Low HR Training

TE (Training Effect) in HRM (Read 61 times)

so I'm curious, if any of you have a garmin 910XT or other HRM (e.g. some HRM's of suunto brand) that is capable of Training Effect (TE) measurement. this is based on oxygen consumption estimated from heart rate variability or something.

what is your TE usually with MAF runs? runs where you hold MAF HR after warming up until the end of workout.

as for myself: TE value for runs at 153bpm is <3.0. (2.9 or a bit less). that's categorized as maintenance of aerobic fitness. improvement is supposedly from 3.0 and up.

(153bpm: using 180 formula I get this 153bpm for MAF HR though I'm pretty sure that's too low a number. but I have no idea how much to add to it or whatever :P )

sooo, it seems, no MAF'ers here have such a HRM with Training Effect measurement? Sad

new info: 50min run around 156-162bpm: TE = 3.2 (157bpm avg HR, 8:40 avg pace)

(if I were to use the formula and add 5bpm for consistent training & improvement over the years, this run would mostly fit that MAF number.)

jimmyb

sooo, it seems, no MAF'ers here have such a HRM with Training Effect measurement? Sad

new info: 50min run around 156-162bpm: TE = 3.2 (157bpm avg HR, 8:40 avg pace)

(if I were to use the formula and add 5bpm for consistent training & improvement over the years, this run would mostly fit that MAF number.)

No, just a clunky ol' Garmin 305 that came with the "For Effect" Dick Tracy hat and trench coat (helps off set the shocking look of my prune face).

Log    PRs

Bad Ass

I have the 910.  Most of my runs are at the TE of 3.1-3.5 at MAF minus 2-3bpms.  Around 3 for my recovery runs.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

jimmyb: LOL! Cool

Docket_Rocket, thanks for the data Smile what is your MAF number and your age?

bbartley

I've had a difficult time finding any relation of TE to MAF... I have 910xt, I'm male, 29yo, use 156 as my HR number.  Some recent runs include:
              14mi @ 7:59/mi @ 150avgHR w/TE = 3.4

15mi @ 7:56/mi @ 152avgHR w/TE = 3.6

*10mi @ 8:58/mi @ 146avgHR w/TE = 3.8

**6.2mi @ 8:28/mi @ 150avgHR w/TE = 5.0?!?!

***3.1mi @ 9:48/mi @ 153avgHR w/TE = 5.0?!?!

*MAF Test with 15min (1.5mi) EASY warmup, 5mi MAF Test, then 3.5mi cool down

**wore FiveFingers for entire run

***100% trails with 500ft gain

Matter of fact, I can't really find a run that shows <3.0 TE... I'm more interested in how TE is calculated first, then how it might related to HR training...

Bad Ass

Sorry for answering late.  I am a female, 37, so 143.

jimmyb: LOL! Cool

Docket_Rocket, thanks for the data Smile what is your MAF number and your age?

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

I've had a difficult time finding any relation of TE to MAF... I have 910xt, I'm male, 29yo, use 156 as my HR number.  Some recent runs include:
                  14mi @ 7:59/mi @ 150avgHR w/TE = 3.4

15mi @ 7:56/mi @ 152avgHR w/TE = 3.6

*10mi @ 8:58/mi @ 146avgHR w/TE = 3.8

**6.2mi @ 8:28/mi @ 150avgHR w/TE = 5.0?!?!

***3.1mi @ 9:48/mi @ 153avgHR w/TE = 5.0?!?!

*MAF Test with 15min (1.5mi) EASY warmup, 5mi MAF Test, then 3.5mi cool down

**wore FiveFingers for entire run

***100% trails with 500ft gain

Matter of fact, I can't really find a run that shows <3.0 TE... I'm more interested in how TE is calculated first, then how it might related to HR training...

thanks for the data Smile

those 5.0 numbers are weird, are you sure your garmin didn't act up during those runs? like, didn't it do random HR spikes (up or down)? because then the TE number gets screwed up too. I get that issue sometimes if the strap is too loose or not wet enough etc.

okay more info on TE calculation and relation to HR training:

it's supposed to reflect (quoting from firstbeat site): "TE measures the accumulated load during a workout and tells its impact on your aerobic fitness".

TE is calculated from two things:

1) it's based on estimated after-workout oxygen intake or EPOC (= excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, this is not anaerobic oxygen debt!), this is estimated during the run from R-R data, which means heart rate intervals (between beats), measured in ml/kg

2) this value is then adjusted based on activity class (that is, how much you train), the raw ml/kg data supposedly doesn't mean the same for an untrained person compared to a highly fit athlete, in terms of impact of the workout on aerobic fitness.

(personally I would prefer to have the raw data too but I haven't looked yet to see if I can get this data off the garmin)

as for what the numbers e.g. 3.0 or 5.0 mean:

TE 1.0-1.9: Easy recovery

Benefits: This is a good workout for health and wellness and in longer duration (over 1h) for developing the endurance base. Easy workouts also help recovery after harder ones.
                  Recommended: Beginners starting to exercise and for developing your endurance base. For athletes as a recovery workout and to develop the endurance base.

TE 2.0-2.9: Maintaining fitness
                  Benefits: This workout maintains cardiorespiratory fitness and builds a foundation for better fitness and harder training in the future.
                  Recommended: For all as an essential part of any training program.

TE 3.0-3.9: Improving fitness

Benefits: This workout improves cardiorespiratory fitness.
                  Recommended: Two to four times per week for those training regularly.  These workouts are the basis of a good training program.

TE 4.0-4.9: Highly improving

Benefits: This workout sharply improves cardiorespiratory fitness.

Recommended: For active fitness participants once or twice per week. Workouts of Training Effect 1.0-2.9 are recommended after TE 4 workouts to balance the training and achieve recovery.

TE 5.0: Overreaching
                  Benefits: Very good effect on cardiorespiratory fitness.
                  Recommended: Not recommended by Fitness Coach and suitable only occasionally for fit individuals experienced in training. This workout must be followed by adequate recovery and easy recovery training.

http://www.firstbeat.fi/consumers/heart-rate-monitors/firstbeat-intelligence-in-heart-rate-monitors

see more on the whole topic at: www.firstbeat.fi/en/training-effect

Sorry for answering late.  I am a female, 37, so 143.

no worries & thanks Smile

I had no idea what that new te number was till now! Just looking at a couple of my

Maf runs with my 910 xt. Seem to range from 2.6 (short easy run )

to 3.1 (medium run at close to maf hr)

As a comparison my 5k race was 4.6.

I had no idea what that new te number was till now! Just looking at a couple of my

Maf runs with my 910 xt. Seem to range from 2.6 (short easy run )

to 3.1 (medium run at close to maf hr)

As a comparison my 5k race was 4.6.

thanks, can you also give your age and your MAF HR number?

Age 42, I use 140 for MAF (I started 3 years ago at 141, so keeping it close to that for the moment)