Low HR Training

My HR training story (Read 438 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Hello! I am quite familiar with Jesse's writing on Cool Running and I've chatted with him here and there through emails Smile After talking to him I bought an HRM sometime last winter. I changed the way I ran my regular runs and I used it through my marathon training. I just wanted to tell you all that this is the best and safest way to condition your body. For so long I thought I had exercise induced asthma but what it boiled down to was that I had poor nutrition and ran too hard too often. I just did a 12 mile run and I cannot tell you how hard it was to get my heart rate to 75% of max! It was awesome. I am so much fitter and it's pretty neat because I don't run my normal runs that fast at all. In fact I just follow what my understanding of training physiology tells me. I think the coolest part is that I can run up hills at a decent pace and keep my HR below 80% of max (I just did the hill test out today). When I say hills I mean hills that are 300 ft+ in elevation gain over and continue to go up and up for about a mile long. I kept wondering "when is my heart rate going to go higher?" Big grin !!! Last year up this hill I was running at about my max tempo pace HR and barely being able to breathe. Now I know to slow down and let the heart go steady Smile and the only time I see that heart rate I saw last year is when I'm racing! Oh, the best part is that I keep PRing! Thanks Jesse!
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

run-easy-race-hard

Sounds like things are going fantastically for you, muse! It's amazing how one day you suddenly wonder how you can even have run a different way. By the way, your current weight and goal weight can easily be considered equal within the error bounds and variation of hydration for a runner! My daily weight fluctuates between 166 and 177, depending on when I check. Your difference is in the noise.
      muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Jesse!! Great to see you. I have a question for you. I need to find your homepage because I think I can easily access the answer to this quesiton there so I apologize in advance Smile My HR's are dropping. But I can still push my HR up quite a bit and it is way more tolerable than it used to be. What's the deal with that? That's question #1 Question #2 because my HR is lower, do I adjust for my max HR? that doesn't make sense to me... please help Smile btw: walking around my apt complex to the pool for a swim this morning my HR was 58
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Jesse, Yeah with regards to the weight... I should fix that because I pretty much fluctuate where 125 is the upperbound and 121.5 is the lower bound. Most days I see 123 and I don't weigh daily so that means "most days" when I do weigh myself. I would like to get to 119 comfortably. My real motivation is to be able to look good being NICE AND COOL (as in body temp) wearing a only sports bra and running shorts during a marathon. Right now, egghhhh no. Smile I am always so warm in CA running!

run-easy-race-hard

Hey Jesse!! Great to see you. I have a question for you. I need to find your homepage because I think I can easily access the answer to this quesiton there so I apologize in advance Smile My HR's are dropping. But I can still push my HR up quite a bit and it is way more tolerable than it used to be. What's the deal with that? That's question #1 Question #2 because my HR is lower, do I adjust for my max HR? that doesn't make sense to me... please help Smile btw: walking around my apt complex to the pool for a swim this morning my HR was 58
            Ok, first, the FAQ is at http://spaces.msn.com/members/formationflier/ Now, your question #1 is not really a question, it's more rhetorical Smile Nonetheless, that's exactly what's supposed to happen when everything "comes together" - don't complain about the good stuff! For question #2 - you don't need to make any adjustments, but you can likely tolerate more volume at a higher heart rate, if you so desire. I do that by running a lot of races! 58 is a great walking heart rate!