Low HR Training

Marathon training schedule (Read 371 times)

radsb

I'm a beginner runner. I began a MAF training regimen about a month ago and have gotten good progress. I'm thinking of targetting a marathon at the end of september. How do I integrate the MAF training into the typical marathon training plans that go by distance and ramp towards the race date? Right now I'm running by time.

C-R

Keeping at MAF during training is not so hard. So I wouldn't worry about that. Most of us here have trained and completed a marathon on just MAF or below miles.

There are a couple of books on marathon training while focusing on time vs. distance. Can't recall right now but something makes me think it "How to train for your first marathon". Anyway, look around the library for some choices. It should be there or something like it. If not, take a normal plan and convert miles to times based on your pace.

I have a couple of questions  you said late September. So you're giving 5 months of training. Are you racing, running or run/walking it? How much time per week are you running and what is your longest time out per week? Do you participate in any other fitness regimes or sports? Where I'm going with this is that first marathon is pretty challenging and you should build up to 40 miles per week or the time equivalent to handle the extra stress of marathon prep. Its doable but something to consider.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

radsb

I have a couple of questions  you said late September. So you're giving 5 months of training. Are you racing, running or run/walking it? How much time per week are you running and what is your longest time out per week? Do you participate in any other fitness regimes or sports? Where I'm going with this is that first marathon is pretty challenging and you should build up to 40 miles per week or the time equivalent to handle the extra stress of marathon prep. Its doable but something to consider.

I did couch 2 5k and another 2 months after that last year then stopped in the winter. Read about MAF and restarted this year mid-march. I don't know what my marathon pace will end up. Basically I am trying to do as well as possible. Run/walk is an option. Half-marathon is an option. Finishing is the primary goal. Right now I'm running 4 1/4 hours a week (incl.warm up/down, which I've been ramping up since March. I don't do other sports.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know how my MAF tests will progress so I'm not sure about converting distance over to times. I tried a  conversion of Galloway's sched and am following that.

I have a 13:48 MAF, down from 15:42 in 3/24/12.

radsb

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/articlePages/page/21

On Mcmillan's site he says "If you can build to doing 13-15 miles at your marathon goal pace without excess effort, then you can be very confident that you will reach your marathon goal time."

Would you consider that reliable? If so I'll use that as one of two training targets. How would you define "excess effort"?

lesterbsb

Hi mates,

I started reading stuff on low HR training, Maffetone´s method, etc. I´m not a beginner runner, but last year I got stuck after gifted on an ITB injure. I´m running minimalists, 5 fingers, since january 2013.

But there´s one thing is vague enough, that´s almost making me get rid of this low hr training: the lack of coaches or some source to help me schedule a training program. Yes...its written everywhere that it´s particular to my goals...so Every trainning plan is !!! And my goal is 42k under 3h15.

What I do need and cannot find answers after a couple of weeks on  search is :

- How long should I run daily at this begining (12 weeks of basebuild)

- How much should I increase running time weekly?

- What trainning variations should I be submitted (short runs, long runs, speed runs....)

- After those 12 weeks, how should I train?

This method appears to be so cool, but it´s impressive neither Phil Maffetone has more than 1 coach he knows who follows his method ! Why????? It´s damn hard to find someone to prepare you with this low hr approach, and I´d be extremely thankful to find someone to guide me through this process (or send me a coach´s name)

many thanks to all of you, keep running !

Lester

Bad Ass

What I do is run all my easy miles at Maf and then do the speedwork at the appropriate paces (always comparing the HR later).  For example, today I had 14 miles with the last 4 @ MP, so I ran 10 @ MAF and 4 @ MP.

This does not mean I'm following the true MAF method, since he advocates a set number of months at MAF only, but I combine them both successfully.

Good luck!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."