Low HR Training

Intervals, hills, strides? (Read 41 times)

Chasing the bus

I've read Maffetone's book. he advises NO anaerobic work, or strength training. Do any of you try sub-maf HR intervals or hillwork? Strides would seem to be anaerobic too. So far I've just been running, trying to keep my HR below MAF, and since I live in hills, the downhill running is just natural.

What do you guys do, or think? Time to do my training calendar.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

From my understanding, Dr. Phil advises no anaerobic work or strength during the aerobic base phase. Once you've built your aerobic system sufficiently, then you bring in the anaerobic work, whether it be specific workouts like Fartlek, tempo runs, etc., or races (more than sufficient anaerobic work if you race weekly). Personally, I follow this kind of set-up, though I do some strength training a few times a week (nothing too heavy, mostly yoga moves with a few resistance exercises). He believes that it's unnecessary to go over 90% MHR for anaerobic work, as he found his athletes got the same effect from 90% as they did 95%. If you look at an RQ test, you can see that there's not much difference in how much sugar your burning vs. fat. In my RQ test, I was using 15%fat / 85% sugar at 90%MHR. Not too many aerobic fibers being used at that point. At 95% MHR, I was using no fat at all. Barely any difference in terms of fiber usage whether your at 90% or 95%. The mental training of 95% might be different than 90%, though. There might be some gains in tolerance of discomfort the harder you go. But racing will teach you that just as much.

It all depends where you're at. Mark Allen did his patience phase (aerobic base) for 12 weeks, then brought in anaerobic work. He always monitored his aerobic speed during this period, and during training. If he found that he was regressing, he'd back off, return to base work. Someone coming to this training who is broken down, just starting running, or in aerobic deficiency might not be able to handle any strides or hill work during the base phase. Hard intervals, even one time, could send them back into a broken state, or impede progress. Someone who comes to this training in good shape, not broken down, with a good aerobic speed might be able to handle it. Their MAF tests, plus how they feel, will cue them into whether or not it's good idea at the time. Aerobic speed (speed at MAF, MAF tests) will inform you as to whether or not something is working.

If you're looking for some turnover stimulation, or just plain variety, while in the MAF base period, downhill intervals/running and aerobic intervals are suggested by Dr. Phil. Personally, I find that for aerobic progress that its not necessary, but for some fun they're good. I'm not sure he describes these things in The Big Book at the moment, but are in his other books for sure (Training For Endurance, The Maffetone Method). Downhill intervals are done on a long downhill at MAF, and coming back up either walking or at an easier effort. Aerobic intervals are done where you run the hard part @MAF, and the easy interval at MAF-10. Dr. Phil has written that some of his athletes got so fast at MAF, that it became uncomfortable to run for long periods, and they'd end up running at a lower HR, but they would do these intervals. Imagine being able to run 5:30 pace or better at MAF.

What you decide is up to you, of course. I'm all for experimentation (I'm always trying things--lots of failed experiments in the trash), that's how you find out what works for you. Keep in touch with your aerobic speed, resting HR, and how you feel, and you'll be on solid ground, increasing the probability that you won't sabotage yourself.

END BOOK 1112.2

--JimmyCool

Log    PRs

If you're looking for some turnover stimulation, or just plain variety, while in the MAF base period, downhill intervals/running and aerobic intervals are suggested by Dr. Phil. Personally, I find that for aerobic progress that its not necessary, but for some fun they're good. I'm not sure he describes these things in The Big Book at the moment, but are in his other books for sure (Training For Endurance, The Maffetone Method). Downhill intervals are done on a long downhill at MAF, and coming back up either walking or at an easier effort. Aerobic intervals are done where you run the hard part @MAF, and the easy interval at MAF-10. Dr. Phil has written that some of his athletes got so fast at MAF, that it became uncomfortable to run for long periods, and they'd end up running at a lower HR, but they would do these intervals. Imagine being able to run 5:30 pace or better at MAF.

What you decide is up to you, of course. I'm all for experimentation (I'm always trying things--lots of failed experiments in the trash), that's how you find out what works for you. Keep in touch with your aerobic speed, resting HR, and how you feel, and you'll be on solid ground, increasing the probability that you won't sabotage yourself.

hahaha, 5:30 MAF speed! that translates to a marathon time under 2:20. an american guy at that level of running can get in the olympic trials!! and as a woman... eh, you'd be among a select *very* few. yeah ok, I bet for those people aerobic intervals do work well Smile me, I will be happy if I can ever hold that 5:30 speed for a couple of miles LOL

as for experimenting, I'm having a lot of fun with that myself! keep going! Cool

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

hahaha, 5:30 MAF speed! that translates to a marathon time under 2:20. an american guy at that level of running can get in the olympic trials!! and as a woman... eh, you'd be among a select *very* few. yeah ok, I bet for those people aerobic intervals do work well Smile me, I will be happy if I can ever hold that 5:30 speed for a couple of miles LOL

as for experimenting, I'm having a lot of fun with that myself! keep going! Cool

One girl's 5:30 is another's 7:30, C. Uncomfortable is uncomfortable. Would you like to meet for a coffee so I can tell you all about Mark Allen? I'm really dying to.  If you're lucky, I'll sprinkle in a little Stu Mittleman and Mike Pigg.Smile

Log    PRs

One girl's 5:30 is another's 7:30, C. Uncomfortable is uncomfortable. Would you like to meet for a coffee so I can tell you all about Mark Allen? I'm really dying to.  If you're lucky, I'll sprinkle in a little Stu Mittleman and Mike Pigg.Smile

when I visit the US again, I'll definitely be glad to meet up for a coffee Cool

btw... any female names to add to that list? :P