Low HR Training

Hadd experiences? (Read 926 times)

Yeah... I think I've decided I'm going to do a couple of months of low-intensity, high volume stuff. But I'm not sure I'm going to spend all my time watching my heart rate and making sure it's on exactly the right rate (whatever "right" might be for me)... just check every so often to see it's not too high.

in that case (not checking HR much) I would say do at least make sure you don't feel any strain. when you finish the run feel like you could have run the same distance and same pace again without any difficulty aerobically.

(this is of course significantly more "tolerating" than MAF or Hadd base building HR/intensity. i.e. this allows you to run a bit faster, though it would still be slow...)

or did you mean you would still bring the HRM with you for every run but just check it only a couple of times in an hour? the above suggestion was for running without HRM...

in that case (not checking HR much) I would say do at least make sure you don't feel any strain. when you finish the run feel like you could have run the same distance and same pace again without any difficulty aerobically.

(this is of course significantly more "tolerating" than MAF or Hadd base building HR/intensity. i.e. this allows you to run a bit faster, though it would still be slow...)

or did you mean you would still bring the HRM with you for every run but just check it only a couple of times in an hour? the above suggestion was for running without HRM...

I plan to run with the HRM, and I'm sure I'll check it more often than a couple of times an hour. I suspect that with practice I'll get better about keeping a constant(ish) heart rate. At the moment tho' I have to stare at the thing more or less all the time to keep heart rate just so.

I could set it to beep at me when I go over a certain rate.

Out of interest I did the test today (2.4km at different heart rates). Raw data here. Summary of pace for each HR:

HR min/km min/mile
        140 5:40 9:08
        150 5:05 8:11
        160 4:34 7:21
        170 4:17 6:53
        180 4:02 6:29

I did yo-yo around the target heart rates a little bit, but overall I was pretty close most of the time.

Another one today, paces in min/km at each of the 5 heart rates: 5:54, 5:03, 4:37, 4:14, 3:58. So really not that different, although a few seconds per km faster at the higher heart rates, which I guess is a good thing, although I'm not sure it's a big enough difference to count as significant.

Another one today, paces in min/km at each of the 5 heart rates: 5:54, 5:03, 4:37, 4:14, 3:58. So really not that different, although a few seconds per km faster at the higher heart rates, which I guess is a good thing, although I'm not sure it's a big enough difference to count as significant.

interesting..were you doing only 140bpm runs or were there some ILTHR runs too? (the ones designed to push lactate threshold up to a higher HR)

interesting..were you doing only 140bpm runs or were there some ILTHR runs too? (the ones designed to push lactate threshold up to a higher HR)

Through December I was pretty much doing 140bpm runs only. The first week of January I ran very little due to a bad cough and cold. Since then I've been doing a variety of heart-rates/paces. But I haven't been using my HRM all the time as the strap was causing some irritation on my chest.

My log is public so you can see exactly what I've been doing...