Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23290 times)

Evening! 2.2 miles today in 33:40, 15:19 average pace, ave. HR 134. Air temp 14F--downright balmy.

Sounds like you've recovered nicely, Damaris!

Furthur: I always think of ellipticals as cross-training. But it's your log, so it's not cheating if  logging it that way that works for you.

Have a good weekend, everybody!

Hey everybody!

I just started Maffing this week, and thought I try posting in here. It's pretty interesting reading about others' experiences with this.

Today's run felt a little warm. 67 degrees with 55% humidity. I'm running a 1.2ish mile trail loop so the times aren't mile splits but laps:

Warm-up   19:10 @ 115    

lap 1            18:33 @ 136   max 151     1 min over 144

lap 2            18:36 @ 143   max 151     >7 mins over 144

lap 3            19:20 @ 141   max 151     5 mins over 144

lap 4            19:08 @ 138   max 148     only 45 seconds spent over 144!!

Lap 3 I was getting frustrated with the heart rate fluctuations. Trying to stay as close as possible to 142 (MAF = 144) so I don't spend too much time over has my heart rate on a bit of a roller coaster. I'll run for a while then notice my heart rate is too low... speed up and it goes too high... walk to bring it down... too low... speed up too high...

So I decided to just run the last lap super easy and not even look at the watch. I ran the whole lap (aside from two steep switchbacks) and the heart rate was much more stable.

I am thinking that will be my plan from now on. I'll pay attention warming up and during the first lap to get a feel for what my pace should be that day then just run.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

Docket_Rocket

Thanks majope!

5 miles at 140 HR and 11:19mm.  Not bad for that pace.  Not bad at all.  And 4 days post marathon even better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chasing the bus

Planned to do 90 min on elliptical...35 was all I could stand, I don't really know why, but I should have gutted it out. Swapped to treadmill and felt instantly better until, only 5 min.'s in, near the top of my right side fibia, SHARP pain, like STOP RUNNING NOW! So that's both knees now.

Tempted to say I'm off for a bit, but I know I'll be wondering if I can run tomorrow... I thought I was taking it slow. My milage for the week is blown now, but worse may be not running at all.

Hope you all have a better weekend!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Ouch, Furthur! Hope your knees recover soon.

lynde--Managing HR is really hard at first--it does get easier (I'm on my 11th week). For now, I'd try to stop worrying when you think your HR is too low. If it's lowish when you get to the hillier parts of your route, that will give you more room for your HR to rise without going over. Spending minutes above MAF isn't ideal, but like I said, it'll get better!

Damaris--Nice! I dream of 11-ish miles at MAF...

I went out for an hour today in the snow. New powder underfoot, still falling, lovely. 3.8 miles, 1:01:12 time, pace 16:07, ave HR 131 (MAF 136). Snow slowed my pace a bit, but my HR was good so I'm satisfied. Felt good today!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

7 miles AHR 125. MAFF HR 123. I normally use 125. Have not adjusted for AG in 2 years.

It is better to be under maff  than over maff. You will start to notice the frequency in which  the more  experienced runners will be under maff on a regular basis.

We need a sticky for maff testimonials. I'm a believer Big grin.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Majope, when I started marathon training for Berlin, I could barely run at 11:45 and 147HR. I slowed down a bit and within two months my pace was at 11mm and 144 HR. and this was in the Summer with 96F and 76 dewpoint. Furthur, ouch. Hope it feels better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

dallison

registered pw

I ran a 5k this morning and mile three was a  6:15 m/m and my avg  hr  was 148 and my maf is 145, max was 160. The first two miles were obviously higher but i really settled into a groove. I was shocked by these results.

Then i ran 8 miles and i really tried hard to keep my pace slow and was having some issues. It seemed that once i dropped below 145 to say 130 it then jumped up to 151. I don't know if it was the cotton shirt or maybe i kept speeding up once i heard the beeping.

but all was well.

<form><input type="hidden" name="j_id208" value="j_id208" />

<colgroup span="12"></colgroup> <tfoot> </tfoot>

Split
                  Split

Hours:Minutes:Seconds
                  Time

Hours:Minutes:Seconds
                  Moving Time

Miles
                  Distance

Feet
                  Elevation Gain

Feet
                  Elevation Loss

Minutes per Mile
                  Avg Pace

Minutes per Mile
                  Avg Moving Pace

Minutes per Mile
                  Best Pace

Beats per Minute
                  Avg HR

Beats per Minute
                  Max HR

Calories
                  Calories

Summary 1:19:44.5 1:18:59.0 8.21 103 103 9:43 9:37 7:43 144 164 613
                  1 9:45.4 9:44 1.00 41 39 9:45 9:44 7:43 139 156 32
                  2 9:07.4 8:57 1.00 0 5 9:07 8:57 7:50 143 164 35
                  3 9:37.3 9:38 1.00 0 8 9:37 9:38 8:38 150 160 92
                  4 9:53.7 9:41 1.00 10 0 9:54 9:41 8:28 148 159 96
                  5 9:30.1 9:28 1.00 0 10 9:30 9:28 8:10 146 157 98
                  6 9:57.0 9:53 1.00 6 0 9:57 9:53 8:28 148 156 104
                  7 9:40.2 9:39 1.00 6 0 9:40 9:39 7:43 141 157 68
                  8 10:00.3 9:57 1.00 23 34 10:00 9:57 8:30 143 155 73
                  9 2:13.1 2:02 0.21 16 8 10:32 9:39 7:55 130 154
                  </form>

