Low HR Training

Some questions about LHR training - help! (Read 372 times)

machinebaard

Hi all, I have some questions about low heart rate training, which i started some weeks ago. I like it very much Smile However, when i started training at MAF-10 to MAF, my pace was between 12 - 13 minutes a mile, but now it has become 13.5 - 14.5 minutes a mile. Also it looks likes it takes far more effort. I just don't get it. I am starting to feel a little miserable about this slowdown. It is even hard to keep the HR below MAF. Also I have this problem with some minor injuries, I have some pain in both knees that comes and goes Confused, sometimes pain in the ankles, achilles tendons, while i haven't increased my mileage very much.. nor my long run.. The pain in the knees is there in the beginning of the run, and then it disappears... but pain in the ankles comes after several miles and won't go away.. Pain is 3/4 on a scale from 1 to 10. The muscles don't hurt Smile 67 kg / 188cm / 18 yo / PR 25:50 on 5K , 58:53 on 10K, 6:40 on 1.5K So my questions are: 1 - Is this slowdown from 12-13 tot 13.5-14.5 normal? Will I get faster soon? Is something wrong Sad? 2 - Is it normal that it looks like you put more effort in it Sad? 3 - Is it normal that your knees/ankles/ whatever are a little sore? How long will this soreness last? Thanks Smile
    TJR

How are you determining you MAF? I found that when I was using 180 - age I was still having issues with injuries, etc. When I went with 180 - age - 5 (for being injured, etc.) things quickly improved for me. Maffentone encourages being conservative in your MAF calculation. When in doubt, go with a lower MAF.
      BeeRunB

When I first began MAF training I experienced a slowdown from the beginning paces a few weeks after starting. Why? I don't know really. My speculation is that my slow twitch fibers were exhausted from being used exclusively for the first time in their lives. The slowdown reversed itself after awhile. I also remember the legs feeling like they were hit with a sledgehammer. The speculation there is the same as above. New way of using the muscles. Make sure to include a 15 minute warm-up at the beginning of the run with either walking or a pace that gets you to MAF -15 or MAF -10 by the end of 15 minutes. Also, do at least 10-20 minutes cooldown walk after the run. --Jimmy

run-easy-race-hard

I agree with the responses above. And I have one thing to add. Did I catch that you are 18? This is definitely at the low end of where you can expect the formula to be useful for you. I would suggest running higher, but with your injury indications, I don't think that's what you want either. Did your injuries start when you started MAF training? Are you using 162 for MAF and saying that you are at about 14 min/mile at a HR of 162? If you just run a comfortable pace for a couple of miles, what is your heart rate range (on roughly flat ground)?
          machinebaard

Hi, yes the injuries started when i started MAF training Shocked. Yesterday i ran about 14 minute miles with a heart rate that struggled to keep below 162. I started running a year ago. My heartrate can be up to 180 and i still feel pleasant and i can talk etcetera, but i just don't want to run too hard,... with a rate between 175 and 180 I can run 10-11 minute miles. The time before MAF i trained with heart rates beween 170 and 180 on long and easy runs, and i had injuries only two times - one time the knees, that lasted a week, and one time the hip, but that was after a 400m sprint, and that injury lasted one month Sad The docter said to run trough it and eventuallly that worked, altough i had little confidence.. What should I do now Sad? Thanks

run-easy-race-hard

Hi, yes the injuries started when i started MAF training Shocked. Yesterday i ran about 14 minute miles with a heart rate that struggled to keep below 162. I started running a year ago. My heartrate can be up to 180 and i still feel pleasant and i can talk etcetera, but i just don't want to run too hard,... with a rate between 175 and 180 I can run 10-11 minute miles. The time before MAF i trained with heart rates beween 170 and 180 on long and easy runs, and i had injuries only two times - one time the knees, that lasted a week, and one time the hip, but that was after a 400m sprint, and that injury lasted one month Sad The docter said to run trough it and eventuallly that worked, altough i had little confidence.. What should I do now Sad? Thanks
              I think at age 18, you should just find a level of effort that feels very easy and stick with that for your basebuilding period. If you want to go by heart rate, then take note of your heart rate profile on the day of your longest run and use your average heart rate as a limit for your runs for a few weeks. See if things improve. If they don't improve, then target a lower heart rate. It does sound a bit strange that a heart rate of 160 is at such a pace, but it's not terribly surprising at 18. Did you read the FAQ?