Low HR Training

Recovering from injuries (Read 264 times)

northrup

The day after my last logged run near the end of April I was struck from behind by a car while on my bike. Fortunately it was a slow speed accident but I still ended up with four rib fractures, a fractured clavicle, a concussion and numerous lacerations. I am hoping to get back to MAF'ing next week(assuming final checkup is okay). I plan to start all over with MAF training as I know I've lost a great deal of fitness. The concussion has left me with periods of dizziness which are slowly becoming less frequent but have prevented me from walking even moderate distances. Plus I had a lot of pain for the first couple weeks post-accident so really wasn't moving very much at all. My resting HR is now 56-57 compared to 44-46 previously which seems to indicate that I have some work ahead of me. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if any of you have ever recovered from similar injuries or whether you've used MAF as a rehab-type program. It would be very encouraging to hear that someone else has managed to work their way back and to hear how you did it. Thanks for any suggestions....
    lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

The day after my last logged run near the end of April I was struck from behind by a car while on my bike. Fortunately it was a slow speed accident but I still ended up with four rib fractures, a fractured clavicle, a concussion and numerous lacerations. I am hoping to get back to MAF'ing next week(assuming final checkup is okay). I plan to start all over with MAF training as I know I've lost a great deal of fitness. The concussion has left me with periods of dizziness which are slowly becoming less frequent but have prevented me from walking even moderate distances. Plus I had a lot of pain for the first couple weeks post-accident so really wasn't moving very much at all. My resting HR is now 56-57 compared to 44-46 previously which seems to indicate that I have some work ahead of me. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if any of you have ever recovered from similar injuries or whether you've used MAF as a rehab-type program. It would be very encouraging to hear that someone else has managed to work their way back and to hear how you did it. Thanks for any suggestions....
      northrup, Welcome back to RA. It sounds as though you've been thru quite an ordeal. I'd like to wish you a speedy recovery and return to good health. I can't really offer any first-hand suggestions on rehab training per se, but I recently came across an interesting blog by a 72 year old runner in Utah: http://oldmanrunning.org/ He is a self-described geezer who has had a lengthy running career and was injured in a car accident at one point. He details how he made a come-back to running and how at first his HR was elevated, much like you've described, and how he approached his recovery. You may find it useful. I enjoyed it and his overall tenacity/dedication to running. Best wishes, Lg1
      ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
      Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
      ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
      northrup

Thank you for mentioning that blog. It's very interesting and encouraging. To think that he started back only being able to go 1/8 mile certainly gives me hope. For a change I have the advantage of being younger so I'm thinking if someone in his seventies can recover like that, I should be able to get there too eventually. I don't have his running background but then again my goals are not as high as his. I'm still having some difficulty concentrating so it will take me awhile to get through the entire blog but thank you again lowgear1 for your concern and the reference to 'oldmanrunning'. Just skimming through it was so inspiring. I hope to be able to post my first MAF run in a week or two. The great thing about MAF for those of us who haven't been athletes is how easy it makes it to achieve fitness. I go to physio twice weekly and I think I've convinced my physiotherapist to try MAF with me when I get started again. She's always given up on running because it's been too hard - MAF running should be quite a revelation for her.
          First off, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I cannot stand hearing about bike accidents like this. There are almost no bike lanes where I live, and it's the main reason I don't even consider tri's, etc. I wish you a speedy recovery back to 100%! I do not have any experience with rehabbing in such a manner, unfortunately. (well, fortunately, I guess) It makes sense to start out below MAF, which will be slow at first especially with the heat of summer. This will allow your body time to adjust to the pounding. If you are still experiencing bouts of dizziness, I would suggest starting out on a treadmill. This way it's easier to back off or scratch the workout completely. You will also be less taxed by the heat, etc. You might also consider mixing in pool running (or swimming, etc) if you have access to such facilities. Whichever route you choose, go very easy at first. You will likely be able to regain your fitness faster than you realize once you are back to full strength. Smile Keep us posted!