Low HR Training

An Experiment of One: Tracking MAF Progress From Zero (Read 1500 times)

kfmfe04

Week 5 MAF Report 107km/67mi Base Building

A Good Week

Week 5 saw an increase in volume from 52 miles to 67 miles.  I think I will stabilize between 60-70 miles for a while now.  A big thumbs-up for MAFing for increasing volume without injury.  Five weeks ago, I was a couch potato.  Now, I am doing more weekly mileage than I have ever done, all without injury.  Simply amazing.

Weight Loss

In the 5 weeks of MAFing, I have lost 2.8kg (6.2lb) or 0.56kg (1.23lb) per week.  This is nothing spectacular, especially in the context of the mileage that I am putting in.  However, the last two weeks, I have lost 0.7kg (1.54lb) consistently each week.  The general rule is, a safe rate of loss per week is 2lb, so I guess from that perspective, my current rate is ok.  I think if I can find the right mix of foods and grazing rate, I should be able to lose at the rate of 1kg per week (given the number of calories I'm burning from MAFing, this seems to be reasonable).  I'm currently at 68.6kg and I want to get down to 59kg.  At the rate of 0.7kg/week, that's about 14 weeks from now or around beginning of October.  I will continue adjusting my diet to see if I can keep this up.

Pace Update

This week's fastest pace was a 7'28"mpk on Day 35 during a crazy rainy BF run.  Week 5 rounded out with an average pace of 7'56"mpk (vs 9'01" mpk in Week 1).  The target remains to be a 10k MAF at 5'41"mpk (4h marathon pace).

Settling In

My daily runs are settling in at 10k shodded plus a 5k barefoot.  Over time, the intention is to change this to 10k barefoot plus a 5k huaraches, but the huaraches aren't expected to arrive until late June, so I have some time to adjust.  Recently, I have been thinking about doing intervals all under MAF to make the daily runs more interesting.  Once a week, usually Saturday, I will do a longer run.  As long as I'm making progress, losing weight, and having fun, I don't intend to change the schedule much.

- Ken

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log

kfmfe04

Week 6 MAF Report 96km/60mi Base Building

Nice Aerobic Progress

Week 6 saw a small drop in volume from 67mi to 60mi.  Early in the week, I aborted a barefoot run due to stomach ailments.  However, average pace improved from 7'56"mpk (12'41"mpm) to 7'34"mpk (12'06"mpm) while average HR dropped from 134 down to 132 (MAF-6).  Overall, the efficiency ratio increased from 1.36 to 1.44.  Monday through Wednesday had low temperatures (22C, 22C, 21C) which allowed me to PB three days in a row.  5k PB is now 35:01.

New Dynamic Hard-Easy Schedule

Aerobically, I am doing fine, but I think the higher weekly mileage is increasing the likelihood for injury.  So I've decided to follow this intermediate hard-easy schedule, in principle.

The problem with any mileage based schedule is, if my pace is slow (which it is), I will be pounding the pavement much longer than I want to, which will make me prone to injury, once again.  It is my understanding that during base-building, time spent training is a better predictor of the potential for injury than simply mileage.  This makes a lot of sense because 10k for someone who is fit may be an hour jog, but for a couch potato who is starting out, it could easily take a couple hours.

My solution is to modify any mileage based schedule to be a function of my expected pace and expected time spent on the longest run for the week.  The slower my pace, the more I will cut down on the mileage.  That way, I don't end up spending 5-6 hours on a long run Saturday!  

If you check out the schedule tab of my training log, you can see what I mean.  In column T from T22 to T32, I will update my expected pace in mpk.  Then I will enter how long I want my longest run to be for that week in T36 to T46 in hh:mm:ss.  My final schedule will show up in km from L36 to R46 and the expected time required will show up from L50 to R60.

Depending on how I feel at the end of each week, I will either increase or decrease the expected time spent on the longest run for the week.  Expected pace can easily be updated with the latest figures from the past week.  The idea is to build a dynamic schedule that will change depending on my progress and on the current environment (eg if it gets hot, I expect my pace to drop, which will decrease the mileage in the following week, accordingly).

