Low HR Training

Antihistamine (Loratin/Benadryl) and Steroids (prednisone) Reak Havoc on HR and MAF (Read 388 times)

Kenny B.

I am new to MAF in my 4th week and it has been interesting to say the least. My Maff is 144. I decided because of the few years of running including some marathons to stay in MAFF 144 +/- 5 for my training runs. The first week I was running around 10:50ish pace on most of my runs give or take The second week around the same pace The third week I saw a differnce down to around 10:35 The current week (4th week) Things went to hell. I developed a contact dermatitis I believe from a swimming pool. So I had to go on Prednisone (Steroid) and Loratin an Antihistamine. My first dose was this past Sunday afternoon. Well Since then my runs have been awfully slow. My resting HR shot up from 46 avg to 52-54. So as a result my HR as been high at the start of each run. So to stay in the MAF range I had to slow down. Tue 11:36 5 miles Wed 11:04 8 miles Thu 10:56 4 miles all at MAF +2 or +3. Yes it is seems to be coming down again but I am not thrilled with this. Yesterday I think will be my last time I take the Antihistamine (which I think does cause High HR) and the Prednison I come off of this Sunday. Next week I will be doing a MAF Test and I hope to have all this crap out of my system. I am only folloing MAF for 12 weeks so every week is important.
    "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
    GMoney

Sorry to hear about the sickness. Heal up and get well - that needs to be the first priority. Illness is a stressor, and drugs can be too - the higher RHR might show that your body's already slightly stressed. (Your RHR is really 46, and not 146, right?) Maffetone says that if you're taking regular medication you should knock another 10 bpm off of the 180 minus number for the high end of your MAF range, so, in that case the MAF range would be 180-age-20 to 180-age-10. Although your medication might be only short term, you might want to keep your workouts at a 124 to 134 range while you're recovering and on the medication. That could help prevent excess stress from setting you back in both your recovery and your future running. You might find that you get more out of your 12 week MAF session by slowing down even more (or even just walking), than you would by running at HRs that are too challenging for your body while its healing. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
      Kenny B.

Sorry to hear about the sickness. Heal up and get well - that needs to be the first priority. Illness is a stressor, and drugs can be too - the higher RHR might show that your body's already slightly stressed. (Your RHR is really 46, and not 146, right?) Maffetone says that if you're taking regular medication you should knock another 10 bpm off of the 180 minus number for the high end of your MAF range, so, in that case the MAF range would be 180-age-20 to 180-age-10. Although your medication might be only short term, you might want to keep your workouts at a 124 to 134 range while you're recovering and on the medication. That could help prevent excess stress from setting you back in both your recovery and your future running. You might find that you get more out of your 12 week MAF session by slowing down even more (or even just walking), than you would by running at HRs that are too challenging for your body while its healing. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
        GMoney. Yes RHR is 46 avg. made the change. Funny thing is I Feel Awesome. I do not feel stressed and my legs feel very fresh. The contact dermatitis has not affected my well being other then the drugs affecting my HR I believe. I have slowed down my pace to stay in the MAF range, but you are saying to go even slowre to bring myself way below MAF due to the stress. I guess I dont feel the stress but My HR feels it. Makes sense. UGGH not easy going slow. Thanks,
        "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
        BeeRunB

GMoney. Yes RHR is 46 avg. made the change. Funny thing is I Feel Awesome. I do not feel stressed and my legs feel very fresh. The contact dermatitis has not affected my well being other then the drugs affecting my HR I believe. I have slowed down my pace to stay in the MAF range, but you are saying to go even slowre to bring myself way below MAF due to the stress. I guess I dont feel the stress but My HR feels it. Makes sense. UGGH not easy going slow. Thanks,
          A huge part of the program is managing stress. The high resting HR showed that the drugs were putting your body under a lot of stress. Trying to run the same effort and duration as a normal week might cause regression--might. It doesn't hurt to cut back, perhaps do some walking instead, during times like this. It's good policy to cut down or rest on days when your RHR is through the roof, on drugs or not. --Jimmy
          RER

Yes, prednisone will make you feel great, for a short while until the side effects start coming on (this is a heavy steroid and I can't believe you were prescribed it for dermatitis, especially with an antihistamine). Hopefully you're off it by now.
            Kenny B.

I have been weened off of it since Saturday. Good news is my resting HR is back down in the low to mid 40's and my runs have seen major improvement.