my heart rate graph.

I did an attempt yesterday - on the treadmill, 0,1 km/h increase every 10 second as advised in this forum, but I really can't tell from the curve where my MAF point is.

Any suggestions from the experts in here? Where is the HR resistance?

Curve

BeeRunB

Welcome to the Land Of Lipid Burning Development, Ernie.

Not sure what you mean about heart rate resistance, but looking at your graph the most well-defined deflection point is around 140 bpm. Nice steady and steeper rise after that point. Lot of up and down in the early parts of the test, but if you draw a line ignoring those dips, there's a less defined one about 133. Not sure how that matches up with the 180-age formula (+5 if you've been improving for a few years).

How long did you warm up? Did you notice any changes in your breathing at any point during your test?

--JImmyCool

Not sure how that matches up with the 180-age formula (+5 if you've been improving for a few years).

I don't see OP mentioning his age anywhere...?

I guess he can add the 5 bpm though...

ErnieDK

Hi Jimmy,

I am 44 years old - turning 45 in 3 months, so max MAF point 140 is spot on Smile

I have been using 141 as calculated so the curve confirms this level.

Now I am more confident that I am training at the optimal intensity.

I didn't pay too much attention to the breathing while doing the test - I focused on doing the 10 sec interval speed increase.

I did the test after a 8K MAF test - so I was warmed up for sure. Just had a few minutes break in between.

Thank you for the input!

Best regards,

Ernie

BeeRunB

You're welcome, Ernie.

I added a link to this thread in the treadmill test thread. A good example supporting the test.

Thank you.

Cool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is the 3 minute PR improvement on the same course? Do you taper? How many miles to you run a month? How often do you do speed work? Are your races the same time of year( weather wise)? There are a lot of variables?

Hi,

I started MAF running 6 weeks ago.

Decided I needed a radical change after running Berlin marathon end of September this year. I PR'ed in Berlin, but again only with seconds... I have trained hard for 5 years only to improve my marathon PR by 3 minutes.

At training sessions I beat other runners every time - who at races I can't keep up with. I have probably trained too hard.

I like to run every day so I will continue this, but now I will keep at MAF speed and see what it brings.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ErnieDK

Hi Clay,

I run 50 miles per week in average. When in marathon training I have built up to 80 miles per week (peaking 5 weeks before race day).

I have myself thought that I didn't taper enough, so I have really been conservative the last two years, but no significant improvement from that.

All marathons have been Berlin marathon. I have never run more than 1 marathon each year.

This year I completed the marathon at 2:48:00 - one year earlier the time was 2:48:45.

My training partner ran this year 2:41.

My training plan had for the last 2 years been inspired primarily from Jack Daniels - following his calculated training paces for easy, tempo, interval and reps. Normally 2 quality sessions per week - in example 1 tempo run and 1 run with intervals. The rest of the milage have been "easy" running at approx 7:00 pace.

Now following LHR training all my runs average 7:45 pace.

Comparing my MAF pace with my marathon time it seems obvious that my aerob system needs to be developed more.

So now I have been running slowly for 7 weeks and I do see improvements already.

For those of you familiar with Jack Daniels intensity points - my weekly training intensity was earlier approx 150 point per week.

In the 7 weeks of MAF training I have built up from 80 to 110 points per week.

Hi Clay,

I run 50 miles per week in average. When in marathon training I have built up to 80 miles per week (peaking 5 weeks before race day).

I have myself thought that I didn't taper enough, so I have really been conservative the last two years, but no significant improvement from that.

All marathons have been Berlin marathon. I have never run more than 1 marathon each year.

This year I completed the marathon at 2:48:00 - one year earlier the time was 2:48:45.

My training partner ran this year 2:41.

My training plan had for the last 2 years been inspired primarily from Jack Daniels - following his calculated training paces for easy, tempo, interval and reps. Normally 2 quality sessions per week - in example 1 tempo run and 1 run with intervals. The rest of the milage have been "easy" running at approx 7:00 pace.

Now following LHR training all my runs average 7:45 pace.

Comparing my MAF pace with my marathon time it seems obvious that my aerob system needs to be developed more.

So now I have been running slowly for 7 weeks and I do see improvements already.

For those of you familiar with Jack Daniels intensity points - my weekly training intensity was earlier approx 150 point per week.

In the 7 weeks of MAF training I have built up from 80 to 110 points per week.

wow that's pretty cool marathon times. what are your 5K/10K/HM PR's if you mind sharing?

yeah, 7:00 pace doesn't sound that easy if you have quality sessions. 7:45 does sound more like it!

good luck and let us know about how things are going for you! Smile

ErnieDK

Of course..

Here are my PR's:

5K ... 16.56

10K ... 35:19

HM ... 1:19:13

M ... 2:48:00

I will keep you posted how I progress with MAF training Smile

Of course..

Here are my PR's:

5K ... 16.56

10K ... 35:19

HM ... 1:19:13

M ... 2:48:00

I will keep you posted how I progress with MAF training Smile

nice times, your endurance is pretty good too Smile