Low HR Training

Warm-Up -- what exactly do you do for Warm-Up ? (Read 1011 times)

Beginner all over again

What exactly are you doing for Warm-Up?

I'm assuming it's a gradual increase to MAF? or?

How many minutes at MAF-minus-what  

For Warm-Up

I do

:05 MAF minus -40

:05 MAF minus -30

:05 MAF minus -20

:05 MAF minus -10.........................and this is the first Five minutes of my "run" time.  I don't count the WarmUp minutes

: and all further "run" minutes are at HR=MAF 

What do you do for a Cool-Down?

For my Cool-Down I simply walk, slowly to very-slowly, drink my water, check my emails, calendar, etc

My Cool-Down .---->  I now do 15-minutes slow easy walk

My Warm-Up I'm not sure what I should do exactly

Thanks Smile

BeeRunB

Hi Francis,

I take 20 minutes to warm up to my target HR. I bring the HR up gradually like this:

MAF RUNS (MAF=130)

5 minutes 100-106

5 minutes 106-112

5 minutes 112-118

5 minute 118-130 (if my target is 120, I make sure I'm at 120 by the end of 20 minutes)

For a tempo run, I'll then use an extra 5-10 minutes to get to and stabilize at the target HR.

Cool down is a 15-30 minute walk.

--JImmy

Hi Francis,

I take 20 minutes to warm up to my target HR. I bring the HR up gradually like this:

MAF RUNS (MAF=130)

5 minutes 100-106

5 minutes 106-112

5 minutes 112-118

5 minute 118-130 (if my target is 120, I make sure I'm at 120 by the end of 20 minutes)

For a tempo run, I'll then use an extra 5-10 minutes to get to and stabilize at the target HR.

Cool down is a 15-30 minute walk.

--JImmy

You must have way more time then I do. I just start running, no real warm up. My cooldown consists of walking to the house after I hit a .00 or .05 mark on the watch when I'm close to my driveway, then walk to the door.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

You must have way more time then I do. I just start running, no real warm up. My cooldown consists of walking to the house after I hit a .00 or .05 mark on the watch when I'm close to my driveway, then walk to the door.

I'm self-employed and do have the time. The warm-up is part of my run. If I'm running 90 minutes, it's the first 20 of the run. If I run 45 minutes, same thing. Cooldown is tagged on.  Sometimes I just do a warm-up and short cooldown as a workout (20-30 minutes).

--Jimmy

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I generally walk anywhere from 1/4 to 1 mi to warm up, which at my pace would be 15-20 min. Depends on how hilly. Longer on hills. Then slow jog another 1/2-1mi before shooting for maf-10 to -5. At some point in a run I'll push to maf if nothing is bothering me. Cool down I try for 1/2 mi walk, but more frequently its 1/2 mi or less. 

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

with the MAF warmup, I found that paying attention to HR didn't work as good as paying attention to how my legs feel. my legs would get too sore that way (HR way) and it did not feel like proper warmup for my legs.

so when I realized that, after that I just made sure the HR was low enough and the exact HR didn't matter as long as my legs felt comfortable.

warmup needs to be at least 10mins, it also depends on how fast you warm up, there's individual differences. in my case 15mins is enough to get the HR levelling out (no further "warmup increase" in HR). after this quarter of an hour if the pace is not fast enough to be at MAF, I just increase pace in one go to be at the MAF pace.

also, when I said "low enough" that would be MAF minus 10-15 bpm or so but only after the HR went up a bit from the resting value. in my case my HR goes up a lot in the very first minute of warmup and then increases slower for about 10-15mins before levelling out. so in my case, it would be MAF minus 10-15 bpm after 1 minute of slow running - I entirely go by feel in this first minute and ignore HR. I don't worry because after a while of practicing LHR you will feel anyway if it is slow enough or not.

ok I don't know if my description is useful or easy to read at all. sum up is that I rely a lot on feelings for warm-up because I already learnt how the MAF stuff feels like and because it simply works better for me this way. HRM is actively used too but it is only one part of the control for me.

oh and let me add, since I got the garmin (I did not have it a year ago), I rely even less on the HR, I look at the pace to see if it is definitely not too fast. ceiling for warmup to a MAF run is simply MAF pace for me. the rest depends on how legs feel. after I fully warmed up (15mins) I turn off pace display in the garmin and just watch HR afterwards. a typical warmup with garmin would then be: assume my MAF pace is 11min/mile. in first 3-4 mins I might feel like going at 12min/mile and then as muscle efficiency increases with warming up, my pace naturally gets to 11min/mile and then I hold it there until HR fully warmed up and from then I turn off pace display so it doesn't bother me.

of course HR values may override what the pace shows, on a bad day 11:00 could have my HR go up too fast and then I know that my MAF pace that day is worse and will slow the pace a bit. 

cool down for me is just a few mins of walking back to the bus stop to go home. I don't need more than that. this is also individual.

