Low HR Training

TRX and maf (Read 20 times)

Runslowalksalot

I toyed with Maf this past spring and did a 10 miler Averaging 9:42 s.  Fastest  being 9:32,  Slowest and last was 10:12 at 142 bpm.   I'm not specifically a runner, an  my other activities ruled it out(mountain biking is all over the place) .   Anyways.... I want to give it a go but I really like my TRX CLASS which is also, a plyometics class, sending my heart rate through the roof, especially on the sled push.  According to Maf, I can't go to these classes.   It's 20 stations X 2  so 40X1 minute intervals with 1 minute rest between intervals once a week.   It's hardcore (ha ha). Realistically what effect will this have on my Maf training?

BeeRunB

There's only one way to find out. If you decide not to periodize, and instead combine both aerobic and anaerobic workouts, just keep track of your aerobic speed (speed at MAF HR) with either MAF tests or identical training runs at MAF. If you get faster at that HR and your body feels good, with no minor or major injuries, with no elevated or depressed resting heart rate,  and with no lingering exhaustion, then you're good, until you're not. If your aerobic speed starts regressing, or just never improves, then adjustments need to be made (if your desire is to develop your aerobic system and endurance, and to stay healthy).

Good luck.

Jimmy

I toyed with Maf this past spring and did a 10 miler Averaging 9:42 s.  Fastest  being 9:32,  Slowest and last was 10:12 at 142 bpm.   I'm not specifically a runner, an  my other activities ruled it out(mountain biking is all over the place) .   Anyways.... I want to give it a go but I really like my TRX CLASS which is also, a plyometics class, sending my heart rate through the roof, especially on the sled push.  According to Maf, I can't go to these classes.   It's 20 stations X 2  so 40X1 minute intervals with 1 minute rest between intervals once a week.   It's hardcore (ha ha). Realistically what effect will this have on my Maf training?

what jimmyb said Smile

also check out Maffetone's site, it's got updates that aren't in the books. he's reviewed some lines from the books that sounded too black and white originally.

btw.. your MAF pace is pretty sweet for a start!