Low HR Training

Finding MAF HR (Read 349 times)

In the general guide the recommendation is 180-age however it is stated that those in their low 20's (18 here) might need to play around. I'm intrigued by the MAF method but would like to know how to find my MAF HR if the equation breaks down for those that are younger.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

run-easy-race-hard

What are you training for? How long is your longest run? One way is to have a vo2max test done, but that's certainly not necessary. At 18, you don't likely have too much to worry about because as long as you just take it easy for most of your runs, you're likely to be well into your aerobic zone. If you want to find a MAF heart rate, you can find a pace for your longest run such that it feels comfortable the entire time, you don't begin breathing heavily, and your pace doesn't deteriorate towards the end. Take note of the heart rate you see at the end and it will be a good guess for MAF.
        Training for: 08 Pikes Peak Ascent, as well as 10k race but training right now is primarily ascent focused as I want to beat the 4 hour average. Longest Run: 14 miles MPW - 35-40, working up to 60-70

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

run-easy-race-hard

Training for: 08 Pikes Peak Ascent, as well as 10k race but training right now is primarily ascent focused as I want to beat the 4 hour average. Longest Run: 14 miles MPW - 35-40, working up to 60-70
          One way to estimate MAF heart rate by trial and error is to find a pace that you can sustain for 20 miles without any slow down and without being completely exhausted at the end. Take note of your heart rate at the end and use that as your MAF estimate. In some sense you can use a shorter distance, but most people don't usually experience a slow-down until it gets close to 20.