Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7709 times)

I know we have at least 2 marathons coming up this weekend for folks who post in this forum... Docster: 2/16, Myrtle Beach Chrisfield: 2/17, Austin Good luck!

Master of Inconsistency

Good Idea Ace , Run strong guys, hope everything goes as planned. Good Luck , Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Thanks Ace and Greg! Today's run: 26 degrees, wind calm. 4.34M@8:18 -- AHR 140 I feel great. Aerobically I have never been stronger. The weather is looking very good for Saturday. All signs are go! Big grin
          No run today. I was going to do an easy 3 on the treadmill, but decided the extra sleep would every bit as beneficial. I had run 10 days in a row anyway, so my guilt level is low. Smile Tomorrow's run: Where? Myrtle Beach, SC When? 6:30 a.m. (great sunrise when running if it's not cloudy) Distance: 26.2 miles Temperature: Predicted for 47 at start and 54 at finish. I can't ask for anything more than that! Goal time: 3:15 (BQ) Stretch goal time: 3:12 I have never been more ready for a race, which is causing as much anxiety as anything else. I'm more anxious just to get running to be honest. When I'm at the starting line, I'm usually very calm and ready to enjoy a good hard run, and let my preparation take over. Smile I'll report back on Sunday with hopefully good news!
            No run today. I was going to do an easy 3 on the treadmill, but decided the extra sleep would every bit as beneficial. I had run 10 days in a row anyway, so my guilt level is low. Smile Tomorrow's run: Where? Myrtle Beach, SC When? 6:30 a.m. (great sunrise when running if it's not cloudy) Distance: 26.2 miles Temperature: Predicted for 47 at start and 54 at finish. I can't ask for anything more than that! Goal time: 3:15 (BQ) Stretch goal time: 3:12 I have never been more ready for a race, which is causing as much anxiety as anything else. I'm more anxious just to get running to be honest. When I'm at the starting line, I'm usually very calm and ready to enjoy a good hard run, and let my preparation take over. Smile I'll report back on Sunday with hopefully good news!
            It's always good when the weather works out. I am looking forward to Sunday's report. Most importantly, have fun tomorrow.

run-easy-race-hard

Ran the Greenbelt Washington's birthday marathon today. I just decided to run this three days ago when it became apparent that it wouldn't be 20 degree with 20-30 mph winds for the first time. It was 43 out and no higher than 10 mph winds, the best this race will ever have. Yet, I was still 2 minutes slower than last year. Clearly I wasn't motivated to hold a painful pace because my avg HR was 166, 6 beats lower than my peak marathon HR of 172. Just like in the Baltimore marathon, my GPS crapped out late in the race, today around mile 18, then permanently at 20. Both times when this has happened, without seeing my pace, I lost my motivation to endure the pain. I think my fitness was actually a bit better this year than last, but there were a couple of factors. First, I did run a 20 miler (MAF - 9 avg) yesterday, just to make sure I was up for a long run, being 2 weeks off of my 84 mile stint at Rocky Raccoon. Didn't feel fatigued, but probably was a factor, although I have done well in marathons the day after 20 several times before. Second, without as much painful cold and wind today, I was actually quite comfortable and I didn't have quite the motivation as I did last year to get the race done with. Finished in 3:25 today, my worst marathon in over a year (not including one where I paced a friend). Last year, my 3:23 was good enough for 9th place overall, which gave an indication for how much this race broke everyone down. There were definitely better times today, but I don't know what the breakdown was. Still, this is usually my tune-up race for the year being the first hard effort (and only after about 7 weeks of training since a good off-period). Let's see how the March races go.
                Ran the Greenbelt Washington's birthday marathon today. I just decided to run this three days ago when it became apparent that it wouldn't be 20 degree with 20-30 mph winds for the first time. It was 43 out and no higher than 10 mph winds, the best this race will ever have. Yet, I was still 2 minutes slower than last year. Clearly I wasn't motivated to hold a painful pace because my avg HR was 166, 6 beats lower than my peak marathon HR of 172. Just like in the Baltimore marathon, my GPS crapped out late in the race, today around mile 18, then permanently at 20. Both times when this has happened, without seeing my pace, I lost my motivation to endure the pain. I think my fitness was actually a bit better this year than last, but there were a couple of factors. First, I did run a 20 miler (MAF - 9 avg) yesterday, just to make sure I was up for a long run, being 2 weeks off of my 84 mile stint at Rocky Raccoon. Didn't feel fatigued, but probably was a factor, although I have done well in marathons the day after 20 several times before. Second, without as much painful cold and wind today, I was actually quite comfortable and I didn't have quite the motivation as I did last year to get the race done with. Finished in 3:25 today, my worst marathon in over a year (not including one where I paced a friend). Last year, my 3:23 was good enough for 9th place overall, which gave an indication for how much this race broke everyone down. There were definitely better times today, but I don't know what the breakdown was. Still, this is usually my tune-up race for the year being the first hard effort (and only after about 7 weeks of training since a good off-period). Let's see how the March races go.
                My GPS crapping out- that would be my worst nightmare! What races are you doing in March?

