Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7713 times)

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Outstanding races formationflier, CarmelRunner, Cheevers, and Hank !!!! Nice reportage..it's fun to read these successful testimonials to LHR/MAF training. re walking on water..legions have seemingly concluded that Obama possesses the capability.. Roll eyes LG1 That's my pace, floating downstream, per usual.. Cool
    ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
    Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
    ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
      Today I ran the Cincinnati Heart Mini-Marathon 15k race. My team uses this as a Tune Up for the Flying Pig. My goal today was to run 10:00 miles through the first half or so, then start picking up the pace. The weather was fairly warm 45 F, but overcast and windy. The race started right at 10 AM, and I was running with two of my team members. It is a rolling course, with a good hill during the first mile, a very steep hill at about mile 6, and then another at about mile 8. I felt very good during the entire race. My friend Amye, a much more experienced runner, was supposed to be holding me back if needed. Lets just say she didn't do a great job, but that's ok. The first few miles went by easily, and we were under 10's. At the turn, around 4.5 or so, we still felt good. We were having fun watching for and cheering on our teammates. The half mile before the turn is a slight downhill, so after the turn it's another half mile back up hill. Then, we hit the downhill back to the most severe hill, Torrence. Torrence is a steep hill, about 90 feet of elevation (if I read it correctly) in .15 miles. My heart rate hit about 179 (max for the run) on that hill. It was tough, but I didn't have to walk any of it, which I consider one little victory. At the turn on Torrence, we of course got to run down that same hill. It was good for a quick recovery, and for me is the mental half way point. I had to take a quick bio-break during mile 6 and really pushed to catch up to my friends. My pace was down to an 8:17 to make it back to them. Let me tell you 8:17 is TOO fast for me. I slowed a little on the last hill, to make sure that I had enough in me to make a good push to the end. From the top of the hill to the finish was a constant, but slow, acceleration. Down the hill was easy, the last .3 or .4 to the finish are flat. I made a conscienecious effort to pick up the pace. I also made sure to run in front of our team sponsor's (Fleet Feet of Cincinnati) tent. They like to see us. The final four tenths (my Garmin recorded 9.4 miles) was run in 3:11.05 Avg 8:01 Pace, with a speed range from 7.5 mph to 10.6 mph. Overall, I am very happy with the performance. It was much easier than last year. Of course, last year at this point my training had only taken me to 8 miles. This year, I've run a 20. I think, following this performance, I am fully capable of a sub 4:30 first marathon. My Avg pace, per my Garmin, was a 9:24. Average HR was 160 with a max of 179. I've posted my splits below. Oh, and BTW, I ended up with a negative split for the course. Mile 1: 9:10 Avg HR: 158 Max HR: 170 Mile 2: 10:17 Avg HR: 159 Max HR: 172 Mile 3: 9:51 Avg HR: 154 Max HR: 164 Mile 4: 9:38 Avg HR: 161 Max HR: 170 Mile 5: 9:21 Avg HR: 161 Max HR: 168 Mile 6: 9:39 Avg HR: 160 Max HR: 172 Mile 7: 9:17 Avg HR: 166 Max HR: 179 Mile 8: 8:52 Avg HR: 160 Max HR: 176 Mile 9: 9:08 Avg HR: 162 Max HR: 172 Mile 10: 3:11 Avg HR: 168 Max HR: 175 (.4 Miles) Garmin Time: 1:28:28 Official Time: 1:29:07 - An almost 3 minute PR over last year, on my 37th Birthday!

run-easy-race-hard

nicely done, cfkid! Do you think you overhydrated or were you just nervous?

Master of Inconsistency

Great Job weekend racers ! Fun to read all the success stories ! Hank you are kicking ass ! Mark, Great job on the PR ! Jesse & Carmel nice work and great Race reports. Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

nicely done, cfkid! Do you think you overhydrated or were you just nervous?
            I would guess that it was over hydration. I had been drinking alot for the past couple of days, plus had about 12 oz of OJ at 6 AM. On the course, I had another two 4-6 ounce glasses. But, still I'm ok with that. I'd rather take the hit for too much hydration than the performance hit for dehydration.
            lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

CfKid, Thanks for the great race report. You really did a sensational job. Congrats on the PR !! Happy B-day! This weekend has been a real bonanza of powerful performances. I'm gonna have to try a race one of these days. Sounds like great fun! LG1
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                well done cfkid

Just running for the fun of it!

jimmyb

Great race, Mark. Thanks for the report. You are really coming along. Keep going! --Jimmy

Log    PRs

Shiksa

Aerobigal! (thx Jimmy!)

