Low HR Training

Just Started Maffetone Method After 2 Years Of Not Running (Read 37 times)

Hi there

A new user, good to mind a forum that is up to date with recent posts on the maffetone method. I worked exclusively with this method a good couple of years back, only for 2-3 months but saw some good results.

I stopped running for quite a while, and have focused more on strength training and some sprinting in recent times, but the Spring is here, and the countryside beckoned, so I am back running again. Had to pick up a new Garmin FR 310XT (v nice) as my brick sized FR301 was getting rather irritating as it lost the HR monitor so often. No such issue with the 310XT, lovely!!!

I do have a blog, where I am recording my progress, with some pics from Garmin Connect etc, I'll probably be posting there 2-3 times a week, but will also spend a lot of time on this forum I suspect :-)

Here is the blog for anyone who is interested.

http://www.leanerbydesign.com/category/fitness-2/aerobic-training/maffetone-method-aerobic-training/

I did my first MAF test yesterday, although only 3 miles of MAF paced running, miles 1 and 5 were w-up and cool down.

I decided, just for some structure, to follow a marathon training program for 20 weeks, just to sort out the volume, got one from Cool Running which has no tempo runs or anything, just the mileage. So I am working to that, starting around 20 miles per week, peaking at 47 I think. As I am not actually going to need to taper, I might just increase mileage when I get to that point, fancy getting into an ultra or two for Summer 2015.

Anyway, looking forward to learning and sharing.

Cheers

Steve Reed

My Training, Nutrition & Running Blog

I'm detailing my Maffetone Method progress there.

BeeRunB

Welcome, Steve. Look forward to your posts. You can put a link to your blog in your signature, if you want. Keeps us reminded it's there. Looks like your paces aren't too bad right now (about the same as mine). They'll get better.

--Jimmy

Hey Jimmy

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty damned hilly where I live, so the MAF test is where it's at as far as getting any 'useful' data for comparison.

When I ran on a treadmill a couple of years back, I went from high 11 min miles, down into the 9s after about 3 months, building to 40 odd miles a week. I was eating a very low carb diet then, and saw a post on here about someone who got some good results until he added crap back into his diet. The Art And Science Of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney And Volek is a good read, I've been eating more carbs recently having been doing some strength training. I still don't eat any before training, in fact I fast until lunch so run on an empty stomach anyhow.

Looking forward to seeing where I go with this

Cheers

Steve Reed

BeeRunB

Hey Jimmy

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty damned hilly where I live, so the MAF test is where it's at as far as getting any 'useful' data for comparison.

When I ran on a treadmill a couple of years back, I went from high 11 min miles, down into the 9s after about 3 months, building to 40 odd miles a week. I was eating a very low carb diet then, and saw a post on here about someone who got some good results until he added crap back into his diet. The Art And Science Of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney And Volek is a good read, I've been eating more carbs recently having been doing some strength training. I still don't eat any before training, in fact I fast until lunch so run on an empty stomach anyhow.

Looking forward to seeing where I go with this

I read that book, and gave it a go. Living and training in ketosis. My aerobic speed tanked from about 12:00 at the time to 20:00 per mile. It took months to see improvement, and I started to get some physical problems related to being in ketosis for so long. Ones that I didn't want to mess with, so I ended it. There's a problem with potassium flushing on that diet, and it's hard to keep up with the amount of salt one needed to counter-act it. Perhaps, if I had a doctor overseeing me through it, and testing my levels, it might work. Those problems disappeared almost immediately after resuming normal eating.  I don't recommend it. After all my experiments with diet, I've settled on the belief "don't overeat", and find that that is the best diet ever.

Most of the time, I train on an empty stomach. Sometimes it's been 12+ hours, but never closer than 3-4 hours.

I did ketosis for quite a while, even ran kettle bell classes on it, and didn't feel to bad.

I think one can adapt, there are some athletes that have apparently, but I prefer to keep things a little more in balance, I get most of my carbs from veg and a little sweet potato / white rice etc, mainly eat an unprocessed food diet, which seems to serve me quite well.

