Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7711 times)

May 4th is a bit like the Super Tuesday primary day for Runningahead LHR-ers (Super Sunday, I guess). We have at least 4 here running marathons that day... GregL: New Jersey Marathon formationflier: Frederick Marathon CfKid: Flying Pig Marathon Ace8: Flying Pig Marathon I think JimmyB is running Long Island that day. Jimmy, can you confirm or am I losing my mind? Anyone else?
      So, Ace, you're officially back in the running. That's great. I sure hope we get a cold front next week. If not, this heat is going to kill me and my time.
      jimmyb

I think JimmyB is running Long Island that day. Jimmy, can you confirm or am I losing my mind?
        You are losing your mind. Enjoy it! Cool My goal race is Vermont City Marathon in Burlington on May 25th. Good luck on May 4th. May you run like a flying pig (the fast kind of porker that is self-aware and completely terrified of becoming canned ham). --Jimmy

Log    PRs

run-easy-race-hard

We were able to meet up with Jesse in Boston, and I showed him the best technique for reheating leftover cheseburgers & fries.
          For those that were not able to infer, that's with a hair dryer.
            So, Ace, you're officially back in the running. That's great. I sure hope we get a cold front next week. If not, this heat is going to kill me and my time.
            I have not signed up, but everything looks good. My parents are coming into town to watch our kids-my wife will be on the course as a coach. My injury seems to be 99% gone- I'm not even icing after runs anymore. I am good enough shape to finish, although it may be slow and it may get ugly. Last night was my first run in the hotter temps, and I know what you mean. My wife says not to stress about it- how hot could it be at 6:30 AM when the race starts? She's probably right, we'll at least get 2.5 hours of cooler weather that morning. Also, if we run in the hotter temps the next week and a half, our bodies will acclimate somewhat and it won't be as big of a shock to our systems on race day. I am probably going to do a training run or 2 in the hottest part of the day just to get ready for the last hour of the marathon in case it gets warm.
              May 4th is a bit like the Super Tuesday primary day for Runningahead LHR-ers (Super Sunday, I guess). We have at least 4 here running marathons that day... GregL: New Jersey Marathon formationflier: Frederick Marathon CfKid: Flying Pig Marathon Ace8: Flying Pig Marathon I think JimmyB is running Long Island that day. Jimmy, can you confirm or am I losing my mind? Anyone else?
              Update to Super Sunday: gregw: Frederick Marathon
                There is a 50/50 chance I might be running the Long Island Half Marathon on Sunday 5/4. We'll see how I recover from Boston. I like to run this race as its one of the two big races on Long Island. (The other is the Great Cow Harbor 10k on the 3rd Saturday in September). It's not a marathon, but its half of one Smile
                  Running the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon on Sunday. Really wish I would have discovered this site earlier and gotten serious about LHR training several months ago. Hoping to learn a few things and train much more seriously for my next marathon.
                    Good luck on your upcoming races. Smile Well, I'm doing a mini RR for my wife. Smile Place/Race: Nashville Country Music Marathon Goal: Run the entire race Pacer: ME! Time Goal: Sub 4:15 at worst. Pace Goal: 4:08 CHIP TIME: 4:08:53 This is my wife's 2nd attempt at a marathon. Her first was at the Twin Cities marathon last fall, which was brutally hot, but she pulled up at 17 miles due to an injury. (hip alignment issue...) Anyway, we were back for revenge. Smile Race temps: Um...not sure, actually. Low 50's and overcast/rainy at the start. Probably mid to upper 60's at finish. All in all the weather was pretty good. My wife also does "MAF" training, and she peaked at 50 mpw for this race, on mostly 5 days a week training. We really wanted her to get to the line healthy, and the extra rest day was good for her, both physically and mentally. This race has 30K people, with a corraled start. 25K of them are half marathners...ugh. The corraled start helps spread people out a bit, but it's still very busy for the entire first half. As for the course, it's not flat. Not any terrible climbs, but a lot of up and down. More than I recall from last year! We went out in 2:02:45 ish. Her HR was great, and well within range. (based on a 90% effort half marathon recently) Everything was great, until the 2nd half of the marathon....meaning the last 10K of course. Tongue The pounding of the hills lack of higher mileage took it's toll, and the pace slowed 20 to 25 seconds, but that's about it. She hit her low at 22/23, then rebounded nicely. It warmed up noticeably the last 4 to 5 miles (it did last year as well). It was never "hot" but it never helps, especially with a first marathon. Big grin Time: 4:08:53 (with a quick restroom stop around mile 12/13) Pace: 9:30 Our training runs were around 10:25 to 10:40 depending on temps and distance. (some decent hills on most training longs, except for long runs) We did almost no speedwork aside from a few miles at marathon pace later on in training. Again, starting the race healthy was our main goal. This training obviously helps that. All in all it was a great race. Her AVG HR was ~162. (MAF of 141) We both feel that her HR was well under control, but she just needs more mileage and strenghening for the last few miles. She is very sore today. Smile Heck, I'm a bit sore today. That course is harder than I remember I tell ya. Tongue Anyway, I wanted to post her training paces/mileage/times here as a reference, and because I'm quite proud of her accomplishment, especially for sticking with it after battling a few nagging issues over the past year.
                      Doc- your wife did great. Only losing 20-25 seconds/mile the last 10k is pretty good, I've seen way worse the past few weeks from plenty of experienced marathoners. I have a friend who ran in Nashville as well. He PR-ed by a ton (almost 20 minutes, I think), but missed out on his BQ by less than a minute. Cry . I have another friend who broke 3 hours for the first time at the KY Derby marathon this weekend Smile My training peaked at 47 miles, so your race report from Nashville has me wondering what I have gotten myself into. I really have not been sore from any training run thus far, and was hoping the marathon would not tear me up too much. I have done more higher intensity stuff than your wife and lots of hills lately, so maybe the faster marathon pace won't get me as much. However, your wife is probably better aerobically trained so I may lose more time at the end. May I ask how many 20+ milers your wife did in training? Congratulations to you both.
                      C-R