One last note: the km listed will be the combined mileage for shodded plus barefoot.  Depending on my mood and physical condition that day, I will distribute the mileage accordingly.

- Ken

My Training Log

The problem with any mileage based schedule is, if my pace is slow (which it is), I will be pounding the pavement much longer than I want to, which will make me prone to injury, once again.  It is my understanding that during base-building, time spent training is a better predictor of the potential for injury than simply mileage.  This makes a lot of sense because 10k for someone who is fit may be an hour jog, but for a couch potato who is starting out, it could easily take a couple hours.

Ken:

This does not make sense to me.  I thought running fast before ready for it increases the likelihood of injury.  I find that running slow no matter the time decreases the likelihood of injury.

Chris

kfmfe04

Ken:

This does not make sense to me.  I thought running fast before ready for it increases the likelihood of injury.  I find that running slow no matter the time decreases the likelihood of injury.

I agree with you 100%.  I think I didn't convey my idea clearly - lemme try again.

What I am saying instead, is that a distance-based schedule may tell me to run 20mi, but if I am not fit, 20mi may take me 4-5 hours to finish at my current pace.

Since trying to do that much exercise at once (even at a snail's pace) may cause injury, I will scale back the mileage so that it's only a 3 hour run (so maybe down to 15mi).  I call this scaling back according to expected pace and expected time, a pace/time-based schedule.  The advantage is less likelihood for injury (since I won't be doing distances until I'm more ready for it).  The disadvantage is, I must have a more flexible schedule/overall plan because it may take me longer to reach the 20mi mark.

Almost all marathon schedules in books are distance-based schedules, but with a spreadsheet like Excel or Google docs, it's not hard to convert them into pace/time-based schedules.

- Ken

My Training Log

jimmyb

Ken:

It's all about training load. Running easier takes some stress off, but there is still a limit  to how much time you can spend on your feet. You can still injure yourself running at MAF.

A two hour run has less impact than a four hour run at the same effort (e.g. both done at MAF).  An elite might be able to get 20 miles finished at MAF in 2.5 hours, where the same distance at MAF could take me 4.5 hours.  I would probably take twice as many footfalls as the elite in that distance. Add to that all the other stresses that come in the more and more time you spend on your feet---like dehydration, or hyponatremia, glycogen depletion, etc.  Volume of time needs to be looked at and managed.

--JImmyCool

Log    PRs

kfmfe04

It's all about training load. Running easier takes some stress off, but there is still a limit  to how much time you can spend on your feet. You can still injure yourself running at MAF.

A two hour run has less impact than a four hour run at the same effort (e.g. both done at MAF).  An elite might be able to get 20 miles finished at MAF in 2.5 hours, where the same distance at MAF could take me 4.5 hours.  I would probably take twice as many footfalls as the elite in that distance. Add to that all the other stresses that come in the more and more time you spend on your feet---like dehydration, or hyponatremia, glycogen depletion, etc.  Volume of time needs to be looked at and managed.

--JImmyCool

Very well said!

Sometimes, it takes a playwright to explain it more eloquently.

Thx, Jimmy!

- Ken

My Training Log

kfmfe04

Just for fun, I generated a plot of my weight loss so far thanks to MAF and mostly careful, but sometimes sloppy dieting.

Looks like it takes me about 11 (10.9) days to lose a kg or about 5 (4.9) days to lose a lb.

That's a bit slow when you consider that I'm MAFing like 12 hours a week!

My waist has improved, but there is still noticeable fat.

A too drastic cut in calories is probably screwing with my metabolism, so I'm trying to eat smaller meals more often...

Anyhow, for weight at least, any loss is better than no loss.

- Ken

My Training Log

Just for fun, I generated a plot of my weight loss so far thanks to MAF and mostly careful, but sometimes sloppy dieting.

Looks like it takes me about 11 (10.9) days to lose a kg or about 5 (4.9) days to lose a lb.

That's a bit slow when you consider that I'm MAFing like 12 hours a week!

My waist has improved, but there is still noticeable fat.

