Low HR Training

New to Low HR training.Advice needed (Read 36 times)

kajor

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone as I am new to this forum, and to say sorry for my bad English.
    I'm 29 male from Poland,5'8.1" and 151 lbs.
    I started running about a year ago in addition to quit smoking. My typical week includes about 4 running days, 3 about 5km, and 1 longer run about 8km. I've found this forum when I was looking for the hr based training plan.
    I calculated my MAF HR as 180 - age which gives me number 151. The problem is I can't keep below this HR even when I jog slow. When I just walk my HR can't go over 130, and mostly it is about 120 to 126. But when I try to jog, my heart rate spikes to about 145 and then raise gradualy to about 160 or even 170. I can walk all day with this 120 bpm HR but can't run/jog with hr = 160 longer than an hour.

So my questions are:
    1) Are these hr rise sign of underdeveloped aerobic system?
    2) What can I do to help improve my training?

Thanks in advance

Wojtek

Sorry for double topic.

AlexVan

Motivated by HRV

Welcome to the group Wojtek.  I live in Lodz, PL ... but I speak very little Polish (cześć...)  Other guys on this forum that are much more experienced than me and I am sure will give you some nice replies and I am sure, just wanted to say hi.    ~alex

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

Hey Wojtek,

Welcome to the board!

Yes, not being able to run at your MAF usually indicates an aerobic deficiency.

A few questions:

--what speed can you walk when at 130 bpm?

--what speed can you run at 151 bpm? (even if it's only a kilometer or two)

What you want to do is do an MAF test with running. If you cant run for too long, use duration or time for the test. For example, if you can only run for 15 minutes at MAF before you have to walk, then the first test will be 15 minutes. If it's 5 minutes, it's 5 minutes. Record the distance, average pace, temperature, humidity, and if you're outdoors whether or not it was sunny, cloudy, overcast, and the wind speed. Perhaps the 2nd test will be 19 minutes, and maybe the 3rd test, 20 minutes. The test will last as long as you can run. Perhaps in a years time, you'll be running 1 hour and 8k.

The speed you move at MAF is called aerobic speed. You want to be getting faster and faster at MAF. You might see some slowing in the first month or so, but it should turn around at some point when you reach the proper volume to get enough stimulus. Many see improvement right away.

In your general aerobic base training, it's okay to run/walk. Long walks at a brisk pace will develop your aerobic system. You can run and take walk breaks, letting your heart rate drop to 120, then running until you can't hold 151, then walking again. That's fine.

Keep building the amount of time you spend training a little each week, maybe 5%. Have hard days and easy days. Hard days would be long duration, and easy days short duration.

Always rest if you feel exhausted or have dead legs.

What brought you to this training? How's your body feeling?

--Jimmy Cool

Log    PRs

kajor

Today morning I made a brisk walk for 40 minutes.My average pace was about 12:50 min/mi with average HR of 126bpm. The problem with pace at 151 bpm is that I've rarely seen this number on my hr monitor as my hr spikes higher. But I will say that pace will be about 10:30 min/mi. I know there is a gap between this 2 values but I can't suit into it neither with running, nor with walking. It is said that one has to walk before he will learn to run.Maybe that's the case and I should keep with walking for few a weeks before i start to jog.

After the walk I am not tired at all.The only area that is sore is a bit below knee from the back side of my right leg(don't know how to name it,sorry).

I read about few training methods and what I like is Lydiard's aproach. So for the future I'd like to build my base Lydiard style at MAF HR, then all the hills, speed, etc. But first I need to learn running at MAF.

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

12:50 pace is very fast walking at that HR, and 10:30 pace at 151bpm isn't a bad place to be starting. I really don't think your aerobic system is in bad shape at all. It can get better, but I wouldn't call it deficient. Many of us here have had to run a lot slower than 10:30 at times. Everybody has a different point where they feel they have to walk; some don't like having to change their stride. There can be an adjustment to a slower pace (for example 11:00 pace for you). Personally, I can run comfortably up to 18:00 pace with no problem (yes, I've been that deficient at times). I just shorten the stride, but keep the same rhythm.

Like I said, walking has its benefit, so don't worry if you choose to walk rather than run slower than 10:30. Just work on your volume, and make sure that you do the MAF test, and that the pace at MAF is progressing. Before you know it, you'll be running everything if you wish.

Make sure you take at least 15 minutes to get from starting heart rate to your MAF. Warm-up. You might try warming up to 141 bpm, then hold that pace and feel. Stay in that 141-151 bpm zone, and only get to 151 near the end of the run. It'll give you some headroom, and you won't have to worry about spikes so much. It can be hard to stay exactly at 151 running outside.

Your English isn't bad a all. Totally understanding what you're writing. Cool

Today morning I made a brisk walk for 40 minutes.My average pace was about 12:50 min/mi with average HR of 126bpm. The problem with pace at 151 bpm is that I've rarely seen this number on my hr monitor as my hr spikes higher. But I will say that pace will be about 10:30 min/mi. I know there is a gap between this 2 values but I can't suit into it neither with running, nor with walking. It is said that one has to walk before he will learn to run.Maybe that's the case and I should keep with walking for few a weeks before i start to jog.

After the walk I am not tired at all.The only area that is sore is a bit below knee from the back side of my right leg(don't know how to name it,sorry).

I read about few training methods and what I like is Lydiard's aproach. So for the future I'd like to build my base Lydiard style at MAF HR, then all the hills, speed, etc. But first I need to learn running at MAF.

Log    PRs

AlexVan

Motivated by HRV

Yes Wojtek, looking at my English above, yours is much better than mine Smile  also as Jimmi says you are fast for a reasonable low hr, or at least faster than me. Smile at my MAF pace of 11:36/mi @ 134 hr (I am 46) or 7:13/km.  I used to "run" much slower than I do now.

kajor

Hi again

Slowly it becomes possible to run below MAF. Not for long distance,but it's kind of progress.For now its only about 200m so i use walk/run method.