Low HR Training

Vitamin D and Athletic Performance (Read 669 times)

BeeRunB

I was reading about this topic at Dr. Phil's page and did some further reading:

Dr. Phil's Sports Page

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/phys-ed-can-vitamin-d-improve-your-athletic-performance/

Enjoy.

--Jimmy

GMoney

Thanks, Jimmy.  My wife's Vitamin D levels were measured recently and were very low.  She was prescribed a supplement. We also removed virtually all refined sugars and grains from our diet. Her levels have rebounded nicely but are still low.  Her experience prompted me to start taking a daily shot of cod liver oil with breakfast (along with fish oil caps for additional Omega 3s).

The only thing I would caution is that sun cancer is still a real concern, and over-exposure to the sun is a leading risk factor for sun cancer.  This is not to sound an alarm or panic about the dangers of the sun. Just remember - as Dr. Phil's article points out - you want to avoid sun burn.  Burning is your body's natural way of telling you that you've had enough time in the sun and it's time to get under some shade.

BeeRunB

Thanks, Jimmy.  My wife's Vitamin D levels were measured recently and were very low.  She was prescribed a supplement. We also removed virtually all refined sugars and grains from our diet. Her levels have rebounded nicely but are still low.  Her experience prompted me to start taking a daily shot of cod liver oil with breakfast (along with fish oil caps for additional Omega 3s).

The only thing I would caution is that sun cancer is still a real concern, and over-exposure to the sun is a leading risk factor for sun cancer.  This is not to sound an alarm or panic about the dangers of the sun. Just remember - as Dr. Phil's article points out - you want to avoid sun burn.  Burning is your body's natural way of telling you that you've had enough time in the sun and it's time to get under some shade.

I do believe tans are counter-productive in this area as well. The darker your skin is or becomes the harder it is for the body to produce it with sunlight. What I've read so far, supplementation works just fine, but you have to make sure fat is present, as well as calcium and magnesium.

--Jimmy

C-R

I do believe tans are counter-productive in this area as well. The darker your skin is or becomes the harder it is for the body to produce it with sunlight. What I've read so far, supplementation works just fine, but you have to make sure fat is present, as well as calcium and magnesium.

--Jimmy

Whole milk and a vitamin supplement does the trick. I agree on the tans. Dangerous territory. I've come full circle since my youth, where I spent hours in the sun in Alabama playing golf and soccer without sunscreen. Nice tans but not a great idea for the long term. Keeping my fingers crossed on that.

There is a need to be careful when doing long runs. You can get quite toasted during a long run or marathon. Sunscreen is counter-productive for me as it holds in the heat, but I have tried sevral Bull Frog products that are athlete friendly.

Cod Liver oil shots. That's hard core. I would rather shoot tequilla but alas it does not provide any Vitamin D support. But enough of them and I see talking cows.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

I would rather shoot tequilla but alas it does not provide any Vitamin D support. But enough of them and I see talking cows.

LOL.

Someday, Grasshopper, you'll realize that you don't need booze to see talking cows.

--Jimmy

C-R

LOL.

Someday, Grasshopper, you'll realize that you don't need booze to see talking cows.

--Jimmy

So you've been to Chik-fil-A too?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

So you've been to Chik-fil-A too?

LOL.

Yes. But I haven't seen any talking cows there. Only me when I looked in the rest room mirror.

Resurrecting an old post...it's that time of year!  I was feeling a little beat up the last few weeks because muscle recovery was slower than usual for no good reason.  Stumbled upon some stuff about vitamin D's role in muscle function.  This sounds crazy, but after only a couple of days of supplementing, I feel WAY better Smile

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

BeeRunB

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been keeping up the past month.

npaden

Interesting.  They are requesting guinea pigs from our local running club to do a test on supplementing with vitamin D.

3 visits and 1-2 hours for the first 2 and 2-4 hours for the last one.  All you get out of it is some free treadmill time and they measure your body fat for you.

I didn't think it would be worth my time and effort just to get my body fat officially checked.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Interesting.  They are requesting guinea pigs from our local running club to do a test on supplementing with vitamin D.