Be interesting to see if I can get some good results this time round, I intend to stick at it for a lot longer.

I still want to lift some weights, 3 times a week or so, but I think the relatively 'easy' level of training with maffetone, it gives me my best chance to be recovered to lift and vice versa.

Cheers

Steve Reed

Funy, just found an old thread on the subject that I posted in a couple of years back, funny listening to yourself two years on. I said back then:

"Quite a few people report improvements at the start, and then a drop in pace as their anaerobic system declines showing the massive hole in their aerobic base. For me, I am running exclusively this way, and work at 132-137 bpm most of the time. Been at it since beginning of Dec 2011, and am seeing a gradual improvement, but it is slow. today for example, I ran 6 miles at around 10:14 to 10:30 min miles. Not that quick, but that was at 127 bpm avg. 4 weeks ago this would have been @ 135 bpm. I am also running with a decline on the tredmill every other day, and am doing 9:14 min miles or so for HR of 134 bpm avg, a significant improvement over a month ago. So, it takes time, the results are slow, but the idea is that you can continue to improve for years and years. Imagine running 7:30 min miles at 135 bpm in a year, and then racing at 160 - 170 bpm, you'd be like a rocket!!!!!"

Here's a link to that thread if you haven't seen it before, I was posting as Wild Runner

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/general-training-race-tactic-discussion/29278-maffetone-method-training-thread.html

I've just started posting again on that same thread, but it is pretty well dead, unlike this one

Cheers

Steve Reed

Just posted up my Week 1 Day 2 results from Garmin Connect. A mere 4 miles, but I am determined to build mileage progressively rather than just jump in at the deep end

http://www.leanerbydesign.com/2014/04/week-1-maffetone-method-training-day-2/

Cheers

Steve Reed

Slow and Steady

Welcome aboard, Steve! I'm relatively new here. I've been doing MAF training since November and also have been blogging about it (only once a month, though, but I do post all my workouts here). I also tried Low-Carb after reading that book, but I found it too prohibitive as I love me some fruit. Keeping under 50g a day was just too much work! So I'm back to low-ish carb (I rarely eat sugars, rice, pasta or bread) and am seeing good results. I've also found (thanks to the group here talking about it) that getting in enough hours on feet is pretty important in seeing results. I've read that at least 6 hours a week is required if you want to see improvement. Some people say 10 hrs/wk but come on, now we're moving into part-time job territory.

Anyway, will look forward to keeping up with your training over here!

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Thanks for the reply. Yes, low carb is not needed, and most people who do regular exercise have no problem with some carbs. Cuttting the processed stuff out is a good plan.

I'm looking at around 22 miles a week to start, and at this pace, I'm probably already into 5-6 hours a week. When I progress into the 30,40 and 50 mile per week range, then it will definitely be a part time job :-)

Although I think that so much time devoted to exercise is unnecessary, I love a project, data recording and seeing progress, so it's worth it for me.

Cheers

Steve Reed

BeeRunB

Getting faster at MAF sure solves part of the time problem!

I've just completed week 2. 21 miles this week, building it up slowly. All good, I feel like the gentle hills are able to be run (jogged) a little more without going outside my heart rate target. I've just included a link to my blog for anyone who fancies a look.

Cheers

Steve

http://www.leanerbydesign.com/2014/04/low-heart-rate-training-diary-week-2-maffetone/

Cheers

Steve Reed

Slow and Steady

I really enjoy hills. Even if I have to walk them up, it's fun to run at a faster pace coming down!

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

BeeRunB

I've just completed week 2. 21 miles this week, building it up slowly. All good, I feel like the gentle hills are able to be run (jogged) a little more without going outside my heart rate target. I've just included a link to my blog for anyone who fancies a look.

Cheers

Steve

http://www.leanerbydesign.com/2014/04/low-heart-rate-training-diary-week-2-maffetone/

It gets easier. Even Mark Allen had to walk hills with this method when he first started.