A too drastic cut in calories is probably screwing with my metabolism, so I'm trying to eat smaller meals more often...

Anyhow, for weight at least, any loss is better than no loss.

- Ken

I'd also say a small loss is better than a drastic loss - slow loss tends to stay off from all accounts.

I took 6 months to lose 6 kilos to get to race weight (finally made it with 4 weeks to spare!)

How much re you trying to lose?

kfmfe04

I'd also say a small loss is better than a drastic loss - slow loss tends to stay off from all accounts.

I took 6 months to lose 6 kilos to get to race weight (finally made it with 4 weeks to spare!)

How much re you trying to lose?

I need to lose another 8 kilos, with no time limit, really.

At the current rate, that'll be around 3 months, but I have a feeling that the rate will slow down as I get closer, so it may actually take 4-5 months.

- Ken

My Training Log

kfmfe04

While on the subject of weight-loss, I thought it would be fun to calculate my daily caloric deficit and some other interesting numbers into my Training Log.  Starting with the basic formula for daily calories:

net = calories_in - calories_out

calories_in = food

calories_out = bmr + run + yoga

Combining the three formulae, I get:

net = food - (bmr + run + yoga)

I would like to solve for food, so I rearrange to get:

food = net + bmr + run + yoga

Guesstimate the following numbers:

yoga = 300 (200 for easy up to 600 for bikram)

run = 1079 (average day given a week's worth, off the HRM/GPS watch)

bmr = 1533 (plugging in 168cm, 66.6kg, age=42M into this calculator)

net = -1100 (7700kcal/kg fat, current loss of 1kg/7days gives 1100/day)

plug in those numbers and I get:

food = 1812 kcal per day (current estimated daily intake)

I've rearranged the formulae to solve for food because I'm lazy and hate counting calories - since I record or can estimate the other numbers, this works out for me.  Note that I'm making an assumption that all the calories I'm burning are fat calories.  The calculation would be a bit more complicated if I were to attempt to count CHO or protein calories burned.

I exercise pretty consistently and I eat mostly the same kinds of foods (at least in terms of calories and general mix of types) each day, so that rough guesstimate of 1812kcal eaten per day is probably a decent guess.

This number is actually a few hundred calories higher than I expected, because I thought I was eating mostly healthy whole foods, but I guess if I eat enough food, healthy or not, it's going to add up.  Come to think of it, it's probably my in-between-meal-snacks (which help me control my appetite) which push the number up.

Given my estimates so far, I would say that I could probably take in up to another 500 healthy calories a day.  On special days, like the day before a long run, I will take in extra CHO as a pseudo-carboload to help the next morning's run.  Currently, I eat breakfast right after my daily morning run, and I eat lunch right after my daily yoga session.  I think both practices help me absorb calories/nutrients well.  My dinner tends to be light (salads and fruit + sometimes, a bit of complex carbs, but no proteins) and early (6PM) so I sleep easy.

Also, early in my training, I gave myself one day a week to eat anything I want.  These days, as I'm finding nutritious foods that I really enjoy, I find myself needing to use my free pass less and less.

The interesting thing about all this is, as my weight goes down the calories burnt during the run and the bmr are going to go down, so I can't really just go bonkers at In-And-Out Burgers...  otoh, as warned by seanm, it's a bad idea to lose weight too quickly (will also lose muscle, etc...).  So I intend to update my numbers on a weekly basis to make sure that I eat enough, but don't eat too much. 

- Ken

My Training Log

kfmfe04

Week 7 MAF Report 84km/52mi Base Building

Training Summary

Week 7 saw another drop in volume from 60mi to 52mi.  Pace improved slightly from 7'34"mpk (12'06"mpm) to 7'24"mpk (11'53"mpm) while average HR dropped slightly from 132 down to 131 (MAF-7).  Overall, the efficiency factor increased from 1.44 to 1.48.

5k PB is now 33:56 and 10k PB is now 1:12:12, so I'm edging towards the 5k target of 30min and 10k target of 1hr.  The difference between the two could be mostly due to the barefoot PB in the 5k, while the 10k PB is shodded.  Since I am below MAF on all these runs, the 4:20 difference is probably due mostly to the weight of the shoes and the added cooling effect of going barefoot. 