3 visits and 1-2 hours for the first 2 and 2-4 hours for the last one.  All you get out of it is some free treadmill time and they measure your body fat for you.

I didn't think it would be worth my time and effort just to get my body fat officially checked.

Does sound like a lot of time for little reward.  Would be cool, though, if they would give you access to the data after they were done.  I can hardly believe how much faster muscle recovery is since starting 5,000 IU of vitamin D daily on Sunday.  As of last week, I was consistently 15-20 sec slower per mile at MAF on all of my normal routes vs 1 month ago.  Went to the track yesterday and 1st mile at MAF was 7:45 which is 15 seconds FASTER than 1 month ago.  Then did some 5k pace intervals at an unusually low HR (for me)...had to push :30/mile faster than 5k pace to get above LT.  Any given day can be a fluke, so I'll find out if it's real over the next few weeks.

Eric

Does sound like a lot of time for little reward.  Would be cool, though, if they would give you access to the data after they were done.  I can hardly believe how much faster muscle recovery is since starting 5,000 IU of vitamin D daily on Sunday.  As of last week, I was consistently 15-20 sec slower per mile at MAF on all of my normal routes vs 1 month ago.  Went to the track yesterday and 1st mile at MAF was 7:45 which is 15 seconds FASTER than 1 month ago.  Then did some 5k pace intervals at an unusually low HR (for me)...had to push :30/mile faster than 5k pace to get above LT.  Any given day can be a fluke, so I'll find out if it's real over the next few weeks.

unusually low HR actually doesn't sound like improvement to me if muscularly you can only hold the same pace as usual. if you had to push that much harder than 5k pace to even raise the HR past LT I think it sounds like some sort of heavy supercompensation so be sure to not overload your legs now. usually how hard do you need to go to get the HR up there? 5k pace and not faster?

of course if you mean that this 30secs faster than 5k pace felt the same for the leg muscles as usual 5k pace feels to you on other days then maybe it's not that but a big improvement instead heh.

also if your 7:45 MAF pace felt as easy as the 8:00 before and you didn't have a specially hard workout in the days before then that would be improvement yes. if it gets maintained, then for sure improvement Smile it may however be the result of your hard training and not three days of taking 15,000 IU of the vitamin total. it takes weeks-months to replenish the vitamin D stores.

also when I started supplementing with vitamin D, I didn't notice such sudden changes though it was indeed the first winter that I was able to train through normally without real issues (last winter). so maybe it helped. though maybe my training was different as well so I don't know which variable contributed what.

however this December (2013) I had muscle issues even though I'd been taking 8000 IU of vitamin D pretty regularly since end of October. so I believe this is more complex in my case.

tbh I can't even say that it's the result of simple overtraining because it works in a paradoxical way, less load timed wrong results in more tired muscles. so the conundrum goes on Smile

(things are fine now that I upped training load in a way, while also lowered it in another way so essentially changed structure of training.. I hope it'll be okay)

Hey cmon2, sorry, I wasn't very clear.  The faster MAF pace and interval pace didn't feel any harder than usual, but I'm not ready to call it an improvement yet.  I will say that I experienced a step change in my speed of recovery this week, whether due to vit D or something else.  You're probably right that it takes more time to fully replenish if I am deficient.  I hope that my recovery will keep getting better, because the training schedule staring at me is gonna get tough  

Eric

Hey cmon2, sorry, I wasn't very clear.  The faster MAF pace and interval pace didn't feel any harder than usual, but I'm not ready to call it an improvement yet.  I will say that I experienced a step change in my speed of recovery this week, whether due to vit D or something else.  You're probably right that it takes more time to fully replenish if I am deficient.  I hope that my recovery will keep getting better, because the training schedule staring at me is gonna get tough

I still think it's just your training that gives you results :P

I hope it's real improvement. Do let us know!! Smile

I still think it's just your training that gives you results :P

I hope it's real improvement. Do let us know!! Smile

I'm going to agree and disagree with you at the same time.  It's my training that give me results, but not if I can't recover quickly enough to keep up with my training load...vitamin D seemed to help with the recovery part Smile

Eric