Low HR Training

My First MAF Test - Analysis? (Read 586 times)

El Presidente

There probably isn't much to analyze with the first test as it just lays the foundation for future tests, right? Age: 36 Running injury free for 3 years. Weekly mileage: 55-65 MaxHR Guess: 202 PRs 5K: 19:35 10K: 41:42 HM: 1:33:53 M: 3:13:33 This morning's MAF Test results: Time of Day: 5:00 AM Temp.: 31°F (Dew Point: 23°) Target MAF: 149 (after two-mile warm-up) Mile 1: 8:11 Mile 2: 8:14 Mile 3: 8:19 Mile 4: 8:21 Mile 5: 8:27 Anything to learn based upon the results of this first test? Comments would be appreciated.

"I train conservatively so that I can race recklessly."

I've actually never done a MAF test, but it looks good. Especially with your high max HR 149 is only 73.8% of max. I had a crappy run yesterday were I felt a little under the weather and my HR was elevated. Took an off day today, but feel better. Trying to do the carb deplete for a couple of days and I can honestly say I love carb. I've lost 5.6lbs since last Friday AM... Argh I hate the week before the marathon. I got sick the Wed/Thurs before NY in 2006...

El Presidente

Trying to do the carb deplete for a couple of days and I can honestly say I love carb.
        Who doesn't love carbs? I started depleting this morning and I'm already feeling sluggish. I had a breakfast of three eggs and a slice of cheese. I'm a believer in taking vitamin supplements and I've upped my dosage this week (of vitamins C, D and E) to hopefully keep any sickness at bay.
        Argh I hate the week before the marathon.
        I kept my mileage higher than usual going into this final week and that seems to have really helped my mental outlook. This week I'll be taking it easy (other than Wednesday's 4 x 1200m workout) and try to not gain any unwarranted weight. With the carb depletion, I typically lose 4-6 pounds, but it's all water weight which I gain right back when I add the carbs and high water intake those last three days.

Who doesn't love carbs? I started depleting this morning and I'm already feeling sluggish. I had a breakfast of three eggs and a slice of cheese. I'm a believer in taking vitamin supplements and I've upped my dosage this week (of vitamins C, D and E) to hopefully keep any sickness at bay. I kept my mileage higher than usual going into this final week and that seems to have really helped my mental outlook. This week I'll be taking it easy (other than Wednesday's 4 x 1200m workout) and try to not gain any unwarranted weight. With the carb depletion, I typically lose 4-6 pounds, but it's all water weight which I gain right back when I add the carbs and high water intake those last three days.
          I've been taking Airborne twice a day for the last week or so. Though I don't know if that stuff works, but we'll see. At least I am feeling better today. Probably was lack of sleep yesterday. I am going to try and make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep every night I'm already sick of eggs and cheese. Bacon not so much yet Smile My breakfast this AM was two eggs with cheese in it and 5 pieces of bacon. I had some peanut butter on a cracker to get some carbs (damn did it taste good). My lunch is 3 slices of pastrami, 2 slices of swiss cheese, some tuna fish with mayo and celery and celery stick with ranch dressing. Tonight for dinner will be some beef with broccoli and a large salad. I hope I don't lose to much weight. I'll be doing that 4x1200m workout on saturday also. Then I'm trying to decide if I should start eating carbs on Wed or Thurs. If I can make it that long
          BeeRunB

There probably isn't much to analyze with the first test as it just lays the foundation for future tests, right? Age: 36 Running injury free for 3 years. Weekly mileage: 55-65 MaxHR Guess: 202 PRs 5K: 19:35 10K: 41:42 HM: 1:33:53 M: 3:13:33 This morning's MAF Test results: Time of Day: 5:00 AM Temp.: 31°F (Dew Point: 23°) Target MAF: 149 (after two-mile warm-up) Mile 1: 8:11 Mile 2: 8:14 Mile 3: 8:19 Mile 4: 8:21 Mile 5: 8:27 Anything to learn based upon the results of this first test? Comments would be appreciated.
            Nice test. All 8's before the colons. 3.25% of pace decay. Pretty good, but it is was done in 31º, you would probably see a different result in 70º. Since you are doing it outside, you might see a slower improvement as the weather gets warmer. Doesn't mean you aren't improving a good rate though. Temp affects pace. I look forward to seeing alll 7's before your colons! Keep going! --Jimmy
              Who doesn't love carbs? I started depleting this morning and I'm already feeling sluggish. I had a breakfast of three eggs and a slice of cheese. I'm a believer in taking vitamin supplements and I've upped my dosage this week (of vitamins C, D and E) to hopefully keep any sickness at bay. I kept my mileage higher than usual going into this final week and that seems to have really helped my mental outlook. This week I'll be taking it easy (other than Wednesday's 4 x 1200m workout) and try to not gain any unwarranted weight. With the carb depletion, I typically lose 4-6 pounds, but it's all water weight which I gain right back when I add the carbs and high water intake those last three days.
              So I have given up on the carb depletion stuff as I just didn't feel like feeling like crap 6 days before the marathon. I made 2+ days and my run this AM was ugh! so I'll slowly ramp up the carbs throughout the week. I've lost some confidence unfortunately since Sunday, and hopefulyl something will come back before Monday..... Who knows.. I lost almost 6 lbs so, we'll see..

El Presidente

So I have given up on the carb depletion stuff as I just didn't feel like feeling like crap 6 days before the marathon.
                I understand. It's rather strange to feel so lethargic the week leading up to a marathon and expect to do well. Thankfully, I've done this enough times to know that there is a payoff.
                I've lost some confidence unfortunately since Sunday, and hopefulyl something will come back before Monday.
                Come on dcv2002! You know that shaky confidence is just a side effect of the taper (a taper tantrum, if you will). Your training is complete. The runs this week have zero physiological effect on how you will perform on Monday. I ran 7 miles this morning and have now begun the second day of depletion. Let's just say that tomorrow's 4 x1200 at T pace workout is going to be a chore not having any glycogen to pull from. Here is where all the heart rate training should come in handy, right?

I understand. It's rather strange to feel so lethargic the week leading up to a marathon and expect to do well. Thankfully, I've done this enough times to know that there is a payoff. Come on dcv2002! You know that shaky confidence is just a side effect of the taper (a taper tantrum, if you will). Your training is complete. The runs this week have zero physiological effect on how you will perform on Monday. I ran 7 miles this morning and have now begun the second day of depletion. Let's just say that tomorrow's 4 x1200 at T pace workout is going to be a chore not having any glycogen to pull from. Here is where all the heart rate training should come in handy, right?
                  Yeah, I know but it sucks to feel blah, run like blah, and only 6 days before the marathon. The runs I had last week made me confident that I might actually be able to PR in Boston, the way I feel now who knows, but I guess that what the taper is all about... I'd like one good run before Boston though. Just wish the runs I had last week continued into this week. Well today and tomorrow I'm probably on a limited carb diet maybe 100-150g (not like the 20-40g I was on Sunday and Monday up til this morning). Then on Thursday it will be lotsa carbs probabl 400g+.
                    Don't know when you are leaving (I'm driving-ferrying-driving up tomorrow AM. Going to take the long route through Hopkinton). My number is 3866 and if you look at this link http://www.runningtimes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8132 there is a picture in there where I might mosey over to around 845/900am Good luck if not and safe travels....

El Presidente

Don't know when you are leaving (I'm driving-ferrying-driving up tomorrow AM. Going to take the long route through Hopkinton). My number is 3866 and if you look at this link http://www.runningtimes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8132 there is a picture in there where I might mosey over to around 845/900am Good luck if not and safe travels....
                      My wife and I are flying up tomorrow evening. Should I bring my tennis racket to the "Village"? My number is 6336 (our bib numbers are eerily similar). I'll be walking around with a goofy grin on my face with thoughts such as this whirling in my head: "I'm going to run Boston!"

El Presidente

Here is an article that our local newspaper ran this morning. I am Brett, the primary subject of the article: Columbia Missourian

My "fog" seems to have lifted. Put in two non-HRM runs yesterday and today of three miles. Feel pretty good. Today's run was in sweats as my cold running gear is all washed for the trip. I heading up with my wife and 5-yr old son. Doing the whole vacation thing. Red Sox game Sunday, Museum of Science/Duck Tour on Tuesday (should be a lot of walking for the after marathon cooldown), Aquarium, Children's Museum etc. etc. My thought on that picture of Hopkinton was: 1. What school puts the tennis courts in front of the school and 2. Are 25,000 people actually going to be able to fit on school property??? Fort Wadsworth in NY is huge compared to the Hopkinton school.

El Presidente

My "fog" seems to have lifted.
                            Good to hear. I was very encouraged with how I handled the carb-depletion this go-around. It was tough, but not as bad as I remember it. I ran three miles this morning and started eating carbs as soon as my run was over.
                            Are 25,000 people actually going to be able to fit on school property???
                            We shall soon find out.