Low HR Training

Low VO2 and LHR Training (Read 357 times)

I recently took a VO2 max test, March, and the results indicated that my Max VO2 was 36.6. MAF HR is 142 as indicated by the test. With such a low VO2, should I continue with MAF training and add some VO2 work? What would the best recommended training? My fear is that I do not create enough turnover to improve my VO2 overtime, (cause I am slow), meaning it will take years not months to show improvement. I know Jesse received a 10% bump in his VO2 from LHR but I also beleive that he had built a strong Anaerobic base before starting MAF training, and showed better pace improvements over time helping build his base. Since I do not have strong anaerobic or aerobic system, I would like to know what would be the best direction for a middle aged couch potatoe during the first real year of training? Started MAF training 3.12.2008 Some races that I am working for: The Crim - 10 Miles August 23, 2008 Grand Rapids Half Marathon - October 19, 2008 Long Term: A Marathon in 2009. Thankyou for reading John
      Lower intesity work will help your VO2max, not higher intesity. When you see VO2max workouts in training schedules, the thought is to get some training in around that level to exercise the fast twitch muscles, NOT necessarily to improve your VO2max. VO2max is an indicator of your body's ability to use oxygen, as in aerobic capacity/fat burning. As your aerobic system becomes more efficient, your VO2max will increase. This is the first link I found when I googled VO2max- I think is helpful. http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html
      RER

I recently took a VO2 max test, March, and the results indicated that my Max VO2 was 36.6. MAF HR is 142 as indicated by the test. With such a low VO2, should I continue with MAF training and add some VO2 work? What would the best recommended training? My fear is that I do not create enough turnover to improve my VO2 overtime, (cause I am slow), meaning it will take years not months to show improvement. I know Jesse received a 10% bump in his VO2 from LHR but I also beleive that he had built a strong Anaerobic base before starting MAF training, and showed better pace improvements over time helping build his base. Since I do not have strong anaerobic or aerobic system, I would like to know what would be the best direction for a middle aged couch potatoe during the first real year of training? First, build a great aerobic base. I wonder how they/you concluded that your MAF HR is 142 based on the test? VO2max is quite overrated.
          To correct myself, experts such as Pfitzinger say that you can increase your VO2 max by running at 95% or so of your VO2Max pace/HR. However, if you have a poorly developed aerobic system, I doubt running at 95% of your VO2max will do much. This is where the tube of toothpaste anology comes in- wait until you are done progressing at a lower level before you move to a higher level. Seeing your goals for long distances (10 mile, half marathon, marathon), having an anaerobic base and anaerobic speed should be low on the list of priorities. You will be at or under your lactate threshold in those races, so it makes more sense to concentrate on the aerobic side. Faster running can still be important for running economy and to help maintain good running form. You can get away with strides or downhill running during your aerobic base building period, as those activities will allow some speed without sending your HR through the roof.
            Ace, Thanks for the info on VO2. I think if I ran at 95% VO2 I would puke and/or die. From my perception, faster runners at MAF HR seam to have significantly higher VO2 than what I have. Was curious if I could improve this if I could increase my MAF Pace. RER, My MAF numbers was picked from the RQ tables. First instance of an RQ 0.85 = 132 last instance was at 142 where it rose quickly to 20% Fat/80% Carb at 155 and to 1 AT of 161. MAF predicted by the formula would be (180-36) = 144. So it was pretty close. Why is VO2 overated if all well performing atheletes can utilize oxygen at twice the rate as my body can? Thank you John
            RER

My point is really that if we're discussing LHR training, and using Maffetone's research (and his 'lingo') then combining it with laboratory factors such as VO2 max makes the discussion somewhat foggy. This is because Maffetone never really used some of these traditional terms, or at least never defined MAF in these terms. In other words, is one's MAF HR equal to x% of VO2 max, or some such relationship? His notion was that we needed user-friendly terminology that related to real-life endurance training and racing rather than high tech laboratory jargon (which I did forever). What attracted me to his work was that he redefined a lot of this in a very useful way. VO2 max refers to the max amount of O2 we can utilize. It's a general measure of aerobic fitness but not a great predictor of race performance. Actually, other factors such as anaerobic threshold (or OBLA) are better race indicators, but still general. One's MAF pace (i.e., MAF test) is 1) as good an indicator of race performance, 2) a great indicator of aerobic fitness and 3) and great indicator of overall health. Mixing the different terms is like using two or three different languages in a sentence. None of them are wrong, but you often don't get the real meaning across to many people.
                So, I should Assume that because I have a low VO2, all that it really means is that my Aerobic system is considered poor, and should not take it as anything more than that? As far as MAF number I can provide you with my test results, if that would help? Hmmm, I need to figure out how to link to a file for download.
                  So, I should Assume that because I have a low VO2, all that it really means is that my Aerobic system is considered poor, and should not take it as anything more than that? As far as MAF number I can provide you with my test results, if that would help? Hmmm, I need to figure out how to link to a file for download.
                  This cycling article may be helpful. Your VO2max is 80% determined by genetics. You can develop your aerobic system to the highest your body will allow, but it still might be low compared to others with better genetics. http://www.velonews.com/article/8167