Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

npaden

10.35 miles, 11:22 pace, 136 avg HR. Ran down into the canyon then back up then back down and back up again to the house. 633 feet of elevation gain. First half of the run was awesome, beautiful morning, pace was good, HR was averaging just over 130, felt great. Coming back I had to make a pit stop, pace slowed, sun came out, started chaffing, HR started climbing, etc. Still kept my overall avg HR at 136 and avg pace ended up at 11:22. Not terrible considering I just ran a 10 mile race Wednesday.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

labhiker

6:45am, 72F, 89% humidity, 10.14miles at 125bmp.  rolling hills.  Wanted to go a few more miles but ran out of time.

Took etabs before and during run  to help with hydration.  Used hand-held and 2 bottle in fuel belt.

labhiker

npaden

Yesterday evening - 3.1 miles, 10:48 pace, 135 avg HR.

Quick run right at sunset. Storm coming in, windy and some light rain there at the end. 79 degrees, 60% humidity, DP 62, wind ENE at 23 mph.

This morning - 6.08 miles, 10:53 pace, 136 avg HR.  (New Personal Best Pace for my 6 mile MAF route)

Beautiful morning and sunrise! 70 degrees, 73% humidity, DP 60. North wind 9 mph. Felt great even with only 5 hours of sleep and running 3 miles last night.

The 10:53 is my personal best for my 6 mile MAF route by a tiny bit, but the previous PB was on my 2nd MAF run ever back in May with a temperature of 58 degrees and DP of 48. 

I haven't been keeping up with my fancy spreadsheet that computes an effort indicator and all that stuff, but I feel like I'm making progress even with cheating by throwing a race in there once a month.  When temperatures start to drop in the fall I might be able to get a 10:00 pace logged at MAF before it is all said and done.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

labhiker

npaden - sounds like great progress to me, congrats.  I agree with you, once temps begin to drop you will see a well deserved drop in pace.  Out of curiosity how long are your monthly races and do you think your seeing a notable pace improvement as a result of the high effort days?

6am - easy run, rolling terrain, temp dropped to 61F however humidity remains high 94%, 3.7miles @ 119bpm.  Although the humidity remains high it felt good to run in cooler temp.  No complaints.

labhiker

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3.5 miles easy ( run,limp,run,walk) No monitor. MIBM marathon tomorrow.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Yesterday evening - 3.1 miles, 10:48 pace, 135 avg HR.

Quick run right at sunset. Storm coming in, windy and some light rain there at the end. 79 degrees, 60% humidity, DP 62, wind ENE at 23 mph.

This morning - 6.08 miles, 10:53 pace, 136 avg HR.  (New Personal Best Pace for my 6 mile MAF route)

Beautiful morning and sunrise! 70 degrees, 73% humidity, DP 60. North wind 9 mph. Felt great even with only 5 hours of sleep and running 3 miles last night.

The 10:53 is my personal best for my 6 mile MAF route by a tiny bit, but the previous PB was on my 2nd MAF run ever back in May with a temperature of 58 degrees and DP of 48. 

I haven't been keeping up with my fancy spreadsheet that computes an effort indicator and all that stuff, but I feel like I'm making progress even with cheating by throwing a race in there once a month.  When temperatures start to drop in the fall I might be able to get a 10:00 pace logged at MAF before it is all said and done.

Nice improvement, N! 10:53!

TODAY:

6.89 miles

1:50:00

walk/run

25 miles on the week

Have a great weekend!

--JimmyCool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

6.3 miles. 3.1 miles run/walk. 3.3 mile walk. MIBM marathon yesterday. Knee feast 5:34: x x. Managed to finish about 10 minutes before  midnight.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

npaden

Been getting in some miles on the road.  Ran in 100% humidity the other morning in San Antonio, WOW, I think I wouldn't have gotten as wet if it had been raining.

Forgot my dongle for my iPhone heart rate monitor on my long run yesterday, but felt like I kept it pretty close to where it needed to be.  Might have been a couple beats higher than it should have been, but I bet it was pretty close.

Tuesday morning - 4.1 miles at the house.  10:50 avg pace, 135 avg HR.

Wednesday morning - San Antonio - 6.04 miles, 11:01 avg pace, 139 avg HR.  (Dew Point 73)

Thursday evening - San Antonio - 4.93 miles, 10:45 avg pace, 142 avg HR.  (GPS messed up, I think it was shorter than that)

Friday morning - San Antonio - 3.61 miles, 11:01 avg pace, 137 avg HR.  (100% humidity, Dew Point 75)

Saturday morning - back home - 10.38 miles, 10:59 avg pace, no HRM.  51% humidity never felt so good!

npaden

npaden - sounds like great progress to me, congrats.  I agree with you, once temps begin to drop you will see a well deserved drop in pace.  Out of curiosity how long are your monthly races and do you think your seeing a notable pace improvement as a result of the high effort days? 

Thanks.  I just run in our local running club race each month.  They are anywhere from 4 miles to a half marathon.  The ones I've been running this summer have been an 11 miler, a 10K and a 10 miler.

I have no clue on whether the monthly races are helping or hurting.  Based on what I've read they should hurt my base training a little, but anectodally they seem to actually be helping a tiny bit.  I'm not one of those guys that crosses the finish line and falls down or starts puking or anything like that, I pretty much just run the race, finish, cool off some and then go on with my normal day.  My heart rate gets pretty close to max at the end, but I don't feel like I'm pushing myself to the limits if that makes any sense.

I do plan on doing some speedwork every couple weeks once I get out of my base building phase at the end of the summer.  I have a couple 10K's this fall that I would like to try to get some decent times posted on.  If I can find a 5K to run this fall I want to break 24 minutes on one.  I do have a half marathon planned in November, but it is a pretty tough course and I haven't set a goal for it yet.  I already broke my goal of 2 hours on my first half, but this one is going to be much more difficult and if I can break 2 hours on it I'll be very happy.

philipfromga

First Day with a heart monitor.  3.2 miles at 138 bpm.  Looking forward to many more runs that felt this good.

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Difficulty maintaining a sub-maf walk, let alone run!
                        Hot nuff for ya?

You know you've traveled to the land of OT, when...

that refreshing lemonade stand appearing on the horizon
                        turns out to be just another mirage.

Silly me.. 
                        Govt. forced them out of business long ago, didn't they?

bf

crosfire4

I have been at this for about 2 weeks now and find I totally enjoy my running so much more.

5.25 miles, avg HR 141 in 1:15.  It was still 90 degrees @ 10 pm but I forced myself out the door to the local track (no hills) and enjoyed the sweltering heat.  HR did climb up over MAF but just walked 100 meters and it came back down and picked it up again.  Pace a little better than when I started (17 min/mile) so the improvement is there, but the enjoyment it out of this world.

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

hi.

http://www.ketv.com/weather/7-day

Will plan a early run tomorrow am, while it's cool.

bf

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

18 miles  HR 120 /145. First 3 miles were a battle.Contemplated stopping since I was in the house refueling.Recovered around mile 5.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

18 miles  HR 120 /145. First 3 miles were a battle.Contemplated stopping since I was in the house refueling.Recovered around mile 5.

Hi RC,

Raining down south, isn't it?

Here, refueling would be like "adding fuel to the fire."

temps 100 +

bf