Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

Did the Canberra Half Ironman on Sunday.

Woke up at 4am for breakfast. My wave didnt start till 7 but they close transition area at 6 so no time to go back for a snooze afterwards. Why do organisers insist on such crazy start times?!

Lovely morning, no sign of the bad weather that had been forecast every day for last few days.

As I was warming up, however, the clouds started gathering, and our wave started to the sound of loud thunder.

At least we wouldn't get any wetter swimming - although the same couldnt be said about my nice dry gear in the transition area.

I managed to have a decent swim - it's usually my worst leg, but I finished the 1900m (1.2 miles) in the middle somewhere in 39:13.

Got on my bike in the pouring rain, not a good way to start a 90k bike ride. The course was pretty hilly, which made it a bit dangerous in the conditions. I seemed to be struggling a lot early on, way too many people passing me. I decided to hop off and check, found my back brake was catching the wheel, doh!  Felt pretty strong from there, and on the last lap of three was passing a lot of people, and looking forward to the half marathon and maybe even running a p.b. (my HM time is 1:48). By Bike split was 2:55:51 for the 90k.

By now the sun was out and it was pretty steamy. First 2k felt great, legs working well. I was aware that I needed to take in more calories so at the first aid station I drank a small cup of Endura. Within a couple of minutes my stomach was in knots and I felt something between a stitch and a stomach ache. I tried slowing, deep breathing, going faster, nothing helped much. I dont eat much on runs in training, and I think my tummy just isnt trained to take in calories on the run. From 2k to 11k all I could do was keep going as best I could, pouring water on my head but unable to manage more than a sip or two. The stomach discomfort eventually passed and I was able to drink water and down a gel at 12k. At 16k I tried to pick up the pace to run under 2 hours, but I couldnt quitte hold it, and finished the run in 2:01:19.

Overall time was 5:43:35 - a bit slower than I hoped, but a good learning experience. 

BeeRunB

Congrats on finishing such a tough event, Sean. And WTG on being mentally tough and working through the issues. Was thsi your first half Ironman?

--Jimmy

Congrats on finishing such a tough event, Sean. And WTG on being mentally tough and working through the issues. Was thsi your first half Ironman?

--Jimmy

Cheers Jimmy. Yip this was my first half IM. I had only done up to olympic distance before. It's definitely a different beast of a race - tougher than I expected, but a great experience. Now back to some base building and maybe a full IM in June.... 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. Forty minutes in the water. I have wondered how long the swim portion took.Some where in the distance future I would like to do a sprint tri. Congrats. You tri people really impress me.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on being impressed! Great job Sean!

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Manatee River Run 5 miler.

31:45 won my age group (45-49)

Course was fun, hard packed shell trails through mangrove forests and shome road. Flatter than flat. A little warmer here in Florida than I am used to at this time of year home in Canada but I was happy with my time. McMillan calculator shows over a minute improvement in my 10 k time from my last race. Maybe all the miles are working.

regards

Kevin

Great result! Are you still doing all your training at MAF or have you added some anerobic stuff?

Great result! Are you still doing all your training at MAF or have you added some anerobic stuff?

Still just doing maf pace. I have actually reduced a bit. I am running a lot more miles than I probably should be so I am running at maf-3 for a lot of runs rather than maf or maf+3. Maf for me is 133

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Great job on the race Kevin! Impressive time given that it took me an hour to complete the 5mi Turkey Trot! LOL Guess you haven't hit that broken down 65 yo stage yet! Shocked

Well as to upcoming race, my prep for 1/29 3M Half,  first half in 14 months since disastrous 12/2010 Decker Challenge, is going really well. Completed 2hrs on feet goal yesterday with a mid 14 overall pace. Am looking forward to a good race and superb goodie bag! LOL

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

BeeRunB

Manatee River Run 5 miler.

31:45 won my age group (45-49)

Course was fun, hard packed shell trails through mangrove forests and shome road. Flatter than flat. A little warmer here in Florida than I am used to at this time of year home in Canada but I was happy with my time. McMillan calculator shows over a minute improvement in my 10 k time from my last race. Maybe all the miles are working.

regards

Kevin

Awesome!!!! I congratulate you on some fine running, Kevin! Display that trophy proudly in the picture window!

Near the leg lamp.

--Jimmy

C-R

Nice on the AG win Kevin.

Ran the Disney marathon this weekend. Not really trained to race (no speedwork in the prior month) as I simply looked to build miles. managed a 3:31:52 with lots of stops for pictures (13 or 14) and potty stops (6).

My take away was that building base over the past three years via LHR has built a great foundation. To me it validates all of the theory and work.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tennesotans

I completed the Disney World Marathon this last Sunday Smile

I used the MARCO calculator to do a progressive heart rate strategy. I would say

this strategy delivered in the last eight miles. I've done this race twice

and the first time I was walking up hills by mile 20... and pretty much walked

all of mile 25. Seven of my last eight miles Sunday were faster than the last year.

The first race I had a positive split of 18 minutes. In the second race it was

a negative split of 3 minutes.

The UNFORTUNATE news was I was slower over all. And I knew it by mile 4.

Given my injuries for the year... starting and finishing were my top goals.

If you like reading race reports -- I'm the second to last posting on this forum page:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/official-sub-450-marathon-thread-aka-turtle-room/.195

Look for "tennesotans" Smile

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Good job T on the finish and improved race strategy.

bob e v

Well done on finishing, and good detailed report too!

I did the twilight 8k zoo run Wednesday - nice to run somewhere different!

It was a really tight winding course - to be expected I guess given that you are running around and through the zoo. It was a big turnout, which made passing people tricky. Lots of people were just strolling through.

Most of the animals seemed to be scared and hiding from the massive troupe of brightly coloured primates invading their territory. Only some birds, a lion and a Giraffe showed their heads (to me anyway). It was definitely a fun run, and I did it at a pretty easy pace along with a couple of friends. We finished in 39:48.

BeeRunB

I completed the Disney World Marathon this last Sunday Smile

I used the MARCO calculator to do a progressive heart rate strategy. I would say

this strategy delivered in the last eight miles. I've done this race twice

and the first time I was walking up hills by mile 20... and pretty much walked

all of mile 25. Seven of my last eight miles Sunday were faster than the last year.

The first race I had a positive split of 18 minutes. In the second race it was

a negative split of 3 minutes.

The UNFORTUNATE news was I was slower over all. And I knew it by mile 4.

Given my injuries for the year... starting and finishing were my top goals.

If you like reading race reports -- I'm the second to last posting on this forum page:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/official-sub-450-marathon-thread-aka-turtle-room/.195

Look for "tennesotans" Smile

Just read your report---sorry I missed this until now.

Nice finish. Pit crew and high tech--love it.

Keep going, T!

--Jimmy