Low HR Training

UltraSteve's Hardrock 100 (Read 29 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Thanks, John...it's another different journey and I love journeys!

Life is short, play hard!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I'm glad I "lurked: in today and read Steve's story! Dang I can't imagine being on my feet for 42 hrs! Don't know how you do it Steve! I've finally been cleared by my cardiologist to run a marathon. I stupidly asked him and he stupidly said yes. So now I am training to be on my feet for 5 1/2 - 6 hrs and run the Austin Marathon Feb 16th, 2014. 67 & my first marathon. I'm staring at that time and wondering if I have the mental strength to handle it, but am confident I can build to it. I've migrated back to Galloway r/w from LHR about a year or more ago, mostly because I needed to run with a group that had slower runners like I am. I needed it to help manage onset of moderate to severe PTSD (a story for another day, and probably discussed in my logs or Pre-Dawn Patrol forum, can't recall if I updated the LHR group as to why/how I dropped out of posting). Have been meaning to drop in but believe it or not, I have less keyboard time as a retiree than I did when working!

That said, Awesome job Steve! Gives me inspiration to go out, train and finish Austin. Oh, btw, I committed to doing the Austin Distance Challenge of 6 races including a 10K, 10miler, 2 halves, 30K, and full marathon... I did say I'm crazy didn't I? Certified these days with paperwork to prove it!Eight ball

Lastly - I don't know if you've done Cowtown before. I did two halves and a couple of 10Ks when I lived in FW and Captained some winning Lockheed Martin teams before I retired and moved to Austin. I found it to be a well managed race with respect for back of the packers. Many of those involved with managing the race participate with FW running groups and some are not all that fast. So have been there in the back with slow pokes like me.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Thanks, Bob, it just takes perseverance and a lot of hiking ;-) Really, that's all there is to it...spend a lot of time on your feet hiking in training and when running, keep the HR at or below MAF. I kept my HR below MAF for most of the first half, until i got too tired to keep up near MAF! I remember looking at my HRM at around 55 miles and it read 86 ;-)

All that said, I think anyone can do a 100 mile run, as long as the cutoffs are reasonable. Living in Texas, you ought to check out the Rocky Raccoon 100 in Feb. ;-)

Thanks for the Cowtown info, the reason I chose that one is it gives me 5+ months to train and focus on it, but also my wife's family lives in FW, so it'll give us some quality visiting time.

Best of luck in our races and train smart and they will happen. I assume you had a heart condition, mentioning a cardiologist and Maffetone training is the best thing for your heart and health, which is way more important than any race time.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks Steve and Good luck back at ya!

Yes I have heart disease caused in part by exposure to Agent Orange during two tours in Vietnam 65-67 as a Seabee. Had a heart attack in 2008 (before I knew about the Agent Orange connection) which lead me to running to help reduce medications, increase HDL, etc. I continue to run now to also help control onset of additional AO induced issues etc. Hoping to stick around awhile longer for sure!  I did MAF training for about 18 months, maybe longer using what I thought was a conservative MAF of 107 (180-63-10) value based on Dr Phil's equation, but deducting 10 beats for medication and no plus up for having been running for awhile. I was puzzled when I started to feel injuries, and the onset of depression with PTSD also screwed me up. Around the time I was getting hit with PTSD I learned form Jimmy how to determine what my actual MAF was and it was even lower at 95, so I had been over training all that time, which contributed to my pissed off and depressed attitude. Took me a bit to climb out and realize I needed a 'project' to distract me, so I hooked up with a paid running coach and signed up for some races. She does Galloway 3/1 run walk approach which I've adopted. I'm doing better mentally and am more positive. Have also lost 30 lbs and had some PBs in last seasons races, and am taking fewer medications. Bottom line I really need to do a new MAF determination test and see where it is. I do know my max HR has climbed since it was measured at 137 in 2009 by previous Cardiologist. I hit the mid 140's and low 150's finishing 10mi and 10k races last season which leads me to think my MAF has changed as well.

Ya'll take care! I look forward to more race reports!

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Bob, that's awful about the war ramifications. We must be near the same age as I was lucky in that I got a high lottery number back in 1968 and avoided going to "nam.

Here's a video I pass on to some folks who have medical/heart issues. It's an eye opener.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/more-than-an-apple-a-day-preventing-our-most-common-diseases/

Best of luck,

Steve

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

Bottom line I really need to do a new MAF determination test and see where it is. I do know my max HR has climbed since it was measured at 137 in 2009 by previous Cardiologist. I hit the mid 140's and low 150's finishing 10mi and 10k races last season which leads me to think my MAF has changed as well.

Ya'll take care! I look forward to more race reports!

Hi Bob,

Good to see you posting again. I wish you the best of luck in Austin.

As far as your MAF goes, your age puts you in that area where the formula gets funky and you might have to add beats, which might offset the  -10 for meds. If you try the TM test, try to be aware of any changes in your breathing and body as you move through the test. I noticed a definite difference in my breathing at my deflection point. I haven't played with it yet, but I'm thinking that I could probably learn by feel where that point is. It might be interesting to warm-up, then increase intensity gradually with a full focus on the body, making note of your HR when you sense a change in your breathing (a feeling of needing a deeper breath, or perhaps a sudden shift of some kind), or a feeling in the body that's different, even a change in gait. See if that change coincides with 113 (180-67), or lower or higher.

Your MHR is in the 150's. Normally, we won't reach our MHR in a stress test, but usually in a race (still might be short a few beats). Natural intolerance of discomfort usually skews the number to the low side.

Your average HR in your last 10k for the running intervals was about 133. If your MHR is 150, then you averaged about 89% MHR. For the marathon, you will have to average much lower than that. At the most, probably 80-82% (120-123 bpm) for the running, and with walk breaks included, maybe 115 or so. Your aerobic training most likely should be at a lower HR.

Whatever MAF you end up going with, make sure your aerobic speed is improving and that you aren't exhausting yourself. Get a lot of recovery. Marathon training can sometimes put us on the razor's edge. Keep that average pace at MAF moving north!

Good luck, Bob!

--JimmyCool

Log    PRs