Low HR Training

4 weeks and no progress (Read 1144 times)

tracey_lee

Does it typically take longer than 4 weeks to see some progress? I feel fine. No injuries yet. I am being faithful to the MAF formula and I am still at around a 11:00 to 10:30 pace.

Ideas?

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Have you done any MAF tests? That is where changes would be seen as opposed to daily running pace. BTW Your log is blocked so no one can take a look at it and make suggestions for improvements/changes.

I'm not an expert, but jimmyb should be along soon to clarify and correct! LOL

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

C-R

Bob is correct. The MAF test is where the results will show.

Do one of these as a baseline for the next workout.

From my experience is takes more than a month to see proper results. Depends on the person, but in my case I didn't start seeing the results I wanted until about the 4 month time frame.

MAF requires patience but it is well worth it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

What's was your weekly volume (duration) when you started, and now?

What is your MAF and how did you calculate it?

What does your weekly schedule look like? (e.g.. Monday=1 hour Tuesday 30 min, etc.)

Are you including anaerobic work (above MAF)?

Have you raced in the last 4 weeks?

Have you done an MAF test?

Is there a run that you do that is the same each week that is run at MAF (could use as an MAF test)? (Have you kept track of the variables for this run-- like temp, humidity, sun, time of day?)

Do you run past the point where your HR at the same pace is taking a big dive, or if you running at MAF do you run past the point where your pace has taken a steep dive?

Has stress levels remained the same over the past 4 weeks?

Does the rain in Spain fall mainly upon the plain?

Are you concerned about Brangelina and Jennifer Anniston?

--JimmyCool

I too am about 1 month into MAF.  In the last 2 weeks I lowered my MAF from 130 to 125 so my times and my MAF test are slower.

My mile per minute increased almost 2 minutes per mile when I started using a lower heart rate.  I now run really slow.  I did my first MAF test with the lower heart rate at the middle school track last night so I will have a baseline to use.

I am certain many go through this stage when he/she wonders if it is "working" and "worth it."

Last night my dog ran on the track with me lap after lap.  He looked like he was thinking "Where is the trail?  Who runs on a track?" 

Chris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It took about 18 months for my races to get back to where they were before starting maff. I was running maff - 8 most of the time. Maff is like weight loss. Long term should be the goal.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

It took me several months to see any progress and when that happened, it was still baby steps. My MAF pace didn't have a huge improvement until I was running for over a year and logged nearly 2000 miles.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Have you done any MAF tests? That is where changes would be seen as opposed to daily running pace.

if he runs everything at MAF then a separate MAF test isn't always necessary to see changes.

Does it typically take longer than 4 weeks to see some progress? I feel fine. No injuries yet. I am being faithful to the MAF formula and I am still at around a 11:00 to 10:30 pace.

Ideas?

it's a nice starting pace... how much do you run a week? if done right, should see progress at 6-8 weeks into it

C-R

if he runs everything at MAF then a separate MAF test isn't always necessary to see changes.

I don't agree with this as the environmental variables are not controlled from day to day. A controlled MAF test is the best way to baseline and measure progress.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

I don't agree with this as the environmental variables are not controlled from day to day. A controlled MAF test is the best way to baseline and measure progress.

I agree MAF tests are the best way, though you can see in your regular running at MAF how things are going in general. Variables have to be observed. Running 11:00ish  paces in July and 10:30ish in November might not be an indication of improvement, while the reverse would probably be true.

tracey_lee

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I haven't been around for a few days.

I think the weather has a lot to do with it. It's getting really cold out there and some days it's really windy. I might just splurge the $5 once a week and go run the indoor track and do a real test.

T

1. the environmental variables can be tracked and accounted for.

2. trends can be tracked easier and better if there is more data, not just an infrequent test that can be affected by non environmental variables (e.g. by your general state on the day of MAF test - the belief that a MAF test is totally "controlled" is false.).

+1. this is personal but this way no added stress of doing a specific test. in my case it can push HR up if I'm stressed like that. that's no good for a MAF test.

kfmfe04

1. the environmental variables can be tracked and accounted for.

2. trends can be tracked easier and better if there is more data, not just an infrequent test that can be affected by non environmental variables (e.g. by your general state on the day of MAF test - the belief that a MAF test is totally "controlled" is false.).

+1. this is personal but this way no added stress of doing a specific test. in my case it can push HR up if I'm stressed like that. that's no good for a MAF test.

I totally agree with cmon2 - as long as you keep good records (like weight, rhr, temperature, dewpoint, wgt before and after, water drank, etc...), it's usually not too hard to determine what caused a slowdown.  It's also possible to use indicators (create your own formula) to evaluate whether or not you are making improvements.  With every run as a data point, it's very easy to track and know quickly if something is wrong (overtraining, not enough rest, a bucket of KFC has made me slow, etc...).

YMMV, I also prefer not to do MAF tests - as mentioned by Jessie, all my tests are MAF tests.  Just the thought of a test has to add 5-10 bpm's for me...

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log

Shondek

I think maf tests were more relevant pre garmin/heart monitor days, if you are sure you are training under maf and have such a device you should be seeing a trend one way or another.I do a walking maf-25 for 5 mins or so at the start of every run and is a good indicator on how the run will go and how damaging/fruitful  the previous day run was, which saves time.I am not a fan of running 5 miles at maf .

Reducing my effort by 5 beats would be the first thing I would try to see how that goes.Ignore the slower pace and just go by how you feel after the run you may end up getting quicker after a few days..running at maf did little for me.

The first thing you should do after a Maf  test ..is have a maf test..Smile