Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Mystery mountain marathon 6:07:20 unofficial. Mile 19 -21.5 was a  1500 ft climBlack eye walk).Started passing runners at mile16. Only 2 runners passed me. 1 at mile 19 and another at mile 23. Caught the female (23) at 25.5 miles Did not catch the male runner. He was a preparing  for the Florida Ironman.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Nice run, Oguz.. Breaking 41:00 is awesome. That time would land you top 3 (50-55 AG) in many races, and give you first in just as many. Now that we share an age group, I'll do my best to give you some competition! THough at the moment, you would be already driving home with a coffee and a muffin (mmmmm muffins) by the time I cross the finish line. About MAF hurting speed, it doesn't at all. That's because it is not about running slow at the same speed all the time, but about running faster and faster at the same HR! Looks like you are training well. Keep going!

--Jimmy

Thanks, Jimmy.

After many years of running, my training and my running philosophy has evolved into 'relaxed running' , a term I read in one of Joe Henderson's Running Commentary. I love running and want to run every day; I don't want to exchange my relaxed running days into workouts and feel miserable next day.  I ask this question of Henderson's to myself and answer yes; "Would I still run this way even if there were no racing payoff?" Being happy and healthy is my initial goal, if I earn some hardware so much the better. My motto being sustainable running into 5th decade.

Thanks for the input you provide for the forum which is some kind of reference book for me. If we ever compete in a real race together, who knows maybe you will finish your coffee and muffin before I finish.Smile      Oguz.

Wow, Cmon2, that was terrific.  Your 10K pace was just about the same as your previous 5k PR pace.  Nice going.  It is great to see how all your hard work over the past years has resulted in this.  Your recent jump in improvement has been interesting to see.  You commented that you mostly thought it had to do with your training, but resolving that iron issue must have played a big part too.

Congrats to you too, Oguz.  Very impressive 10K.  I was most impressed with the fact that you did this with training that was mostly at or below MAF. 

Thanks, run48. In the last 2 months, I just wanted to make sure that next day's run be safe with no aches. Also, I must add that my maf speed has progressed 10% in the last year from 10 km/hr to 11 km/hr. If I run 1 hr @ maf HR, I need a run of maf -15 or maf -20 the next day. I think I am beginning to feel my aerobic progression will lead me to a state where I will be able to make aerobic intervals of 10-15 min @ maf HR; a target I want to achieve. ( I think this is a training method advised by Mr. Maffetone.)

Roses Revenge

I'm continuing to observe HR without trying to change my training just yet.  For the Portland Marathon last Sunday, average HR was 126 and highest HR was 149.  Unofficial time was 6:58:20 and that included 6 or 7 minutes waiting for the train to get out of the way at Mile 25!  That's always a potential problem with this race, but the first time I've been stopped in the 6 times I've done the race.

I've been taking it easy this week - only a couple of short walks - and trying to figure out how I should taper for the 50K on the 29th.  Then I'll get serious about doing LHR training.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

I have been Maffing for a couple of months now. Started in July and just passed 900 km running all maff pace. Prior to that I have run on and off for the last 33 years. For no apparent reason I decided to do a race a couple of weeks ago and picked a local 10 k for this weekend. I finished in 40:48 ( chip time) a finished 23 out of 600 or so. 3 out of 33 in my age group but the two ahead of me placed in the masters category so I won my category.

I actually did one interval last Friday that lasted about 30 seconds to see if I could feel a 4 min/km pace. I could not so I gave up and just ran the rest of my run at Maf.

Kevin

BeeRunB

I have been Maffing for a couple of months now. Started in July and just passed 900 km running all maff pace. Prior to that I have run on and off for the last 33 years. For no apparent reason I decided to do a race a couple of weeks ago and picked a local 10 k for this weekend. I finished in 40:48 ( chip time) a finished 23 out of 600 or so. 3 out of 33 in my age group but the two ahead of me placed in the masters category so I won my category.

I actually did one interval last Friday that lasted about 30 seconds to see if I could feel a 4 min/km pace. I could not so I gave up and just ran the rest of my run at Maf.

Kevin

Congrats on the win, Kevin! 40:48 is blazing. Keep going!

--Jimmy

Congrats on the win, Kevin! 40:48 is blazing. Keep going!

--Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy

kevin

yeah, congrats! Smile

Wow, Cmon2, that was terrific.  Your 10K pace was just about the same as your previous 5k PR pace.  Nice going.  It is great to see how all your hard work over the past years has resulted in this.  Your recent jump in improvement has been interesting to see.  You commented that you mostly thought it had to do with your training, but resolving that iron issue must have played a big part too.

thanks (and thanks to everyone else)! Smile

I think the intervals really helped but you are right, before that I did have to resolve the iron issue, without that it wouldn't have worked out. Smile

zonykel

Ran the Santa Clarita Half Marathon today in 1:51:57. This was a PR for me, as my previous HM PR was 1:54:10 from nearly a year ago. Been doing MAF training almost exclusively for the last 3 months. I didn't do any speed work or tempo runs during this time.

My HR monitor strap was OK for MAF training, but when racing, it kept sliding down, so I got erratic and useless HR data, which is too bad. I'll need to adjust it.

It was raining for about the first hour or so of the race. I chose to wear a light rain jacket and and a permeable ball cap. Worked out OK, but I hadn't done a long training run in the rain since last year.

Here are my Garmin splits:

Mile 01: 9:15
                          Mile 02: 8:22
                          Mile 03: 8:39
                          Mile 04: 8:50
                          Mile 05: 8:20
                          Mile 06: 8:29
                          Mile 07: 8:56
                          Mile 08: 8:50
                          Mile 09: 9:00
                          Mile 10: 8:11
                          Mile 11: 7:51
                          Mile 12: 7:37
                          Mile 13: 8:10
                          0.23 mi: 1:49

BeeRunB

Congrats on the PR, Zonk!

Nice looking splits. Keep going!

--Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats on the PR, Zonk!

Nice looking splits. Keep going!

--Jimmy

+1.You appear to have had more gas in the tank.Great finish.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/2011/11/dizzy-fifties-50k-2011.html

Dizzy fifties 50k. PR for 50K trail race. 6:07:10. New early on the body was not going to  run <11 minute paces.Nice and well keep trail.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter