Low HR Training

Beginner Question: How Much Slower Could I Have Gone (Read 386 times)

Hi all, I decided to turn to LHR training after completing my first race, a HM, this past Sunday. Today, my first run since the race, I tried to keep my HR below (220-age)x0.7, which is 132. I could not for the life of me get it down that low and I ran at a 11:33 pace. Any thoughts?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hi all, I decided to turn to LHR training after completing my first race, a HM, this past Sunday. Today, my first run since the race, I tried to keep my HR below (220-age)x0.7, which is 132. I could not for the life of me get it down that low and I ran at a 11:33 pace. Any thoughts?
      Using your equation (220-age)*0.7=132 we get 220-(132/0.7)=age = 31.43 so you are 31/32. For MAF training you can run at 180-age = 148/149 for you so a lot higher than you are running, but.... Do you have any idea what your maxHR is? Running at (220-age)*0.7 will almost guarantee that you will be running LHR. MAF (which is what most people on here do is simply 180-age).
        Using your equation (220-age)*0.7=132 we get 220-(132/0.7)=age = 31.43 so you are 31/32. For MAF training you can run at 180-age = 148/149 for you so a lot higher than you are running, but.... Do you have any idea what your maxHR is? Running at (220-age)*0.7 will almost guarantee that you will be running LHR. MAF (which is what most people on here do is simply 180-age).
        Thank you very much. Yes, I'm 31. I really do not know what my max HR is. So you are saying I can run 180 - age and I will still reap the benefits of LHR training? I simply could not get myself down to 132. Could this be because I am just recovering from a race?

Thank you very much. Yes, I'm 31. I really do not know what my max HR is. So you are saying I can run 180 - age and I will still reap the benefits of LHR training? I simply could not get myself down to 132. Could this be because I am just recovering from a race?
          Generally speaking, yes you can use (180-age) and be just fine. It would be a pretty good idea to at least have an idea of what your max HR is, especially if you have a low max HR. What was your HM pace/time?
            Thanks, Docster. I finished in 2:14:28