Low HR Training

Too Little Too Late? (Read 27 times)

PADRunner

I just recently learned about low HR training and am going to try to use it going forward. I have a HM in 10 days and marathon in about 12

weeks. This probably won help much f or the HM but possibly for the marathon.

Trying to calculate my MAF 180-53=27 add 5 for condition and maybe 1-2 for age adjustment, so about 133?

I tried a MAF test this morning and this was the result.

<colgroup><col width="100" /><col width="100" /><col width="100" /></colgroup>
    Date 12/4/2014  
    Time/Temp 5:00:00 AM 58
    Location Mike Lewis  
    MAF Target 133  
      Pace HR
    Mile 1 14:11 125
    Mile 2 13:09 132
    Mile 3 14:18 133
    Mile 4 13:57 132
    Mile 5 14:06 132
    Avg 13:56:12  
    Avg HR   130.8
    Max   143

About 1.5 min slower than my usual easy runs and a little slower than my long runs.

Are there different paces for Easy & long? Much slower than this and I'll be walking.

From the Internet.

I'm also quite new to this so hopefully someone else with more knowledge will jump in, but AFAIK there aren't separate easy and long run paces (ETA: I just realized I'm only thinking about the initial base-building phase - not sure about how you determine HR for racing, haven't gotten to that part of the book yet, so maybe ignore me!) With Maffetone, your training range is your MAF HR-10 up to MAF (so mine is 142-152), I've been trying to stay closer to the middle of that range for "recovery"-type runs and toward the top end for "harder" runs.

I would actually consider your mile 2 your first mile of MAF test since mile 1 heart rate average is low.  Usually using about 1 mile to warm up for MAF test is a good idea anyway.

Checked your log and found your recent 5K race time to be 31:54 with 10:17 pace.

Then refer to the table in this thread:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/forum/9dc7c4a4060d4ec2baac0976ddad9bf0

13:09 pace for MAF test will likely give you a 5K time of close to 28:15, which is faster than 31:54.

Therefore the conclusion seems to be your 133 MAF heart rate might be slightly high, maybe you can try 130 or 131?

Having to walk a bit to keep the heart rate down when you first started MAF training is quite normal for us low mileage folks.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert by any means.

But as a fellow runner the wild idea I will present here is, maybe you can use the 12 weeks to dedicate to MAF training.  Since your long run is only slightly faster than your speed at MAF heart rate anyway.

Just keep every run below or at MAF heart rate and try to increase weekly mileage, you might get some good result after 12 weeks and run a good marathon as well.

PADRunner

Thanks. Still waiting on my book from Amazon but have been reading everything online.

I wish I could hit those race numbers!

That's kind of the plan is going forward is try everything at MAF- and I'll try to use 131. I'm at 30+ a week now on mileage.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Did you do a WU before the maff test? There is too much fluctuation in your numbers. Are you planning to run the HM at maff?  10 weeks of maffing will only slow down your marathon time. You may want to start Maff training after your marathon. Did you come to Maff because of an injury?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

PADRunner

Did you do a WU before the maff test? There is too much fluctuation in your numbers. Are you planning to run the HM at maff?  10 weeks of maffing will only slow down your marathon time. You may want to start Maff training after your marathon. Did you come to Maff because of an injury?

No warmup just the first mile.I'm still trying t decide how to run the half. No injury, just feeling that easy runs were at too high of a HR and reading more on MAFF and aerobic base. What I thought was base building was at to high of a HR and that it could be my aerobic base not my peripheral artery disease that was limiting my progress. Or at least a better aerobic base can help alleviate some of the PAD problems.