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

BeeRunB

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.  It was not a good day.  Marathon # 10 will go down in history as one of my most painful.  Dust and wind caused a massive asthma attack (I am allergic to dustmites) at Mile 9.  It all went downhill after that.

Having said that, the first 9 miles had my HR exactly at 160 and the paces felt easy.  I'll get to practice running like this again.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris, on first read, I thought you had dropped out after mile 9---but you actually finished the race!!!

Congrats on finishing marathon #10!

NUMBER TEN

Think about that. Each one run with the possibility of an asthma attack.

You're a true warrior, and your stature in this forum has quickly risen to that of Endurogoddess!

Thanks for the inspiration. A true kick in my tight pants.

Awesome.

--JimmyCool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

6 miles HR125

dallison--congrats

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Terrible run, as far as Maffing goes. Went out after sunset for a 2-hour run. First few miles were great, then I headed into the woods. Turns out they look very different in the dark. I almost turned left, decided it was too early, now THIS must be my left...it wasn't. I didn't want to go back, because I still didn't know if that first left was the one I wanted or another one later on, and I figured I was heading in vaguely the right direction. The woods were lovely, dark, and deep--yeah, I'll give them that. But the snow was up to mid-calf, I was in a bit of a panic about where the hell I was, and surely there aren't any wild animals to worry about in Finland...right?

All of that combined to skyrocket my HR to 169. It hasn't been that high since September! 

Eventually, the path I was on intersected with the one I'd originally come out on, and I was able to find my way back. Well, obviously. 'Cause here I am. 

Stats are:

7.52 miles, 2:01:12, ave pace 16:07, ave HR 139, max 169 (MAF is 136).

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, Jimmy!

majope, sorry about the tough run.  BTW, what are you doing in Finland, again?

dallison, I get some weird readings sometimes and it's my sports bra.  So the shirt being an issue sounds possible.  In those days, I run by effort and ignore the HR.

Everybody I missed, great job on the runs.  have a great day!

I ran a HM this morning in 97% humidity and mid 70s (gotta love (ahem, hate) Miami).  I wasn't racing but I loved how my HR stayed at 165 for the 9mm at the beginning and less than MP heart rate when I was running at 10mm.  Very strong run indeed.  And the fact that I didn't have an asthma attack in 97% humidity while running 9:51mm or faster is good news.  Will see how much ass I have left tomorrow after the asthma/allergy doctor appointment.  She has not heard of the Vegas marathon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

majope, I completely agree that in deep woods after dark nothing seems the same. I start thinking every dark spot must be a bear, and every noise is a stalking mountain lion (I grew up on the west coast). No way I could maintain MAF.

Docket_Rocket, that makes me feel a lot happier about my 70 deg with 55% humidity! Note to self: don't move to Miami!!!!! Good luck with the doc tomorrow.

Not that I am all that good at staying under MAF (144) during daylight.

I was able to get out for a nice long run up at Mt. Cheaha. 16 miles, 5 hours, something over 5300ft elevation change (~ 2.5 miles of elevation data not recorded), average heart rate 143, max 165, but I was nearly always between 134-154. Lots of roots, rocks, creeks and waterfalls. Wish I had brought a camera. I even ran unto a hiker going the opposite direction who used to run road 50 milers. Awesome. Did a lot of walking, sometimes fast, sometimes slow and some running, mostly the downhills.

And on the way home, got and actually finished, a whole quart of chocolate milk Big grin mmmmmm life is good!

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

majope, sorry about the tough run.  BTW, what are you doing in Finland, again?

My husband is teaching at the University of Oulu for a semester--and luckily, there's a school in town that teaches in English, so my son and I got to come along. Got here in August, and are going home mid-January.

I'll be sorry to leave, but I'm just now also starting to look forward to being back in the States.

Congrats on the humid HM! 

lynde--I grew up in bear country (Adirondack mts., then Vermont). I'm pretty sure there aren't any around here, but in the dark...in the woods...they're behind every tree. Sounds like you had a lovely run--I do miss mountains.

Docket_Rocket

That is an awesome experience. Enjoy your time there! Are you in Oslo proper? Have you gone to the park that is called life or something like that? Lots of body statues. I can post a picture after I get out of the doctor.

Damaris

Fundraising Page