Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23290 times)

wait, you crashed in the recovery week? then it wasn't a recovery week Surprised

What I meant is that I crashed at the end of the previous week (3/3/2011).  I then took a recovery week.  I have not run above MAF since that day.  My last 8 runs have been at MAF or below MAF and I have had 3 rest days mixed in there.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

4 mile + 1 mile CD. HR 119 / 159.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

What I meant is that I crashed at the end of the previous week (3/3/2011).  I then took a recovery week.  I have not run above MAF since that day.  My last 8 runs have been at MAF or below MAF and I have had 3 rest days mixed in there.

cool, I hope the recovery week helped you.

Course: reasonable traction
          Distance: 6.67 miles
          Duration: 1:28:57
          Pace: 13:20 / mile
          Heart Rate: Average: 124
          Weather: 14° F, Sunny

I've been using a program on my phone to track my "Heart Rate Variance"... in theory its tracking my

general health and gives me a warning if I'm overtraining. Yesterday I was scheduled for a long

two hour run but my HRV software said I was too tired (first time in six weeks of use that I've been in the "red").

So I took yesterday off and snuck in 90 minutes this morning. I'm definitely seeming improving times

since beginning this journey. Its been a leap of faith Smile

what software is this, and what HRM do you have?

Tennesotans

http://www.myithlete.com/

They make a little receiver that plugs into the iPhone's headphone jack. You can use

various analog heart monitors. They sell two apps, one for HRV and the other for HRM.

The HRV app works just fine... (I'm only 6 weeks into it, but it seems to be tracking my general fitness well).

I have trouble with their HRM software -- maybe I'm using it wrong :: shrug ::

They have a new version in the works, I hope I like it better.

They pretty much introduced me to the "180 rule"/MAF testing Smile

http://philmaffetone.com/hrv.cfm

There is a good interview, with the creator of ithlete. This application eliminates the false signalling in HR measurements that can be seen during parasympathic overtraining stages. It also allows you to monitor your aerobic health on a daily basis.

http://www.myithlete.com/

They make a little receiver that plugs into the iPhone's headphone jack. You can use

various analog heart monitors. They sell two apps, one for HRV and the other for HRM.

The HRV app works just fine... (I'm only 6 weeks into it, but it seems to be tracking my general fitness well).

I have trouble with their HRM software -- maybe I'm using it wrong :: shrug ::

They have a new version in the works, I hope I like it better.

They pretty much introduced me to the "180 rule"/MAF testing Smile

I'm still curious which HRM do you use ?

I don't understand why this is only available for iphone, what's wrong making it for PC's too?.....they'd get a bigger user base.....

not that it would work very well for me :P , because if I know something's checking my HR while I'm at rest then my HR will just go up and down like crazy (psychological response)...it would think I have a high HRV (high HRV=healthy) even when I may not. I have had to devise my own methods to get reliable measurement of RHR because of that... :P

Tennesotans

ithlete is both my HRV software and my HRM software (two separate apps in the iPhone app store).

When I go out for a run, I put on my HR strap, carry my iphone (with the ithlete adapter) in my pocket, and run.

My iPhone plays music, records my HR, and tracks my speed/position/time (using an app called RunKeeper).

The RunKeeper info is upload to the web as I'm running (my wife can track where I am as I run... useful for loooong

runs). The HRM data I have to email to myself at the end of the run.

To measure my HRV -- when I wake up, I put on my HR strap, and run the HRV software once again on my phone.

I hope I'm making some sense.... Smile

@oguz -- neat link Smile

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

mmm will have to see if there is an Android app...

