Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

Gwynhafra

Hi!  I've been MIA for a while-- had to take some time off after some enthusiastic squat workouts made my knees too sore to run.  I got back to running on June 15 and have started a streak!  Today I had a breakthrough-- I ran a lot more of my very hilly route than I've been able to before.  The first day, I had to walk every single hill or incline, but today, I could get at least halfway up all of them.  And while walking some of them, my heart rate went below 135!  (I try to stay between 135 and 140.)

All this after having several whiny runs in a row and after trying to decide whether I even wanted to run today since I'm feeling slightly sore for the first time since I started.

Jenne

Every run is a hilly run!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

25th Peachtree Road Race in the books. 1:16:14 HR 120 / 145.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

I have been having issues with running at MAF this week.  By the first mile, I'm already 3bpms above MAF.  By the end of the run, I'm 10-15bpms above it.  It is hot and humid but it was the same 2-3 weeks ago and I didn't have this problem.

So, I did 10 miles by effort on Tuesday at 11:28mm and 151HR (MAF is 143, 148 if I add the 5 points), and yesterday, I did 5 @ 146HR and 11:51mm.  Today, I did a 4th of July 5K at 179HR and 8:30mm, giving me one of my fastest 5Ks in the Summer.  No clue about what is going on.  Maybe I should aim for the 148HR instead of the 143 and not be frustrated.  I am used to running in this weather, just don't know what is going on.  I even changed HRMs and no change.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have been having issues with running at MAF this week.  By the first mile, I'm already 3bpms above MAF.  By the end of the run, I'm 10-15bpms above it.  It is hot and humid but it was the same 2-3 weeks ago and I didn't have this problem.

So, I did 10 miles by effort on Tuesday at 11:28mm and 151HR (MAF is 143, 148 if I add the 5 points), and yesterday, I did 5 @ 146HR and 11:51mm.  Today, I did a 4th of July 5K at 179HR and 8:30mm, giving me one of my fastest 5Ks in the Summer.  No clue about what is going on.  Maybe I should aim for the 148HR instead of the 143 and not be frustrated.  I am used to running in this weather, just don't know what is going on.  I even changed HRMs and no change.

You appear  not to have fully recovered

7/4/2013   Race 3.1 mi 26:59 8:43    

with a 3.5 mile cool down

Sorry did not fully read the post. Fastest 5K of the summer. i do not see a problem. Do you have 5 beats added to your maff because of the asthma? If so, it may be time to drop it.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3 mile walk

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

The not fully recovered is what I thought first.

But then I ran this 5K, and now I have to reconsider.  MAF without the asthma is 143.  +5 bpms is 148.  I cannot even keep the 143 by the end of Mile 1.  This has never happened to me.  I'm out of sorts right now.

Or yes, maybe I have not fully recovered from the illness and I'm pushing faster than I should.  But for some reason, if I try to keep 143 right now, the form starts breaking down.  This has never happened to me.

I have a 7 miler tonight.  I'll see what happens today and report back.

You appear  not to have fully recovered

7/4/2013   Race 3.1 mi 26:59 8:43    

with a 3.5 mile cool down

Sorry did not fully read the post. Fastest 5K of the summer. i do not see a problem. Do you have 5 beats added to your maff because of the asthma? If so, it may be time to drop it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Sigh.  7 miles at 156HR.  That is MP heart rate.  I swear I was going slow.  I was singing throughout!  Then, I ran 2.53 with hubby at his 13:39mm pace and I was above MAF too.  Don't know what is going on in the last two weeks.

I am going to tighten the strap and see how it goes tomorrow during my long run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sigh.  7 miles at 156HR.  That is MP heart rate.  I swear I was going slow.  I was singing throughout!  Then, I ran 2.53 with hubby at his 13:39mm pace and I was above MAF too.  Don't know what is going on in the last two weeks.

I am going to tighten the strap and see how it goes tomorrow during my long run.

You are running to fast for the heat.

Date: 7/7/2013 5:56 AM
                  Type: Long Run
                  Distance: 15 miles
                  Duration: 2:52:30.67
                  Pace: 11:31 / mile
                  Equipment: Mizuno Wave Elixir 7 (ELIXIRS)
                  Heart Rate: Average: 150 / Max: 174
                  Weather: 90° F, Sunny, Humid

Date:

4/28/2013 6:33 AM
                  Type: Long Run
                  Distance: 12.2 miles
                  Duration: 2:15:35.73
                  Pace: 11:07 / mile
                  Equipment: Hoka BONDI B (HKBB)
                  Heart Rate: Average: 145 / Max: 158
                  Weather: 78° F, Sunny, Humid

Fast Finish - Last 3 @ Fast

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Damaris**12 degree rise in temps will require more than a 24 second decrease in pace. Get back within maff ratio. The 5k race proves it is working for you.Cool

7 miles HR 119 / 135

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

That is what I assume, but I've been running in the 90s in the last three weeks and the HR is screwed up this week only.  And it does not explain why I run with my husband now at 13:30mm and above Maf too.  It has been frustrating, to say the least.

And today's run was a fast run with paced miles, which is why I did it at 150HR.  The first 12 miles were at 147HR and 11:55mm and that is 50sec/mile slower than my normal.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Oh, and today, I tightened the HRM.  It worked fine today.  I think the full 70-80 dewpoint is making the HR move too much.  I can wring a half a cup of sweat after my run from the strap alone and I have to fix it every mile or so since it moves.  Today, I didn't need to do that and I felt it was giving me good readings between 145 and 147 during the easy miles.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Damaris--Have you checked your resting HR?

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

Great idea.  Not lately.  But my HR when I hook the HRM has been the same for the last months.  85HR, no matter if morning or afternoon.  I'll see if I can take my resting HR this week.  Last time I checked it, it was 63.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Chasing the bus

Oh and a quick question - we have a trainer at the soccer club where my boys play. While talking during practice he mentioned that if you refrain from eating for 1 to 2 hours after a run, you can get the body into a light ketosis which helps get to the fat burn. Anyone else hear of this?

There was an article I read last year, a doctor somewhere basically did this as a diet for his patients. The idea is to get insulin levels low (fat burning zone), work out for 45 minutes minimum, and then fast for as long as possible, up to a few hours, (I go hypoglycemic after a couple of hours, and get really light headed) to keep burning fat. Supposedly you lose weight faster than those who do regular work outs and eat the same calories...I dunno.

Anyway, I'm back, or still here, or something. After getting the time I deserved, but not the time I wanted, in my half, I hurt my back and didn't run for a good stretch. Finally back on the road this week with 19 miles total. Did nine last night, with a headwind for the first 3, and was weirdly tired, hungry, thirsty, and had a tough time getting in the distance, even though I was sub MAF. Don't know if its the wind, work (long, hot day), not enough recovery, injury recovery, or just an off run. Resting HR up to 53, which is about what it runs when I'm training, after a couple of days of resting it'll go down to 47.  Today's a rest day, we'll see about monday.

Have a great week, all!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                              Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Chasing the bus

Last night, 6 mi., with 3 mile tempo in the middle. This may be my last anerobic workout of the year (tempo interval avg. HR 156, max 175, my MAF HR is 131, max HR 180).  Ran tempo in 26:30, near my goal 5k race pace. Hope this doesn't impact my goal to run a sub 26 min. 5k this weekend. Five days to recover should be adequate, yes? And nothing but short, slow easy runs for the rest of the week, I promise!  Anyway, ran the same 5k last year at 28 min., so last night was 1:30 faster, shooting for 2 min. faster saturday.

Have a good week, all!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                                Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test