Beginner all over again

Does it matter whether Walk or Jog ?

Or is it just by HR?

I was doing four five-minute intervals to take 20 minutes to get to MAF

but I was doing it in 10-beat increments, not 5-beat increments.

Interesting.

Thanks for Sharing!

BeeRunB

Does it matter whether Walk or Jog ?

Or is it just by HR?

I was doing four five-minute intervals to take 20 minutes to get to MAF

but I was doing it in 10-beat increments, not 5-beat increments.

Interesting.

Thanks for Sharing!

You can do ten beat increments, and walk or jog. Just do it in a way that's gradually brings your HR up to your target zone by 15-20 minutes in a way you enjoy or suits you.

Personally, I have major issues with my Garmin HR Monitor(s) during warmup (and a few issues apart from that too) so I just go by feel - I usually walk 5-10 mins, then slow run 10+. At this stage, my HR monitor usually has stopped playing random number generator (it gave me 300 recently!) and I can start running at MAF minus a few beats.

My cooldown is usually a walk back in bare feet/socks.

zonykel

I do a 1-mile warm up. My HR when I'm standing is roughly around 75-85 bpm. As soon as I start jogging lightly, it gets to 100-105 bpm and I try to keep it at that level for a few minutes. Because the area where I live is not flat, it's hard to maintain a level HR at a given pace. But the idea is that I raise my HR over time to get as close to 131 bpm by the end of the 1-mile warm up. Then in the second mile I try to move from 131 to 141 bpm, which is my MAF HR. The rest of my miles I try to stay close to MAF HF, but I can tell you that if I feel "tired", I don't have a problem going well below MAF HR. Going downhill presents a challenge for me. My legs may not be up for the challenge of going fast, so I just go along a little faster than normal, but I may not try to keep up the MAF HR.

When I cool down I do nearly the opposite. I slow down significantly for about half a mile, and then I walk the last half mile (or longer).

When I use a treadmill, it's easier to manage warm ups and cool downs, at least for me.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Personally, I have major issues with my Garmin HR Monitor(s) during warmup (and a few issues apart from that too) so I just go by feel - I usually walk 5-10 mins, then slow run 10+. At this stage, my HR monitor usually has stopped playing random number generator (it gave me 300 recently!) and I can start running at MAF minus a few beats.

My cooldown is usually a walk back in bare feet/socks.

You need to wet it  significantly before running.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I do a 1-mile warm up. My HR when I'm standing is roughly around 75-85 bpm. As soon as I start jogging lightly, it gets to 100-105 bpm and I try to keep it at that level for a few minutes. Because the area where I live is not flat, it's hard to maintain a level HR at a given pace. But the idea is that I raise my HR over time to get as close to 131 bpm by the end of the 1-mile warm up. Then in the second mile I try to move from 131 to 141 bpm, which is my MAF HR. The rest of my miles I try to stay close to MAF HF, but I can tell you that if I feel "tired", I don't have a problem going well below MAF HR. Going downhill presents a challenge for me. My legs may not be up for the challenge of going fast, so I just go along a little faster than normal, but I may not try to keep up the MAF HR.

When I cool down I do nearly the opposite. I slow down significantly for about half a mile, and then I walk the last half mile (or longer).

When I use a treadmill, it's easier to manage warm ups and cool downs, at least for me.

interesting.. my standing HR (when standing reaaaally still) is around 60-65, but I can't keep the HR at 105 with any kind of jogging. I walk between 80-110 depending on walk pace (80 is slooooooooow "walk") but no chance for jogging.... okay, maybe if I run on a steep downhill :P

You need to wet it  significantly before running.

Cheers,

yeah I think I wasn't wetting it enough, just a bit of spit, wetting properly does seem to help,

the other thing I've tried is switching to cotton T-shirts (less static)

both reduce (but dont eliminate, for me anyway) the weird readings.