Got 4 mi in this morning. Pasting RA output

Intervals (GPS Interval)
                     TypeDistanceTimeTotal TimePaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                    1 Interval 0.49 mi 8:08.05 8:08.05 16:37 77 81 walk incline, 20 heel drops
                    2 Interval 1 mi 13:57.58 22:05.63 13:58 91 98 jog dowhill, walk steepest incline
                    3 Interval 1 mi 13:59.31 36:04.94 14:00 97 102  
                    4 Interval 1 mi 14:36.63 50:41.57 14:37 94 100  
                    5 Interval 0.57 mi 10:14.80 1:00:56.37 17:59 86 94 mostly cool down walk, very slow jog

First neighborhood run trying revised approach for warming up the left calf/shin. A very tolerable run. Interestingly, there was more tightness in walks on inclines than when jogging, even on the less steep inclines. Wonder what the physiology is with that?

Am planning on running with a BF group at college track tonight. A two fer day! LOL

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

ithlete is both my HRV software and my HRM software (two separate apps in the iPhone app store).

When I go out for a run, I put on my HR strap, carry my iphone (with the ithlete adapter) in my pocket, and run.

My iPhone plays music, records my HR, and tracks my speed/position/time (using an app called RunKeeper).

The RunKeeper info is upload to the web as I'm running (my wife can track where I am as I run... useful for loooong

runs). The HRM data I have to email to myself at the end of the run.

To measure my HRV -- when I wake up, I put on my HR strap, and run the HRV software once again on my phone.

I hope I'm making some sense.... Smile

@oguz -- neat link Smile

yeah it does make sense, thanks. it's uber geeky to have your phone upload your info continuously as you're running Smile I don't even take my phone for my runs Smile I'm a big geek but I just don't feel the need to bring my phone with me.

don't take that as criticism, I can see how it's useful to keep your wife happy Cool

as for HRM - I was asking about the brand of the HRM. just curiosity. I have a garmin 305 myself. (not that I'll buy ithlete because I'm not buying an iphone just for that... if it was PC compatible I might consider it ...as I would somehow find a way to solve the "getting excited" issue about measuring the RHR with itSmile )

First neighborhood run trying revised approach for warming up the left calf/shin. A very tolerable run. Interestingly, there was more tightness in walks on inclines than when jogging, even on the less steep inclines. Wonder what the physiology is with that?

Am planning on running with a BF group at college track tonight. A two fer day! LOL

interesting...walking uphill is easier on my calves for me than jogging. are you walking brisk or just walking "lazy"?

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

interesting...walking uphill is easier on my calves for me than jogging. are you walking brisk or just walking "lazy"?

I walk briskly during the warm up. Generally slower during the jog/run. 

bob e v
                          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Tennesotans

as for HRM - I was asking about the brand of the HRM. just curiosity. I have a garmin 305 myself. (not that I'll buy ithlete because I'm not buying an iphone just for that... if it was PC compatible I might consider it ...as I would somehow find a way to solve the "getting excited" issue about measuring the RHR with itSmile )

At this point -- my iPhone is a small computer that happens to make phone calls Smile

Its fairly large to be running with... in winter it rides in my windbreaker... in summer it rides in my spibelt.

When I bought the original iPhone... I neeeever thought it would be part of my running (I'd used an iPod nano

with a Nike+ thing... my HRM was originally a Polar <something> -- I replaced it with a Timex).

Now its a strap and a phone -- wacky -- I can very accurately measure just how slow I am! Wink

At this point -- my iPhone is a small computer that happens to make phone calls Smile

Its fairly large to be running with... in winter it rides in my windbreaker... in summer it rides in my spibelt.

When I bought the original iPhone... I neeeever thought it would be part of my running (I'd used an iPod nano

with a Nike+ thing... my HRM was originally a Polar <something> -- I replaced it with a Timex).

Now its a strap and a phone -- wacky -- I can very accurately measure just how slow I am! Wink

yeah I know what you mean, my phone is also a small computer that doesn't even happen to make phone calls that often. so iphone doesn't have a place to fill here Smile

btw my phone does have a GPS...and wanted to try using it for measuring my sloooow pace Smile but then I decided to get HRM+GPS in one so I can just wear it on my wrist. gives me some extra freedom for running (don't have to put a belt on or anything) Smile

BeeRunB

Double today

@MAF

55:00 am

50:00 pm

--Jimmy