Low HR Training

what is your resting HR range and how do you use it? (Read 486 times)

barefootin'

I've been tracking my resting HR for a while, first thing in the morning.

My range has been around 45 to 55.  I have been really taking it easy, or not running, if it is over 53 or so.

What is a typical range, and how do you manage your resting HR?

Bill Wagnon / stl

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Not being a Dr I can only comment based on what I have read and understand. With that out of the way, the lower your resting HR, generally, the better your conditioning and lower your stress levels are. Not sure how one manages resting HR without drugs, e.g. Beta Blockers. Exercise, conditioning, lowering stress should lower resting HR I would think.

My heavily medicated (and beta blocked) body has a resting HR of 48 and lower - not sure how much is exercise or drug induced to get that low. I set off low HR alarms when being monitored during a Colonoscopy because they set the alarm at 50. Nurse said you must be in great shape... So 50 must be considered low end of "normal" or something like that. 

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Dr.R

As a doctor of Chiropractic and a devotee of Dr. Phil's work for many years, I would suggest the use of the ithlete system, which you can find at www.myithlete.com.  Dr. Phil turned me on to this system, and through its measurement of heart rate variability, gives a more accurate measurement of possible stress on your body than just tracking resting heart rate.  Heart rate in and of itself can vary for many, many reasons, from stress, to sickness, to medications, to dehydration.  The ithlete measures the resting time between heart rates and respiration, and this seems to give a better idea as to where you are functionally, and the interface is rather straight forward.

Takes some time to establish a pattern, and I have had some buggy issues with my toggle, but the customer service has been outstanding, and really for the money you spend I feel the information is invaluable, used correctly of course.

Had one particular athlete/patient who is very fit, but was always getting  sick and injured.  Since becoming sold on the ithlete, he literally has not gotten sick in over 9 months, and he definitely needs to see me less as he is managing his system much more efficiently.

Generally, the lower the heart rate the better the fitness, and my lowest number has been around 37, and I know Lance Armstrong and Tom Danielson hover around 30 when at their best, but how many "healthy" athletes have you seen or heard of that are on meds or have other serious health issues?  True health has many variables, and is much beyond just fitness; no one measurement in isolation will ever give you enough information to be completely accurate consistently.  Hope this helps.

PS: Dr. Phil's latest book is out, which is called the Big Book of Health and Fitness, and is a combination of a few of his previous books, all of which I own and started devouring over 20 years ago.  Check it out, all this info is in there also, and tons more of course.

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

Good posts.

I take my RHR everyday. I've noticed a few things:

--after real long hard workouts, the next day my RHR is 3-5 beats lower than normal.

--if I am not eating enough carbs, my RHR gets 4-5+ higher---like a fever or something

--when bordering on OT, it will stay high.

On days where it is 5-6 beats or more higher, I take it easy with rest or recovery run.

--Jimmy

Log    PRs