Indy Mini this weekend. Since I'm still in base building, this will be a training run and not a race. My times have reduced a little since starting so I am shooting for a 2:05 whilst keeping my HR at my MAF (138). Just out of curiosity - what would be my base building effect if I moved my HR to 143 (MAF +5) for this one. Do I cause an issue with my base building like setting it back another few weeks? My real goal is a fall marathon and I will be building base at least until July or August so I have plenty of time. Curious of others thoughts on this.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Doc- your wife did great. Only losing 20-25 seconds/mile the last 10k is pretty good, I've seen way worse the past few weeks from plenty of experienced marathoners. I have a friend who ran in Nashville as well. He PR-ed by a ton (almost 20 minutes, I think), but missed out on his BQ by less than a minute. Cry . I have another friend who broke 3 hours for the first time at the KY Derby marathon this weekend Smile My training peaked at 47 miles, so your race report from Nashville has me wondering what I have gotten myself into. I really have not been sore from any training run thus far, and was hoping the marathon would not tear me up too much. I have done more higher intensity stuff than your wife and lots of hills lately, so maybe the faster marathon pace won't get me as much. However, your wife is probably better aerobically trained so I may lose more time at the end. May I ask how many 20+ milers your wife did in training? Congratulations to you both.
                          Thanks Ace! Smile We did 18, 20, 21, and 16. The 16 miler was 2 weeks out, and we did the last 4 miles at goal marathon pace. I agree that the lack of much harder running beat her legs up as much as the hills did, or at least contributed a fair bit. I think her 2 biggest weeks mileage wise were 47 and ~50. Best of luck on your race!
                          jimmyb

Good luck on your upcoming races. Smile Well, I'm doing a mini RR for my wife. Smile Place/Race: Nashville Country Music Marathon Goal: Run the entire race Pacer: ME! Time Goal: Sub 4:15 at worst. Pace Goal: 4:08 CHIP TIME: 4:08:53
                            Tell your wife I said congratulations, Doc. finishing your first is an AWESOME accomplishment! Only 25 seconds of slowing is hardly anything (compared to my first), and not what I would call hitting the wall. The slowing was probably more mental than physical, as it takes a few marathons to learn that. Her training did her well. So on top of finishing, she should be proud of her time performance as well. Bravo. --Jimmy P.S. My first marathon (Cape Cod '04): Mile 14...8:32 Mile 26...12:58 Mile 26.21...2:43 (12:56 pace--I sprinted)

Log    PRs

My training peaked at 47 miles, so your race report from Nashville has me wondering what I have gotten myself into.
                              I'm wondering the same here. I'm hoping that my slower but steady pace let's me make it all the way through at a consistent pace. We'll see very soon!
                                I'm wondering the same here. I'm hoping that my slower but steady pace let's me make it all the way through at a consistent pace. We'll see very soon!
                                My wife reminded me that she finished 3 marathons with max weeks in the 30s, and BQed twice with max weeks in the low 40s. She's only run more miles than me twice out of seven marathons. Her only significant slowdown was her 2nd marathon when she figured out the evils of high heartrate training every run. So, our last 10k may or may not be as smooth as someone with a 70-mile base. No big deal. I just don't want to be crippled for a week and have to confess to my employer that I have been training for a marathon and that's the reason I don't work 7 AM - 9 PM every day.