Low HR Training

8 weeks into LHR training and seeing results! (Read 1041 times)

SurfNSB

Today marks 8 weeks since starting this LHR training thing. I almost gave up at first because I wasn't used to going slow, but I'm seeing improvements now and I'm enjoying it Smile

First MAF test 12/1/11 (ran a bit over my target HR of 149-150):

Mile 1 - 9:46 - 152HR

Mile 2 - 9:43 - 151HR

Mile 3 - 10:12 - 152 HR

Mile 4 - 10:03 - 149HR

Mile 5 - 10:20 - 151HR

MAF test 1/31/12:

Mile 1 - 9:29 - 147HR

Mile 2 - 9:27 - 148HR

Mile 3 - 9:22 - 149HR

Mile 4 - 9:34 - 149HR

Mile 5 - 9:41 - 149HR

jimmyb

Today marks 8 weeks since starting this LHR training thing. I almost gave up at first because I wasn't used to going slow, but I'm seeing improvements now and I'm enjoying it Smile

First MAF test 12/1/11 (ran a bit over my target HR of 149-150):

Mile 1 - 9:46 - 152HR

Mile 2 - 9:43 - 151HR

Mile 3 - 10:12 - 152 HR

Mile 4 - 10:03 - 149HR

Mile 5 - 10:20 - 151HR

MAF test 1/31/12:

Mile 1 - 9:29 - 147HR

Mile 2 - 9:27 - 148HR

Mile 3 - 9:22 - 149HR

Mile 4 - 9:34 - 149HR

Mile 5 - 9:41 - 149HR

Well, there's some nice improvement! Keep going! Cool

--Jimmy

Log

Great results.  Do you physically feel better as well?

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Great! Should encourage lurkers to start LHR'ing! LOL

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Good job!

I'm about to round the 8 week mark as well. I'm also seeing minor results in pace, but huge results in my weight/body. Fat is literally falling off and I do feel great after my runs. I used to have to psych myself up before a big run just to keep up a fast pace. Now I relish getting on the road and pounding out each mile because I'm working out where I need to be. 

jimmyb

Good job!

I'm about to round the 8 week mark as well. I'm also seeing minor results in pace, but huge results in my weight/body. Fat is literally falling off and I do feel great after my runs. I used to have to psych myself up before a big run just to keep up a fast pace. Now I relish getting on the road and pounding out each mile because I'm working out where I need to be. 

Awesome. The fat coming off is a good sign that your RQ is improving. Keep going!

--Jimmy

Log

SurfNSB

Thanks. I do feel a lot better on my long runs. When I trained for my last marathon I was doing all my long runs at 8:45/mi, which came out to an avg HR about 10-15 bpm over my MAF target HR. Excited to see where I'll be this fall when racing season picks back up here in FL.

SurfNSB

Although today's long run was odd.

I did the first 6 miles at a 10:05 pace with an avg HR of 154.

Then I did the next 5 miles at a 9:45 pace with HR of 151. There was even a bit more head wind on this part.

Kind of the opposite of what is supposed to happen!

SurfNSB

Had my first MAF test a few days ago where my average was under 9:00 min/mi even though it's been getting warmer out. It was 8:56 I think. Over a minute improvement since starting in December. Not bad!
                    jimmyb

Had my first MAF test a few days ago where my average was under 9:00 min/mi even though it's been getting warmer out. It was 8:56 I think. Over a minute improvement since starting in December. Not bad!

Yay! That's huge. Keep going!

--JimmyCool

Log

nikib5

That gives me hope. I'm a newbie to this forum and to the Maffetone method. My aerobic system must be shot to hell because I'm doing 13-15 minute miles. Before that, I wasn't all that speedy anyway at 10-11 min/mile, so I guess that makes sense. I have been doing this since the end of February and haven't seen any improvement yet but I've been dealing with adrenal fatigue. Thanks for the report.

labhiker

Wow - great improvements.  Congrats

labhiker