Weight Loss Coming Along

I lost 1.6kg this week vs the projected 0.9kg, indicating that I was probably eating fewer calories than normal (or, I could possibly be dehydrated).  The end of the week weight was 66.6kg or 147lb.  This is around my high school weight.  Looking forward, I have another 7.6kg or 17lb to lose. 

Focus in the Coming Week

As my dynamic schedule is quite new, I still need to pay close attention to fatigue and possible injury and adjust accordingly.  The other area that will need attention is food intake vs weight loss.

So far, my body feels relatively comfortable with this rate of loss, but according to general rules of thumb, the rate is a little on the high side.

- Ken

My Training Log

kfmfe04

Week 8 MAF Report 62km/39mi Base Building

Training Summary

Week 8 saw another drop in volume from 52mi to 39mi.  At first, a slower pace of 7'57" mpk (12'45"mpm) vs 7'24"mpk (11'53"mpm) looks discouraging.  Even the efficiency factor dropped from 1.48 to 1.42.  

But there were some positive signs.  Average HR dropped from 131 to 127 as average temperature spiked from 24.4C (75.9F) to 27.3C (81.1F).

Weight actually increased slightly 0.2kg (0.44lb).  No PBs were set this week.

With the smaller volume and lower HR on higher temperatures, we can write this week off as an active rest week.

- Ken

My Training Log

kfmfe04

Week 9 MAF Report 50km/31mi Base Building

Training Summary

Week 9 had decreasing volume from 39mi to 31mi.  Pace had improved slightly to 7'40" mpk (12'25"mpm) from 7'57" mpk (12'45"mpm).  Actually, the numbers would have been much better if we were to throw out the outlier on Day 62, a disastrous shodded treadmill run that resulted in 14'11"mpm.

At first, a slower pace of 7'57" mpk (12'45"mpm) vs 7'24"mpk (11'53"mpm) looks discouraging.  Even the efficiency factor dropped from 1.48 to 1.42.  

Efficiency improved to 1.44 from 1.42, but average HR was up to 131 from 127, indicating greater effort on heat acclimation.  A new 10k PB was set on Day 58 with an average pace of 6'59" mpk (11'10"mpm) with the new huaraches in rainy weather.

Projecting Days to Target Weight

A detailed analysis of weight loss seems to indicate linear progress over time, which will obviously disappear eventually or I will go to a weight of zero.  But hopefully, I will not use this rate of loss before I hit my target of 59kg (130lb).  Given the weight data over time, I can easily do a linear regression to determine my average rate of loss (10.6 days per kg).  I know my current weight, my target weight, and the rate of loss, so I can calculate the days2tgt or days to target weight every day.

For instance, this morning's weight was 65.4 kg, projecting 68 days before I hit my target weight of 59kg.

Here is a plot of weight loss over time and residuals from the projections.

The residuals show no obvious patterns, so the linear regression appears to be plausible.

- Ken

My Training Log

Just checking in.  Looking at your log you missed a full 2 weeks then started up again for a couple days and then nothing since.

Hopefully everything is okay and you are just taking a break.

Age: 46 Weight: 208 Height: 6'2" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:48:09; HM 1:43:26; 10K 44:51; 5K 21:27

kfmfe04

Just checking in.  Looking at your log you missed a full 2 weeks then started up again for a couple days and then nothing since.

Hopefully everything is okay and you are just taking a break.

Thanks for the check up!

I actually got a muscle strain somewhere near my piriformis (aka a literal "pain in the ass") and lower back.  It was bad enough that I could not sit at all - I could only stand or lie down for almost an entire week!

Went to see a doctor, got some anti-inflammatories, and now, I'm almost back to normal.  As you noticed, I tried starting up again, but my body was telling me it was still too early.  I hope to start jogging very short distances again in the next few days.

Luckily, I started keeping track of my calorie intake and managed to keep my weight-loss intact over the month that I lost.

- Ken

My Training Log