run-easy-race-hard

March is always a crowded month: B&A trail marathon, Lower Potomac River Marathon, and HAT run 50k. Then a lot in April as well, with Boston Marathon, Bull Run Run 50 miler, and probably a 10k race.
                    One thing I like about your race reports is that even when they aren't "great" races (by your standards!), you have a great outlook and don't get down on yourself. Although I do a lot of 10/20 or 12/20 training runs on the weekends, I can't really grasp doing a 20 miler and then RACING a marathon the next day. That's something entirely foreign to me, and likely will be for a long time. Smile

run-easy-race-hard

Haha, yeah, no doubt if I got discouraged from a bad race or even two or three in a row, I'd be sitting on my rear on the couch a lot! I really don't have target races anymore - I run each for a new learning experience. The only thing that would disappoint me is if I didn't learn something to adjust for next time.

run-easy-race-hard

I just ran my speed and hill repeat workout for the year, the Maryland RRCA 10 mile challenge race. I'm not much for these short races because of the pain involved, but I need to get these in occasionally. This is a very hilly course, one of the toughest 10 mile road races you'll find that's not running up a mountain. I last ran this 2 years ago in 71:01, so I mainly wanted to beat that time, but it was important also to break 70 minutes, especially since I've beaten that at the ten mile split of several marathons. This race is particularly tough because the first half is a mostly steady downhill and the second half is a mostly steady uphill; not my favorite type of race profile to say the least. First 5 miles were a good bit under 7, with a 6:20 for the first. Then when I hit the nasty hills in the second half, I started losing my banked time, with several 7 plus. Near the end of mile 8, I realized that I was losing ground on my sub-7 pace, so I decided to kick things up a notch and run with HR in the 180s, accepting running pain I haven't experienced in a few years. I threw the hammer down for the last mile and ran it in about 6:35, after 4 7+ splits, coming in at 69:28. Here's the motionbased output for those that want to see the heart rate profile: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5033941

Master of Inconsistency

Nice job Jesse, you showed a lot of( Heart) out there ! Big grin Congrats on yet another amazing run ! , Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Good job Jesse, impressive as always. Yesterday i ran the Cowtown Marathon in hopes of easing the painful memory from my 4:42 in my first marathon (San Antonio). I didn't choose the easiest course but I accomplished everything I set out to. Good nutrition plan, sub 4, and feel better afterwards. End result: 3:59:18/3:57:42 Intervals, splits, and heart rate info are in my log. I was warned about the hills but still, miles 24 - 26 are a terrible place to but the biggest hills. At one point I thought to myself: "people do this for fun?" I didn't walk but only because I knew it would just make the climb take longer. You can check out the elevation chart at the link below. http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/tx/fort-worth/183946212 Edited because of silly spelling mistakes.
                            jimmyb

I was on the winning team today in the masters division at The Hyannis Half Marathon! And I was just doing a marathon race pace tempo run (10 of 13 at MRP). my post That's a first. team results --Jimmy

Log    PRs

run-easy-race-hard

Good job Jesse, impressive as always. Yesterday i ran the Cowtown Marathon in hopes of easing the painful memory from my 4:42 in my first marathon (San Antonio). I didn't choose the easiest course but I accomplished everything I set out to. Good nutrition plan, sub 4, and feel better afterwards. End result: 3:59:18/3:57:42 Intervals, splits, and heart rate info are in my log. I was warned about the hills but still, miles 24 - 26 are a terrible place to but the biggest hills. At one point I thought to myself: "people do this for fun?" I didn't walk but only because I knew it would just make the climb take longer. You can check out the elevation chart at the link below. http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/tx/fort-worth/183946212
                                Now that's spectacular. I do remember the feeling of finally breaking 4 hours! There was a time when I never thought it would happen (and that really wasn't all that long ago).