Low HR Training

Question about Heart Rates (Read 291 times)

Pammie

Did a 5km race today here are the stats Finished in 25:39 avg HR 162 Max 174 splits 5:03 149HR 5:10 165 5:14 166 5:13 167 4:58 167 Average Heart rate a little lower than normal but quicker Not run this quick for 5km since 2006 Now i have read in the recent pass about MHRs which can reduce a bit when you become more aerobically efficient/fitter. This will obviously effect HRRs and all that Today in my race it was hard to get my HR up and stay up is this because there is more adaptions to be made in my aerobic machine or is it possible my max may have reduced A few years ago even after doing max tests the highest i saw it was in a race (191) so have been using that figure Looking back at my races from last year the highest it went was 182 though i had an inconsistant training year due to getting back running after a 5 month break and little niggles which disrupted training. Could it have dropped 10 beats I have been doing LHR training (Hadd Style) since January Thanks in advance hope you can help.
      Interesting- I thought your HRmax was much lower than you thought based on what you said about not being able to complete the 170 HR interval in your Hadd test. Did you hit the 180-191 heart rates regularly in the past few years or was it just a few blips (that could have been faulty readings)? Nice job on the race and running your fastest since 2006!
      Pammie

Ace Thanks for your reply Not sure when it was found my MaxHR as was a few years back 2005/6 can't remember exactly this was in a race near the end of a 5km. Before this iremember doing a Hadd test and i remember touching the 180 bit although not for long, (maybe 186-188 this is from memory, did a hill test and it went a little higher so i had a few tests where they came in the same area. Oct 2006 i did my first Marathon but for 5 months after didn't really run just a little bit here and there so guess lost a little bit of conditioning. When i started again beginning of April 2007 had a few niggles etc so couldn't keep running consistant and did things the wrong way instead of going back to basics i rushed into speedwork too soon, my reasoning was as the race season was really just starting and i wanted to run fast So now i am questioning myself why i can't work at such a high heart rate like i used to In 2005 i did a hilly 15 miler at 168 avg HR
        BeeRunB

Hi Pammie! How hard were you breathing during the race? 5k races are tough. I think it takes as much mental endurance to hold a pace that will push 95-96% MHR as it does running a full marathon. I don't think everyone really runs them as hard as they could because it is so darn uncomfortable to run them correctly. It feels like your heart might burst from your chest. In 2005, you ran 15 miles at 168 Ave HR. That is right on for a 190 MHR. I don't think your MHR has come down below that, since it is probably a touch higher (again we don't always push as hard as we actually can because of discomfort). I went to the Team Oregon Pace Wizard and put in a 15 mile time and a MHR of 190, it gave a HR of 168 for 25k. Right in the ballpark. If 167 was the highest AHR for a split, and you were running hard enough to almost spit your heart out, then that would make your MHR about 175. I don't think it has dropped 15 best in 3 years. I'm not sure what went on with the 5k race you just did today, but I would venture to say that you were about 14-17 beats short of what you could be running. Why you couldn't get there. I don't know. All sorts of things can slow you down (iron deficiency, carbs too close to a race, discomfort, tiredness from training volume, etc.) Take what I say with a grain of sea salt. Don't change a thing because of what I offer. My hope is that you will research all this on your own and come to your own conclusions. There is some opinion out there that MHR is some sort of myth--that it can change according to fitness. My experience is that it is not a myth, as I pretty much hit the same high the past 3 times I checked, and I wasn't in the same state of fitness. Good luck! Keep going! --Jimmy
          Pammie

Hello Jimmy Thanks for your reply "How hard were you breathing during the race?" Hardish but reckon i could have pushed it further and faster but i didn't get that sick feeling till the last 200metres when i was pushing for the line. (when i got the max of 174) I know my HR was dropping in the race so had to work harder to get it up there Thanks for your advice there your posts are always informative to read and i know i should get the HR higher would the fact that i'm marathon training at the moment so concentrating on endurance more (though i may be clutching at straws here ) but it will be something i'll be working on after the marathon. Yes i haven't been tapering for any races just concentrating on the main event miles in Jan 172 and Feb 190 both higher mileage than i've done before (and i haven't got near that in quite a few years