Wow wow!! What a weekend for racers! Great job Hank, Cfkid, Jesse, and Carmel! You are all amazing. Thank you for the race reports. I arrived in Napa a few days early. I refrained from drinking wine the day before the race. Smile On race day it was about 42-45 degrees. Cold for me! I woke up early, had one glass of water, one of coffee, and two cheese sticks 3 hours prior to race time. At race time, I started verrrry slowly knowing I had 2 miles of uphill to do. I was definitely near the end of the pack. At one point, I'm sure I was last. About 1/2 a mile into it, I could hear people all around me gasping for air. Some were already walking/hiking. One girl said, "This is way harder than I thought it would be." It was a lot of single track so it was difficult to pass people. I decided to just hang back and not sweat it. I expected about 800 feet of elevation over 2 miles. um...no... After two miles, I got ready for some downhill.....NOT! By 3 miles, we were still going uphill and some little downhill sections here and there. I got lapped by some pretty intense 10K'ers that made me giggle a little. By mile 4, I looked at my Garmin and thought, "crap...it's already been 1 hour!" Right then, we had some pretty intense downhills. I loved this part! I've always been a fan of downhill trails. I feel very comfortable stream crossing and rock hopping. So, I sped up a lot! I was happy to see some 7:30 and 8:30/mile pace. I was expecting 2+ miles, and before I knew it, I was at the start again and ready for my 2nd loop. I was shocked. My garmin said 5.34 miles. I drank a cup of watery gatorade and thanked the volunteer and started again. My thought was "thank God this race is short." LOL! Loop 2 was harder. I started it out with a really cool guy named Rick. He was 72. He had ran 100 marathons (in 29 years!) and was working on 100 1/2 marathons. This one was #64. He planned to run one per month and would finish in 2011. Amazing! We ran/hiked together for quite some time. I hiked most of the uphills this loop. I didn't even try running uphill for most of it. I felt great! I couldn't have pushed much more, but didn't slack either. I just stayed as steady as I possibly could. By mile 7, I drank my first swig from my water bottle. I had been training without water or GU. I didn't need it. That felt great too. At about mile 8, I told Rick I was going to start running again. We crested a hill at that point. He wished me well and then fell down! I stayed for a minute or so to make sure he was ok. He assured me he was fine and encouraged me to go on. I knew I only had a bit more to go, so I turned on what little speed I had. Once the downhill started again, I saw a lot of hobbling from people. I was really excited that all my downhill training had paid off. I had worn my knee brace just to be on the safe side, but my knees were holding up beautifully. I had no pain, and nearly no weakness in my thighs from overexertion. I think some were finding the downhill really difficult. I know from hiking, that intense downhills are as difficult as uphills. I am sorry I didn't practice more uphills, but I'm not sure it would have made a difference on this race for me. When I knew I had about a mile or so left, I sprinted as much as I could. I slowed down when I need to. I felt like I still had a lot of gas left in the tank. I passed a woman who looked like she was having a bad leg cramp. I asked her if she was ok and if I could do anything to help. She said she was ok. I also passed a man who looked really bad. I asked him if he was ok. He said he was out of water. I offered him mine, but he would not take it. I tried! I turned the last corner and saw my husband, the kids, my BIL, his wife, and my nieces. I shouted hello to them and they all started cheering and jumping up and down. It was so sweet! I finished strong and energetic at 2:27:10. My goal time was 2:30 for this course. Yay me! This was, hands down, the hardest run I've EVER been on. I was so proud of the way I felt then, and feel today. I know I trained in a very healthy way. It looks like in my age group, I was 10 out of 19. I can live with that. I really think trail running is my niche. I just loved every minute of it. I did my best to cheer people up on the trail. Some of them just looked so miserable. It was tough! I think anyone who finished what they signed up for deserves applause. After I ate handfulls and handfulls of food, I got very cold. My husband said my lips were blue. I drank about 1/2 gallon of watery gatorade and headed to the car for my clothes. My HR was really high during this race. It ran between 150 and 180. I found myself trying to interpret whether or not that meant my training had been good or bad. I finally gave trying to figure it out. I do know that feel wonderful today, and I felt wonderfuly yesterday. I also felt really strong the entire time on the trail. Never once did I feel like stopping or did I feel miserable like I did in the past. So, I don't know if I blew it or not. I had fun. I know that! I'm going to read some sections in the Maffetone book again, and slow down for another month. I don't have anything planned again until Fall.
                    Stacy
                    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://stacyruns.wordpress.com/
                    lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Shiksa, What a phenomenal race. Congratulations! Thank you for the entertaining report. Sounds like you took on a gnarly monster and came out victorious. I can't imagine how difficult that type of course must be. I'd likely be sideways in a ravine somewhere gasping for air shortly after the start. Sounds like you exited the race in great condition, and that age group placement and time are a wonderful accomplishment. Well done !! A real corker. LG1
                      C-R

Way to go Stacy! I enjoyed the report and it makes me want to return to Napa for a run instead of the usual taste testing treks. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I ran a tune up half-marathon for Boston yesterday (The Suffolk County Half-Marathon). It is a boring course that is run on a divided four lane highway up and down it. There are basically no flat sections, but no big hills basically rolling 30-60ft hills going over overpasses etc. It was pretty cold and breezy for this time of year (25-30F), but bright sunshine so though being very cold got a sunburn on the few parts that weren't covered up. Ran 3.6 mile warm up before the race finishing about 20 minutes before the start. Then walked over to the starting line. The plan for the race was to run the 1st 10 miles at what I think would be my average HR for a marathon (163) and then at the 10 mile mark pick it up (go almost all out). The mile markers for this race were kind of screwy since there was a 5k race going on at the same time that started behind us, but the mile markers were the same?? So the 1st 4 miles were all over the place and wrong. However, by mile 10 I manager to run 7:15/mile pace @ AHR 161.5 and it basically felt like a jog. I was itching for the 10th mile to come. I felt kind of sorry for all of the people I was running with for 10 miles but.... I picked it up to faster than tempo pace but not quite 5k pace I think maybe 8-10k pace. I was comfortable, but since the last 1.5 miles was into the wind and uphill (not Boston uphill, but uphill) I didn't go all out. So I ran the last 5k+ (5004m) in 6:35/mile @ AHR 173, which is actually only 5 seconds per mile away from my 5k PR. So I was pretty happy with that. It was nice passing 20-30 people in the end also. Final time was 1:33:00, or 7:06/mile. Overall AHR 164 for the HM. Finished it off with a 3.33 mile cooldown to make it 20+ miles for the day and the last long day before Boston. It definitely was a confidence booster, but it was a weird way to run a HM, and I probably could have run faster if more even pacing (i.e. run @ AHR of 167-168 the whole way). For this race I actually tried to do the first 4 miles in 160, the the next couple in 162 and the next couple in 163/164, which worked well. Tried out shoes I might race Boston in and they were good. Nice and light, but good support. I still stink at drink water out of a cup on the run, but the water stops at this race were horrible. They had maybe 1 oz of water in the cups and they were right at the mile markers, so if you wanted to get water you would miss pressing your watch. And also in mile 8 when I went to take a Gel, I dropped up so had to stop turn around and pick it up so that probably cost me 4-5 seconds. So for Boston I think I'll follow the same plan but just extend it. Go 160 for 5-6 miles, 162 for the next 6, 163-164 until top of Heartbreak and then see how I feel the last 10k. If I feel good maybe let it go up to 166/167 for the next 5k, then the last 5k who knows.....
                          lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

dcv2002, Me too..that is to say, i'd go about it in a similar fashion, if it was'nt for the fact that i'm a perpetual 13 m/m maffer. Seriously, congratulations on a well run tune up! If i'm reading your bio correctly, you appear to be on the threshold of a sub 3 mary. From my perspective it isn't a question of if, but of when. Nice strateegeery !! Best in Beantown. LG1
                              dcv2002, Me too..that is to say, i'd go about it in a similar fashion, if it was'nt for the fact that i'm a perpetual 13 m/m maffer. Seriously, congratulations on a well run tune up! If i'm reading your bio correctly, you appear to be on the threshold of a sub 3 mary. From my perspective it isn't a question of if, but of when. Nice strateegeery !! Best in Beantown. LG1
                              I hoping for sub-3 in the fall. For Boston, I still have no clue maybe sub-3:10..
                              jimmyb

Awesome race and report, Stacy. That's a great time for a trail half-marathon. Keep going! --Jimmy

Log    PRs